Data recovery tool is really really needed

bonestonne

ok, so i have this 400GB western digital external drive, and i had all my music on it seperated into two folders...well, i turned it on, and while it was synchronizing with my computer, my computer crashed, and then when i went to go through the music, about 22GB of music is not there at all.

i went through a good number of data recovery tools, only one so far has at least shown me that its possible to retrieve them. the problem is that the program costs $45 and i don't quite have that kind of money [being in highschool]. it is possible to get it back, but i want to know if anyone knows of a program that would help me here. i've checked the free/open source software list thats in this forum, and non of them have helped me.

the program i used that worked for me is Data Doctor Recovery NTFS [the drive was formatted by the previous owner, and i dont quite have the space to back it up locally and change the format.

any help is greatly appriciated, as this is quite stressful, and i have enough to worry about right now [i have a 3 page english paper due monday]

thanks in advance :wacko:

FinalData or R-Studio. FinalData will take take 12-24 hours on a 160GB drive, R-Studio a few hours. They are not freeware but they are the most thorough and effective data recovery software I've come across.

ok, i'm gonna look into it, but if i don't find anything by tuesday night, i'll talk to the person who gave me the music to see if he'd mind replacing it.. i doubt he will, because he said to let him know if i had any problems with it, but i know its recoverable, and i was wondering if i would be able to do it myself.

and this has given me incentive to start saving up for a data recovery tool...

theres one that i found, stellar & phoenix fat/ntfs data recovery...and its pretty solid...its showing me everything, and that i should have 53.6GB of music, it gives me the option to recover all deleted files, but since its a trial, i can't.

It would be nice if you'd listed what you had used that didn't work for you so that people don't recommend things you've already tried. But, even so, I'll take a stab at this. Since you say you're a poor high school student, I'll point you to the freeware Undelete Plus. I've used it a few times, and it does a good job so long as things aren't really messed up. Personally I prefer using R-Studio as it's not failed me once (even when Partition Magic hosed a whole drive, it still found everything), but it costs a decent chunk of change; worth it in my opinion, but when you don't have the money, you don't have it.

Edited by Keris

undelete plus doesn't see anything on my external drive thats recoverable.

so far only the ones that you need to pay for even see the music there.

i'll let you all know if i find something better. tried using the undeleter in system mechanic pro, but for some reason it wont allow me to use that part of the program...i'll have to look into that.

ok. well, as i said before, the ones in the freeware section didn't help me.

well, i did manage to get it back. [as messed up as it is, twice]

my sister bought me Get Data Back for NTFS, and it did the trick...that took me about 4 hours.

ok, so now i have all the music back.

my computer boots, and during boot, CHKDSK effing runs....i finish booting, look in the folder...all the music is there. IN 5 MINUTES. :realmad:

so yes...i'm not sure what had triggered checkdisk...does anyone know how i would manually get it to run instead of it being a lottery game during boot?

thanks for all the help.

I recomend "Recovery My Files V3" I used it all the time to recovery video data from discs that is unreadable and to recover data like the stuff you mentioned. However while I did recover data big 600MB video files was unviewable and some picture/audio data might come out incomplete.

The only problem with this is that I recover a whole slew of partitions and etc folders and have to search for files that did not show up or the program deos not recognize.

Yes you would have to pay but if you search I am sure you could find an altered version.

Another thing that you can do to recover files in 98 is run scandisk on the secondary drive and hopefully the option to recover files and folder would appear. Last year my 60HD i have plugged in forgot all the file names and scan disk recovered the files. XP/2000 will not give you the option to data into files but instead convert everything into chk files but I do not use XP/2000.

ooo, ok, yea, i understand the 98 thing...my sisters computer, she's got this old one that runs 98, and whenever it boots it runs scandisk...can't seem to figure out why, but i suppose eventually if i have a problem again, put the drive in while it runs...theoretically that would work, but only trying it would say for sure, no?

but yes, i am also current working on putting it all in one folder, and now when the drive starts syncing, i avoid having other things running, usually when the drive is plugged in when windows starts, it doesn't have that issue, but i can't guarantee it.

This is what happens when you don't backup :whistle:

While that would solve everyone's problem from the get-go, we simply don't live in a perfect world. *Dreams of all the wonderous possibilities that would exist in such a place*