Windows Update Agent not slipsteaming on 2003 server

hansenjr

Hi, I've been trying to slipstream the windows update agent on my 2003 SP1 server cd and I have not been successful. It looks like it is successful but when I go to window update I have to install the update for windows update first. I have included WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe in the HF directory as well as MUWEB_SITE.CAB in the HFCABS directory. Can someone please shed some light on as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

MUWEB_SITE.cab itself does not force Windows Update to recognize the presence of the MUWEB.DLL file. Instead, you must import another file, which I have attached here. Put this in HFSVCPACK.

If you are also slipstreaming/integrating/installing IE7, you may encounter additional problems with slipstreaming of the Microsoft Update Agent.

Edited by Super-Magician

Wow, many posts about WU and MU today! :lol:

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe is for Windows Update. You need that for many things, but I'm not sure if Microsoft Update requires it or if the MUWEB_SITE.CAB file covers it all. It's best to include both in case you want to switch back (but it's not much faster either way). It's your decision.

Same problem. After installing 2003 server I click on windows update and it tells me that I need to install an active x control for windows update. I click on install and it just hangs. It never even gets to the express or custom page.

Same problem. After installing 2003 server I click on windows update and it tells me that I need to install an active x control for windows update. I click on install and it just hangs. It never even gets to the express or custom page.

Read this post again and you found the workaround for making "microsoft update" to work

@hansenjr, sorry, but I guess my workaround only works on XP. :( I will try to find out how to make one for 2K3.

@Kiki, yes, it works on XP like I just said (I've been using it for many months).

@glentium, many people prefer using Microsoft Update rather than Windows Update. The person who started this topic was looking for a way to slipstream the MU DLL.

Edited by Super-Magician