IE7 and Microsoft Update Not installing

DolphinSafe

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I want to start by saying thank you to TommyP and Tomcat76 for a great tool.

I'm relatively new to HFSLIP, and I'm having two problems (that I know of) with putting together an up-to-date XP Pro SP2 disc. Everything seems to go fine (no errors show up), but after booting (and rebooting) I notice:

• Microsoft Update isn't installed
  • IE7 isn't installed

I've read the basic how-to, and "Important things" and I've followed all appropriate instructions as far as I know. In "Important things" I notice mention of a plain simple interface prior to first reboot. I don't see that. The first time it boots up, it looks completely normal.

I've searched the forums, but didn't find anything that seemed to be quite what I've got going on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are my HFSLIP.LOG (renamed with .TXT appended - can't upload .LOG FILES) and WU1.TXT.

Thanks in advance!

HFSLIP.LOG.TXT

WU1.TXT

Well...

First of all, slipstreaming muweb.cab allows you to access the Microsoft Update site without being asked to download an ActiveX control. But the package is not responsible for the shortcuts to Microsoft Update; those are created by a different mechanism. The shortcuts are automatically created upon first access to the Microsoft Update site.

One thing I keep forgetting to add to the "Important things to know" page is that Windows needs to be activated before IE7 can be installed. This needs to be done during the Post-Install Wizard.

First of all, slipstreaming muweb.cab allows you to access the Microsoft Update site without being asked to download an ActiveX control. But the package is not responsible for the shortcuts to Microsoft Update; those are created by a different mechanism. The shortcuts are automatically created upon first access to the Microsoft Update site.

Thanks for that information. I'll look at this to see what's actually happening.

One thing I keep forgetting to add to the "Important things to know" page is that Windows needs to be activated before IE7 can be installed. This needs to be done during the Post-Install Wizard.

I don't think I quite understand this. Are you saying there is a wizard that was supposed to pop up and allow me to activate Windows prior to first reboot and install of IE7 (followed by themes etc)? Do I need to make special preparations in setting up HFSLIP to enable this? Because when I installed from my slipped cd, I didn't see a trimmed-down UI on first boot. It just popped into full-blown Windows the first time.

Thanks for your help. :)

I don't think I quite understand this. Are you saying there is a wizard that was supposed to pop up and allow me to activate Windows prior to first reboot and install of IE7 (followed by themes etc)? Do I need to make special preparations in setting up HFSLIP to enable this? Because when I installed from my slipped cd, I didn't see a trimmed-down UI on first boot. It just popped into full-blown Windows the first time.

IE7 cannot be installed if Windows is not already activated. In other words, your source either must not need activation or you activate your Windows during the Post-Install Setup Wizard. You get a "trimmed-down UI" because Internet Explorer 7 can only be installed at GUIRunOnce (in mainstream versions of Windows, the system cannot identify itself as "legitimate" before the first logon).

I'm not quite sure how Tomcat76 plans to tackle this problem. IE7 integration/slipstreaming has always been problematic from the beginning, either due to Microsoft's limitations or various caveats/bugs users have reported. So, to answer your questions... Yes, there should be a wizard as soon as GUI setup finishes, usually titled "Welcome to Windows." Unless your source is corrupt or invalid for one reason or another, you shouldn't need to do any special preparation.

Please remember to reboot after IE7 is installed.

IE7 cannot be installed if Windows is not already activated. In other words, your source either must not need activation or you activate your Windows during the Post-Install Setup Wizard. You get a "trimmed-down UI" because Internet Explorer 7 can only be installed at GUIRunOnce (in mainstream versions of Windows, the system cannot identify itself as "legitimate" before the first logon).

This part I understand. Thanks for helping me confirm that I at least have some clue what I'm doing :)

Yes, there should be a wizard as soon as GUI setup finishes, usually titled "Welcome to Windows." Unless your source is corrupt or invalid for one reason or another, you shouldn't need to do any special preparation.
I don't remember seeing anything about activating before the first full gui boot. I'll reinstall and watch things more closely. I don't suppose you'd have a screenshot url you could post that would give me a clue which screen I should be looking for?
Please remember to reboot after IE7 is installed.

If I get far enough that IE7 installs, I'll be sure to do that :P

Thanks again for helping :)

I could be mistaken. It's been a long time.

I'll ask a friend who works in a computer shop; he should know for sure.

Either way, IE7 setup needs to be able to verify if your copy of Windows is legitimate. If it isn't able to (or if it detects a non-genuine Windows), it won't install.

On retail versions of Windows, the post-install wizard should ask you to activate. Just read the questions carefully and don't skip any.

Are you sure it doesn't install? You do get that trimmed-down UI you described, right? There should be a window that pops up showing the progress of the installation (as you would normally see it if installing IE7 manually).

On retail versions of Windows, the post-install wizard should ask you to activate. Just read the questions carefully and don't skip any.

On retail versions? Do you mean OEM versions will be different? I thought licensing was the only difference, but that might explain something, since it's an OEM disk I'm using.

Are you sure it doesn't install?

Yeah, pretty sure. I've installed XP so many times, I'd notice anything new. There aren't any extra progress bars or anything like that.

You do get that trimmed-down UI you described, right?
Yes, the reason I was confused is because I've never, ever seen anything in the trimmed-down ui that was related to activation. I've never seen an activation prompt until I'm in with the full gui.
There should be a window that pops up showing the progress of the installation (as you would normally see it if installing IE7 manually).

There wasn't anything like this.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the help.

There is an addon, currently in beta, over on RyanVM's site that slipstreams IE7 into the install. Maybe if you want to retry slipstreaming Tomcat (I know of the user profile pictures bug, but that was fixed with the latest shell32.dll).

the_guy

hi DolphinSafe! welcome to HFSLIP! try to see if this thread would give you an idea at least: Trouble with slipstream Dell OEM Win XP ... OOBE should be there so that you can activate your Windows upon hitting GUI ... if not, your other option would be to try it via SVCPACK but you have to specify it in HFANSWER.ini

IE7SVCPACK=1
There is an addon, currently in beta, over on RyanVM's site that slipstreams IE7 into the install. Maybe if you want to retry slipstreaming Tomcat (I know of the user profile pictures bug, but that was fixed with the latest shell32.dll).

the_guy

i think this pack: [Release] Internet Explorer 7 English with Updates (v1.0.0) does away with WGA ...