[Discontinued] iTunes without QuickTime

Shark007

thanks again shark, grabbing the english release and waiting for the multi-language.

edit: i'm glad you removed iTunesHelper.exe from startup. thanks again.

Edited by elajua

i have downloaded the file now i want to make an add-on of it ... should i create directly cab file of it ? or doing complete process for making silent install ? or its allready an a silent install file ?

DEFINITIONS

switchless installer; execute = installed, no user interaction.

silent installer; execute = installed, no user interaction, no visual interface.

All the files on my site are switchless installers.

shark

Hey friends, i'm just a novice user though, but i was just playing with the iTunes setup and I somehow got it working without installation.

1. Inatalled iTunes (without Quicktime but Quicktime Alternative installed)

2. Copied iTunes folder from Program Files to some other location.

3. uninstalled iTunes.

4. Did a reboot

5. Ran iTunes from that saved folder and it worked but showed me message about CD burning & CDdatabase.

My solution:

6. Installed Gear drivers (ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/drivers/Driver_Installer.exe)

7. Registered "CDDBControlApple.dll" (present in iTunes folder) (regsvr32 CDDBControlApple.dll)

Result, iTunes working without any bloatware. The whole iTunes folder is now 28Mb with language files deleted. If i compress it, takes down to 12Mb (Rar max solid compression).

I'm also posting whatever i did above. Please spare me friends as this is a very rudimentary (iexpress) installer. Most of the job it'll do silently, i've only kept the user prompts. You'll still need to install QT Alternative. please just let me know if this works... at all :S

File: iTunes 7.6.exe (13Mb)

Link: http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/1221329_...y/iTunes7.6.EXE

I thought this might be helpful for others as well.

Thanx a lot for this great forum!

Edited by Antrix

• 1 month later...

Hi Shark,

my mother bought a Ipod Touch so i had 2 install Itunes.

First i installed the your quicktime package, then Itunes.

But when I connected the Ipod it said: "Something wrong with the Itunes installation, you need to uninstall then reinstall Itunes"

Tried that but got the same error message.

Then I uninstalled "your" version Itunes only, and installed the official one, no prob.

do you know what caused this?

anyway thanx for alot of great packages :thumbup

Hi Shark,

my mother bought a Ipod Touch so i had 2 install Itunes.

First i installed the your quicktime package, then Itunes.

But when I connected the Ipod it said: "Something wrong with the Itunes installation, you need to uninstall then reinstall Itunes"

Tried that but got the same error message.

Then I uninstalled "your" version Itunes only, and installed the official one, no prob.

do you know what caused this?

anyway thanx for alot of great packages :thumbup

The problem most likely comes from my version of quicktime not iTunes. I have not modified Itunes at all.

The official iTunes 'updated' quicktime to the official release.

My version of quicktime is stripped down to a browser plugin.

I'll update my page to let people know my quicktime is not compatible with iTunes.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

shark

Oh!

Thanks for the info on your QuickTime release because just yesterday i recommended it to a friend along with your iTunes.

I must tell him to install QuickTime Alternative.

On a side note, i install you iTunes in some machines for people with iPods. I install on my comps to update the firmware of my Nano and the other other i had to reset for the first time. It is a PITA that you have to be connected to the internet in order to reset you iPod. iTunes will never cease to annoy me enough with thing like this ;)

Regards.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
iTunes 7.7 is out :)

I'm old, and I'm slow, I also use dialup ... sometimes poking me helps, Thanks

a.s.a.p. . . .

shark

Haha funny...no need to rush just take your time...tnx again for making this for us. ) :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup