Windows Update Agent not slipsteaming on 2003 server

hansenjr

Hi, I've been trying to slipstream the windows update agent on my 2003 SP1 server cd and I have not been successful. It looks like it is successful but when I go to window update I have to install the update for windows update first. I have included WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe in the HF directory as well as MUWEB_SITE.CAB in the HFCABS directory. Can someone please shed some light on as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

MUWEB_SITE.cab itself does not force Windows Update to recognize the presence of the MUWEB.DLL file. Instead, you must import another file, which I have attached here. Put this in HFSVCPACK.

If you are also slipstreaming/integrating/installing IE7, you may encounter additional problems with slipstreaming of the Microsoft Update Agent.

@glentium, many people prefer using Microsoft Update rather than Windows Update. The person who started this topic was looking for a way to slipstream the MU DLL.

S-M, my friend, you might have mixed up this topic, which is entitled "Windows Update Agent not slipstreaming on 2003 server" with the one about "Microsoft Update" here: HFSLIP - Test releases :)

btw, I can both go in without hassle to Windows Update and Microsoft Update in XP and 2003 by just putting in the necessary files listed in the dynamic lists by tomcat, which is why I said in my other post: 'don't fix something that is working'... :)

Edited by glentium

Actually, I guess hansenjr only wanted to slipstream the Windows Update Agent. Therefore, I'll issue this correction. :P

@hansenjr, if you just want to slipstream the Windows Update Agent, then simply include WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe in HF. You don't need MUWEB_SITE.CAB, and you can ignore anything I said above. The Microsoft Update Agent (MUWEB_SITE.CAB) is a separate issue.

It's still not working. After I install 2003 and run windows update it is still asking me to install an active x update. Now if I run WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe manually and reboot, I goes right into the express/custom page of windows update. I guess it really isn't slipsteaming.

This file is automatically generated by HFSLIP

HFSLIP is for personal use only

Copyright© TommyP 2005-2007

============================HOW TO REPORT A PROBLEM============================

If running into problems, refer to http://hfslip.org/support.html

HFSLIP support forum: http://msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=129

===============================================================================

HFSLIP Version - 70109

HFSLIP Path - D:\hfslip\

OS in SOURCESS - 2003 SP1 English

Drivers - DRIVER.CAB Updated

CD Install Path - Default

CDTAG - WIN51

WARNING - Previously Patched Source Detected

Files in your FIX folder:

Files in your HF folder:

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

Files in your HFCABS folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW folder:

Files in your HFTOOLS folder:

HFSLIP run time: 12m13s

It could be that an unsupported hotfix is causing the slipstreaming of Windows Update Agent to break but I can't see that because you stripped your log.

When you open WindowsUpdate.log (located in the Windows folder), which files need to be updated according to it?

OK. This shows that WUA isn't slipstreamed at all.

What's the size of WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe?

What's its timestamp? (right-click > Properties > Digital Signatures)

Can you post a copy of the PRODSPEC.INI file you have in SOURCE\I386?

The files are newer and some MUI DLLs were added, but nothing has changed place. I just tested it on 2K3 SVR and it's working fine. Try downloading the file again. Also, check that files such as wuapi.dl_ in your original source aren't newer than October 29, 2006.