Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603)

Tomcat76

First - newbie alert! Thats me. Please be patient.

Second - sorry for my bad english - it isn't my native.

Subject: DNF30 is absent.

Description:

I am SNM user. I am HFSLIP user. I am nLite user. I'm slipstreaming XP Pro SP2 Corp. Own hands integrated SP2. From SNM I'm using DNF11_20 and DNF30. I put that into HFSLIP. DNF30 into HFGUIRUNONCE folder. I integrate all my after SP2 hotfixes with HFSLIP too. I run HFSLIP to have SOURCESS folder. For nLite. In nLite I make exclusions, registry settings and unattended install. I burn the CD (physically) and I'm installing that on other, clear machine. Connected to net. To my local lan.

The system installs without any error messages and works. I'm going to WindowsUpdate. It says me, that I haven't the Net Framework 3.0.

I'm going to my machine. OK lets move DNF30 from HFSLIP to nLite. I'm copying the all HFSLIP folder structure in second place. I move DNF30 out, delete SOURCESS folder, run HFSLIP, copy SOURCESS to nLite and include there the moved out DNF30. Burn, install and go to WindowsUpdate. Now I have the Net Framework 3.0. On my work machine I'm looking to my first HFSLIP SOURCESS folder. There isn't DNF30.EXE. DNF30 is absent.

OK, OK it is. As a command to run, in HFSGUI.CMD (name of the file is near the oryginal - now I am in my work, and I dont' remember correct - there is only one CMD file like).

Question to experienced users HFLIP and SNM: Is the absence normal?

Some other details: HFSLIP 1.6.2, SNM downloaded from that thread (first, main post) 2 days ago (problem - in ZIP I don't see the version number - in CMD, INI and readme), nLite 1.3.5.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if someone can help me out here. I'm using the default SNM.ini file. I downloaded everything to a folder path with no spaces. Below is a Tree report of my folder listing. I have no search indexers running or search engines installed. I have ensured I have nothing else accessing these files, by closing all non-essential processes in Task Manager. I have only a copy of Windows Explorer open, when I click on the SNM.cmd file.

M:\SLIPSTREAM\DOTNET\SMN
| SNM.cmd
| _SNM.ini
| _SNM - Backup.ini
| 7za.exe
| 7zS.sfx
| dotnetfx.exe
| dotnetfx2.exe
| dotnetfx3.exe
| hidcon.exe
| msistub.exe
| msxml6-KB933579.exe
| NDP1.1sp1-KB867460.exe
| NDP1.1sp1-KB886903.exe
| NDP1.1sp1-KB928366.exe
| NDP20-KB928365.exe
| NetFX30-KB932471.exe
| readme.txt
| xpsepsc.exe
|
+---DNF2
| \---DNF20
| \---Win
| \---Microsoft.NET
| \---Framework
| \---URTInstallPath
| \---ASP.NETWebAdminFiles
\---OUT1
DNF11.exe (11,300KB)
DNF20.exe (39,004KB)
DNF30.exe (21,969KB)

As you can see in the attached screen grab, SNM.cmd cannot access one of the files above, apparently for .Net 3.0. When I install the resulting DNF30.exe, Windows Update still reports that I require KB933579. So I'm assuming that is the file that does not get slipstreamed into the installer correctly.

I have tried re-downloading all the files, ensuring each was for Windows XP SP2 (x86). I have run this script several times and each time it chokes on the same file. Am I do something wrong, or is the script in a race condition?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

post-40573-1191541787_thumb.png

Edited by DarkShadows

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

I have 2 KB's giving me a hard time.(KB934238 and KB933579) (Norwegian XP)

Have read through this forum I fond this:

KB934238

Alright. These are clearly updates for .NET 3.0. I will update the SNM script for this when I have the time. It shouldn't be too hard to add support for them.

Iam using the SNM script. an the folder looks like this;

Pic058.jpg

What amI missing?

I confirmed KB934238 and language file were able to be integrated.

Thanks!!

Can you pls. tell me how you did this?

HFSLIP.txt

Edited by Floppy

Question to experienced users HFLIP and SNM: Is the absence normal?
It is normal if you don't put it in nLite's "keep list". You may find this utility useful if you want to use nLite after HFSLIP. It must be run before running nLite, though.
As you can see in the attached screen grab, SNM.cmd cannot access one of the files above, apparently for .Net 3.0.
What I wonder about is the title that's showing in the title bar. Is this a modified version of Silent .NET Maker?

Not that it's important at this stage, but the XPS update named as xpsepsc.exe is not supported. You should keep at least "xpsepsc-x86-en-us" in the name.

I have 2 KB's giving me a hard time.(KB934238 and KB933579)
I see two problems.

1) You are including both msxml6_x86.msi and msxml6-KB933579-enu-x86.exe. Silent .NET Maker only takes one and it uses the MSI because it's faster, but the file named "msxml6_x86.msi" is old so you should remove it. Silent .NET Maker will then use msxml6-KB933579-enu-x86.exe. If you want, you can use msxml6.msi from inside msxml6-KB933579-enu-x86.exe to make things faster but it's not required. This should solve the KB933579 problem.

2) Your KB934238 problem is probably due to the absence of the KB934238 update for the main .NET 3.0 package. You only have the KB934238 update for your language pack.

I have 2 KB's giving me a hard time.(KB934238 and KB933579)
I see two problems.

1) You are including both msxml6_x86.msi and msxml6-KB933579-enu-x86.exe. Silent .NET Maker only takes one and it uses the MSI because it's faster, but the file named "msxml6_x86.msi" is old so you should remove it. Silent .NET Maker will then use msxml6-KB933579-enu-x86.exe. If you want, you can use msxml6.msi from inside msxml6-KB933579-enu-x86.exe to make things faster but it's not required. This should solve the KB933579 problem.

2) Your KB934238 problem is probably due to the absence of the KB934238 update for the main .NET 3.0 package. You only have the KB934238 update for your language pack.

Thank you for your reply!!!

I followed your advice, and it worked perfect.

Excellent work from you as usual!!

As you can see in the attached screen grab, SNM.cmd cannot access one of the files above, apparently for .Net 3.0.
What I wonder about is the title that's showing in the title bar. Is this a modified version of Silent .NET Maker?

Not that it's important at this stage, but the XPS update named as xpsepsc.exe is not supported. You should keep at least "xpsepsc-x86-en-us" in the name.

The Command Prompt title is different because I selected some text for the screen grab—Cmd.exe prepends the word "Select" to the prompt's title, whenever you select some text. Other words get prepended as well for other actions. For example, in Vista you will see "Administrator:" prepended to an elevated Command Prompt.

The files not being accessed as shown in my screen grab seems to happen a lot on my system for some reason (not just with your script); I think it may have to do with RAID array or HDD write caching or something. It seems to happen a lot when deleting a large number of files or a folder full of files.

Renaming xpsepsc.exe to "xpsepsc-x86-en-us" fixed the missing update issue. Your script seems like it is hard coded to execute only "XPSEPSC-x86-en-US.exe". It would be nice if it supported the format: "xpsepsc-KBnnnnnn.exe". That would allow one to eyeball their SNM folder to inventory which knowledge base numbers they are using. You tend to support this convention on most of the files already.

I think I also got my wires crossed and tried to install DNF30.exe by mistake from SVCPack, which of course does not work.

I have gotten everything working fine now, really nice job on your script!

I have a question about the issues installing 1.1 before 3.

If I slipstream into my source DNF11.exe, and DNF20.exe.

And use GUIRUNONCE to install DNF30.exe after the first login, is there any problems?

Something I read in this thread caught my eye, but I'm not sure I understood it completely? Something about additional features?

Thanks, good work btw.

Your script seems like it is hard coded to execute only "XPSEPSC-x86-en-US.exe". It would be nice if it supported the format: "xpsepsc-KBnnnnnn.exe". That would allow one to eyeball their SNM folder to inventory which knowledge base numbers they are using. You tend to support this convention on most of the files already.
Actually, Silent .NET Maker determines the name of the XPSEPSC update inside the .NET 3.0 package and then searches for a file in the main folder of which the name starts with that (and then replaces the original with what it found). The reason SNM takes the complete name of the original executable is so the update for the language pack is not used by mistake.
If I slipstream into my source DNF11.exe, and DNF20.exe.

And use GUIRUNONCE to install DNF30.exe after the first login, is there any problems?

You probably mean that you are installing DNF11.exe and DNF20.exe from SVCPACK.

If you install .NET 1.1, your computer needs to be rebooted before you can install .NET 3.0. To be more precise, the problem is that if you install .NET 1.1 and then .NET 2.0 (either separately or as part of .NET 3.0), then .NET 2.0 won't be "active" yet. And .NET 2.0 needs to be "active" before you can install the extra programs that are inside .NET 3.0. But if you install .NET 2.0 first (or .NET 2.0 as part of .NET 3.0), then .NET 2.0 will be active, allowing a successful install of the other .NET 3.0 components.

If you want to install everything without rebooting, you only have one option: DNF20.exe > DNF30.exe > DNF11.exe

What you propose will work because the final reboot of Windows setup (which occurs after .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 are installed) will make .NET 2.0 active. DNF30.exe can therefore be installed at first logon.

Does that make more sense?

If you want to install everything without rebooting, you only have one option: DNF20.exe > DNF30.exe > DNF11.exe
Q: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the arrangement below the most complete and safe—allowing one To:
  • Install all three .NET Framework packages: 2.0, 3.0, and 1.1 without issue.
  • Install software packages requiring .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed prior without issue.
  • Install everything in as few passes (i.e. PC reboots) as possible, while accomplishing the above.

1. Text-mode Setup

1. Loads Drivers
    2. Copies files required for Setup to the Hard Disk
    3. Copies the contents of your $OEM$ folders to the Hard Disk
    4. Automatic Reboot

5. GUI-mode Setup
      1. Detached Program executes from winnt.sif at T-39 stage
      2. Installs Devices
      3. Installs Network
      4. Installs Start Menu Items
      5. Registers Components
      6. svcpack.inf executes at T-13 minute stage
        • Install all Hotfixes (except DNF-related)
        • Execute Chain.exe
        • Install Apps unrelated to .NET Framework
        • Install DNF20.exe here (or from cmdlines.txt later)

[*] cmdlines.txt executes at T-12 minute stage

• Install DNF20.exe here (or from svcpack.inf earlier)
  • Install Apps unrelated to .NET Framework
  • Add registry settings to Default User Profile
  • Create/rename user accounts

[*] SetupParams executes from winnt.sif at T-9 minute stage

[*] Saves Settings

[*] Deletes temporary files

[*] Automatic Reboot

[*] First Logon

• Windows XP logs in
  • Windows XP loads personal settings for logged in user account (Copied from Default User Profile).
  • GUIRunOnce from winnt.sif and RunOnceEx both execute at the same time.
    • Install any Apps that require DNF20.exe here (e.g. ATI Catalyst Control Center)
    • Install other Apps unrelated to .Net Framework
    • Install any Apps that require DNF20.exe here
    • Install other Apps unrelated to .Net Framework
    • Install DNF30.exe here
    • Install DNF11.exe here

[*] Windows XP Desktop and Task bar load

[*] Manually Reboot the PC — This reboot needs to happen in order for applications that require DNF20 to function properly, since DNF11 installation will "deactivate" DNF20. This is mostly likely a smart thing to do in any case, since many software installations require a reboot in order to function properly.

If this isn't feasible, or ideal, then please suggest some alternatives. I'm want to try to install ATI Catalyst Control Center from RunOnceEx, and it requires DNF20.