reg hacks a thing of the past

Hive files are a pain and unless you use a seperate hive file you'll have to recreate the hive file everytime you apply a new service pack. If you're looking at hive files you might want to look at inf files instead, since they're much simplier and easier to test.

-gosh

i seem to be having an issue with variables in my inf files when loaing them with the rest of the hives. setup does not seem to want to replace things like %01% with the directory that it should (it just leaves it as %01%) this is something that i have tested to work in windows, but when these inf files are loaded as hive files from the txtsetup.sif they dont.

anyway, i noticed that even the rollup.inf that GOSH created for slipsreaming the security rollup that is loaded from the txtsetup.sif has references to numerical path name variables. given this fact, is there something i am doing that might case these variables not to be replaced?

thanks for the help!

-Voltaic

My site talks about how to make hive files for text mode setup so i won't answer that question here.

I wish i could help you check inf files but i just do it manually. Once i had a problem with an inf and couldn't figure out the problem with a copyfiles section. I enabled verbose output of setupapi.log and noticed that it was failing trying to copy a directory. I removed the directory and the inf worked fine.

-gosh

• 2 months later...

Hey, easy way to make inf formated registry changes.. Use WillyPad to convert standard regedit exports (reg files) to inf. Been using it for a while but keep forgetting I have it. I have downloaded the thing about 5 times in the last 6 months after researching a way to make inf based reg files easier....

Check it out, freeware, sorta...

WillyPad

• 4 months later...
My thoughts exactly. Numlock shouldn't even by rights exist anymore. I've seen it on laptops, for Christ's sake. They don't even have a separate pad for entering numbers!

Jesus...

Obviously not a numbers person ... Jesus ... What ever happened to tolerance? Different strokes for different folks, and all that. As my Uncle Bill so often said: "What? Do you think everyones like you?"