reg hacks a thing of the past

fancy some custom texts?? ..change some variables :rolleyes: heres some::

HIDGAME_DFTDEVB="play with my 6-button joystick baby"

THATCHES="Dont Like a thatch ..shave it babe.. go for a brazilian"

INTERSITE_MESSAGING_DESCRIPTION="Leave this service on automatic startup.. popup heaven baby"

MODEM="Broadbands far more rhobunscious!!"

PROGRAM_ERROR="Huh??? cockaroach"

pmsl :)

So that will work with the Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard? But the light will stay off... hmm

comes back on when u want the alternatives.. exactly the same functionality but reversed :) dont worry!! it wont damage your hardware!! its a registry hack.. try it then thank me for all the curses ive saved you from :rolleyes:

In the registry, if you still use that, there is both "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" and "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders". One uses %USERPROFILE%, the other does not.

no need :D

managed to move the complete Documents and Settings folder by changing this variable in hivesft.inf

DEFAULT_PROFILES_DIR="D:\Documents and Settings"

tried, tested, works :) phew!!

oh well lol :rolleyes: im guessing this has the same effect as

[GuiUnattended]

ProfilesDir="D:\Documents and Settings\"

pmsl

i havent completely forgotten reg files greenmachine.. some things just cant be done in the hives.. i think :D not sure ..im scraping the sedement at the bottom of the barrel

Whilst you've been fairly clear on what files point to what parts of the registry etc, you haven't been as clear on just exactly what to edit/how to edit.

For example, searching through the relevant hive file for the messenger service yielded no results, and was in fact, quite confusing. For the time being, I'll be sticking to my reg files.

Unless of course, we can just simply append (to the bottom) the appropriate registry entries (in the correct manner) to the appropriate files, and leave it at that.

just use 0x00010001 for REG_DWORD data

0x00010003 =

0x00010001 -- REG_DWORD

OR

0x00000002 -- Prevent a given value from replacing the value of an existing value

in other words it wont replace it if a value exists

for a quick test of your settings try this::

save this as tweaks.inf

[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=HKCU.Settings
AddReg=HKLM.Settings

; FLAG:
;
; 0x00000 - REG_SZ
; 0x00001 - REG_BINARY
; 0x10000 - REG_MULTI_SZ
; 0x20000 - REG_EXPAND_SZ
; 0x10001 - REG_DWORD
; 0x20001 - REG_NONE

[HKCU.Settings]
;
; change MenuShowDelay
;
HKCU,Control Panel\Desktop,MenuShowDelay,0x00000,"125"

[HKLM.Settings]
;
; dont start MS-Messenger with Outlook Express
;
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express,Hide Messenger,0x10001,0x00000002

add some hive settings.. may need some modification to make them work

right-click it, select install, some settings need a reboot before you'll see a difference

to use them in your unattended without modifying your hives

put tweaks.inf in your $OEM$\$1\install folder

add this line as the first command in your [GuiRunOnce] section in winnt.sif

Command0="rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %systemdrive%\install\tweaks.inf"

im itching to hear anyone elses ideas or settings

see this little job i done the weekend

http://board.MSFN.org/index.php?showtopic=...=10entry64461

good luck :)

• 1 month later...

Numinous, I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your thread. Admins, feel free to move this post soemwhere else if need be...

The problem I'm now having on my unattended is that my mian login is not admin. Therefore, when I do a guirunonce as admin, my really freakin huge regtweaks.reg fires off as it's supposd to, ad all is well with the admin user.

Of course, once i login with my normal user account (which is an admin in my AD, not a local account), anything that was set in hkey_current_user is no longer applicable, since administrator is no longer the current user.

Am I totally misreading what you said in your first post? Can I use a hive file to kick my reg tweaks that are in hkey_current_user into the registry as a default template for ALL users that login to the system?

Or have I been drinking too much again?

I'm very close to just slicing the reg file into two files and having one manually run from desktop after the install is done. If I can use hive files to do this, that would rock.

Kris