Windows XP & deploying Programs

I have 3 P.C's at home 1=mine and the other 2 are for the kids, what i need to do is to be able to log onto there pc's by remote (i.e. from my pc), as well as run updates and install software to there pc's. so can anyone help me with the way to set up the network so i can do it please, al 3 pc's are running xp pro as well as just running as a workgroup.

With Thanks

Paul

Data0002

Use Remote Desktop. It comes built-in with Windows XP Pro (not Home).

To enable it, as an admin, right-click on "My Computer" and choose Properties. You will see a Remote Utilisation tab. Click it.

You will then see a Remote Desktop checkbox in the middle of the window. Make sure it is checked and give yourself the right to use Remote Desktop.

Now, to log onto a kid's computer from yours, there's is an icon in the start menu called Remote Desktop. If you can't find it, click Start, Execute and type mstsc.exe. Just enter the computer DNS name, NetBios name or IP address and voila.

Note that nobody will be able to use the computer from the keyboard while you are remotely logged.

Thanks for your reply, what i need to do is do it so that the kids can do the things that they want. in other words it needs to be done silently. ie some programs can be deployed from a centrel point (diskeeper), without upsetting the other end.

With thanks

Paul

Data0002

If you want to do it silently, you can have either System Management Server or Active Directory domain.

In both cases, it will cost you about 1000 pounds... plus the hardware...

If I were you, I'd keep kicking the kids of their PCs... They should go to bed from time to time, no? Maybe you can do the upgrades at this moment...

I wish i could but the pc's are in their bedrooms, so its no go at this time of night

Paul

data0002 :rolleyes:

set up a Scheduled Tasks thing and set it to run sliently in the background for maintanice use Auto Update for the Windows Updates not sure on the programs mind :)

The program i use to fiddle with my server at home, from my desktop PC, without having to change pcs, is tightvnc. Its very small, very easy to install and set up, and im pretty sure it'll do what you're asking. Best of all, its freeware :)

www.tightvnc.com

what i need to do is to be able to log onto there pc's by remote (i.e. from my pc), as well as run updates and install software to there pc's.

This is easily done. You do not need SMS as someone else suggested, or AD. Just make sure the administrator passwords are all set to be the same, for ease of use. Disable simple file sharing. Copy the file you wish to launch to the PC using UNC paths. ( \\PCNAME\c$ to access c drive ) then create an AT statement on the PC with silent installation switches.

You can do this manually or through a script... I prefer the latter.

Lets say you want to install hotfixes. You could do it this way...

This script will automatically determine what hotfixes you want to install by searching directories for the files and then doing whats needed. After you have run the script then you just clean out the directories and add new ones as they are available.

Create directories for each type on your local PC and copy each type there.

c:\hotfixes\win\1\

c:\hotfixes\win\2\

c:\hotfixes\ie\1\

then create a file with the name of all of your PCs you wish to update.

pcs.txt

COMPUTER1
COMPUTER2

Then create a batch script to do what it is you want to do.

update.cmd

@echo off
title Hotfix script
echo Enter time in the following fashion:  HH:MM am
set /p runtime=Please enter what time you wish to run hotfixes on PCs:

:: searches for files
dir /b c:\hotfixes\win\1\*.exe>>win1.txt
dir /b c:\hotfixes\win\2\*.exe>>win2.txt
dir /b c:\hotfixes\ie\1\*.exe>>ie1.txt

:: creates script to copy hotfix files.
for /f %%i IN (win1.txt) DO echo copy %%i \\%%1\c$\hotfixes\win\1\%%i>>c:\copyhotfixes.cmd
for /f %%i IN (win2.txt) DO echo copy %%i \\%%1\c$\hotfixes\win\2\%%i>>c:\copyhotfixes.cmd
for /f %%i IN (ie1.txt) DO echo copy %%i \\%%1\c$\hotfixes\ie\1\%%
i>>c:\copyhotfixes.cmd

:: creates script to run previous script to each PC
for /f %%i IN (pcs.txt) DO echo copyhotfixes.cmd %%i>>copycmds.cmd

:: creates script that will be run from network PC
for /f %%i IN (win1.txt) DO echo c:\hotfixes\win\1\%%i /q:a /r:n>>c:\runhotfixes.cmd
for /f %%i IN (win2.txt) DO echo c:\hotfixes\win\2\%%i -u -q -z>>c:\runhotfixes.cmd
for /f %%i IN (ie1.txt) DO echo c:\hotfixes\ie\1\%%i /q:a /r:n>>c:\runhotfixes.cmd

:: add previous script to copycmds.cmd script
for /f %%i IN (pcs.txt) DO echo copy c:\runhotfixes.cmd \\%%i\c$\runhotfixes.cmd>>copycmds.cmd

:: creates script to create AT statement on network PCs
for /f %%i IN (pcs.txt) DO echo AT \\%%i %runtime% "c:\runhotfixes.cmd">>runat.cmd
runat.cmd

:: then you can add this if you want to reboot the PCs after it's done.
shutdown -r -m \\computer1 -t 300 -f -c "The computer will restart in 5 minutes.  Please save and close all programs.  Thank you!  Your Daddy"

then you just run the update.cmd file when you wish to run all hotfixes in the directories on the network PCs. The file with prompt you for what time you wish to run the files on the network PCs so you coudl run this and not have files kick off until later.

I spent a lot of time manually typing this out so please let me know what you think. I would check it for errors (if you are familiar with batch scripts). Please let me know if you do not understand something in the script. You can make any necessary changes to the script to install programs that you would like.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...