Is My Hard Drive Dead? or how to getdata back

1. using win xp then i've noticed my computer freezing up frequently and its filled with over 100 GB of data which i did not get to backup on DVD yet.... SATA config jumper set 150

i was trying to resolve the issue with the feezing so i uninstalled my antivirus Nod32 then i disconnect power of SATA then uninstall the Silicon drivers from manage, then when i reboot the machine (still did not connect power yet) the i see new device detected and installed from windows then i power off machine connect my power to SATA then all i see is the part where the little bars runs from left to right from the windows bootup screen.

so therefore i cannot logon to windows with the SATA connected.

2. SATA config jumper set NONE / Default.

Windows booted with the Drive connected, but i had to go to manager and mark ACTIVE then Add a letter... when i tried opening the drive am just getting the hour glass and nothing happens.

am not getting any noise from the hard drive.

.......... no os installed just used as storage .........

i really need these files i spent weeks finding and downloading :unsure:

Edited by ideas

Well, your troubleshooting was very bad. If you have another desktop, connect the drive as a slave and see if that works. Burn your data with Nero Lite Micro to DVDs. I'd recommend checking your RAM with MemTest86 for any errors and the appropriate tool for your HDD to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

If the freezing is because of software, then check your Startup entries, clean your temp/cache with CCleaner, reinstall/update your drivers with those from the manufacturer's and defragment your HDD.

thanks for the quick and knowledgable experienced reply... sounds like that would work, but if it does'nt what else can i try jus in case or even worst case scenario...

Edited by ideas

hi, i tried it in another computer and it worked great.... so i re-programmed my os and the same thing still happens, memory test passed but when i looked into my eventlog it shows me

Type Source

error SI3112

and a message from "Service Control Manager "

says, At least one or more service or driver failed during system setup. use event viewer to....

:blink::unsure:

am using Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra MB

Edited by ideas

well the SI3112 error is your sata drive's driver. so try to reinstall the driver if you have it, if that doesnt work then its gotta be the drive.

Why do you think its the drive and it working perfectly in another computer for 2 days now without any problems?

listen its now booting with the Drive, but i have some driver issues... even without the drive connected i still get the message that says At least one or more service or driver failed during system setup. use event viewer to....

how do i completely remove the drivers and install new drivers freshly?

Edited by ideas

with the drive disconnected, of course there will be a problem, the system is trying to start something that isn't there.

the drivers are probably in your system32 folder. the easiest thing to do is reinstall windows.

now i have disabled sata from bios, re-installed windows and when i rebooted enabled SATA Base or even RAID it does open then like about 30 seconds after when opening any folder the hour glass started and you have to wait like forever to close or come out of the drive. But if i use the drive in my friends computer it works great...

my board is about 4-5yrs old.... Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra MB, do you think i need (Flash BIOS) any special modified updated BIOS?

there is no master/slave with sata

its master only

am not understanding what you're trying to say to me.... am just using this drive as storage only, am not installing or running any OS.... just storage, never installed any os

Edited by ideas