Help!.. I have a 256MB RAM but runs at 233MB peak

roger04

I've got this problem quite long ago.. When my pc is real slow.. it uses about 233MB RAM at peak(Commit Charge) seen in windows task manager.. not 256 or more.. I wonder anyone know how to set the peak ? maybe something gotta do with the registry?? Help!! my pc performance sucks.... Thank you

Roger

I am sure we can help improve the performance. Give us a detailed list of your computer specifications and as Rik suggested your operating system to include a small list of the major software installed.

We have a few guides in our Guides Section that you may find informative as well. Possible related guides of interest to you might be Windows XP Guides and Hardware Guides. Both explain how to tweak your PC performance.

One of the most common attributes to slow PC performance is a badly fragmented hard drive. Another, even if the hard drive is okay, are too many tasks running in the background. This is my favorite site for configuring the Windows XP Pro background services that will improve the performance of just about any PC, BlackViper .

Hope we can help :)

sorry...

Intel P4 2.0 Gig

Kingston 256 MB DDRAM 266 Mhz

Win XP Pro

Geforce 2 MX 400 (not on board, I guess)

MSI Motherboard

I have about 30 app running. I'm gonna uninstall Norton AV and get AVG.. Norton takes too much resources.. What do u think?

Thanks.

I don't believe that NAV alone will be the problem. But as everyone else has said, if you clean out some of those startup apps the system should run lots better.

oh of course not.. but nav certainly love using what amount of ram its got :)

to see exactly what is hogging your memory open up a command prompt and type "tasklist" . This will list each process that is running and how memory it is using.

You should also think about increasing your memory. 256 is way too low to run XP and enjoy your experience. Even more so if you are going to be running 30 apps at a time. Memory is cheap. Double it to 512 and you will notice great improvement.