Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603)

Tomcat76

Ok, so I'm sure this is a dumb question- but I've been looking all over this forum and keep finding random bits of different things, but no cohesive solution to what I want to do. I'm posting in this thread because I think it comes the closest.

Basically, I just want to integrate the entire .NET 3.5 package into my unattended XP Installation in nlite. I don't care about size or any of that, and I don't really care at what point the package gets installed during the setup process- I just want it to be there in the end.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like I can't simply do it through the Addon gui because there are problems with the 3.0 element. So it sounds like doing it at the RunOnce stage is best. Fine with me. Do I do this in the nlite gui, in the runonce tab of the Unattended section, or is it something where I have to manually edit a file? The biggest hangup I can't seem to get past is how to integrate the actual install files into the ISO image. I know it wouldn't be a problem in the Add-On stage, as I've succesfully created the silent installed from this guide. But if I'm just running a command from RunOnce, how do I actually get the files onto the disc so they can be copied/executed at the RunOnce phase?

Of course maybe I'm totally missing something. But then I'm having a hard time finding a thorough guide for Nlite.

Please direct me to the appropriate place to find answers.

Thanks

what programs are you guys using to make this installer run during the installation and where are you putting the exe file to make it work..

also

what does

3. Decompress the file filever.exe from Support Tools packet of the Windows 2000/XP/2003 operating system CDROM (in XP CD under X:\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SUPPORT.CAB), in your work folder. You can find it too here

that mean what is the work folder?

@atolica

You should reread carefully post #1 to fully understand it. Look for Instructions paragraph, IS THERE. Specially pay attention to what Tomcat says the installation procedures. And if you are going to use steps proposed in post #266 take account that the proposed .NET 3.5 SP1 includes .NET 2.0 SP2 and .NET 3.0 SP2 updated version, and you can make separate installers for them.

XPSEPSC-x86-en-US.exe is included in .NET 3.0 SP2

@anthonyaudi

I use the methods described in post #1, some programs can help you guiding with some of them but I prefer to do it as explained in this unattended guide. There you'll find all methods quoted by Tomcat in the first post, look deep in the menus. Theres is also translated versions of this guide.

filever.exe is used by the SNM synthesized scritp to be aware of .NET 3.5 SPX version. The work folder is the folder where you extract SNM.zip (from post #1), and where you download what post #266 proposes to build the installers.

@canjecricketer

The installers resulting this method are not for integrating with nlite in addons section. If you want to integrate this way follow link in post #242. If you prefer the method of this thread read what I wrote to anthonyaudi above about methods described in post #1.

Ok, thanks Strel. After looking at all this different stuff, I think for now my easiest solution is to give up completely on integrating .NET into my nlite cd and just go a different route like installing from a login script, or something, etc. I was trying to save some time with this, by not having to go to each machine and install, but I'm spending too much time figuring out how to save time... and that's just a conundrum.

... Also I don't see any entries for .NET 1.1 SP1, is this correct?...

Yes. .NET 1.1 SP1 doesn't show up as SP1 in the add/remove list after installing. And 1.1 SP1 files are correctly processed by the script

... Version 3 of your script is working quite well now, just one point is missing: the language pack for .NET 3.5 SP1 is not listed as installed software afterwards (but for .NET 3.0 SP2): ...

This is something Tomcat left unfinished since post #198. The forthcoming substitutions goes on the original Tomcat script, and solves the problem for both versions 3.5 and 3.5 SP1 of the language pack. I substituted:

REM			IF "%PROCESS_DNF35_LNG%"=="YES" SET PROCESS_DNF35_LNGEXE=YES

with:

IF "%PROCESS_DNF35_LNG%"=="YES" SET PROCESS_DNF35_LNGEXE=YES

lines:

REM				IF EXIST "!DNF35DIR!DNF35" IF "%PROCESS_DNF35_LNG%"=="YES" (
REM MD "!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG"
REM START/WAIT MSIEXEC /a "!TMPDIR!\LNGEXT\vs_setup.msi" NOVSUI=1 /qb TARGETDIR="!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG"
REM ECHO>>INSTALL35.CMD START/WAIT MSISTUB DNF35\LNG\vs_setup.msi ADDEPLOY=1 /passive /norestart
REM )

with:

IF EXIST "!DNF35DIR!DNF35" IF "%PROCESS_DNF35_LNG%"=="YES" (
MD "!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG"
COPY /Y "!TMPDIR!\LNGEXT\NETFX20LP\*.*" "!TMPDIR!\LNGEXT\" >NUL
COPY /Y "!TMPDIR!\LNGEXT\NETFX30LP\*.*" "!TMPDIR!\LNGEXT\" >NUL
START/WAIT MSIEXEC /a "!TMPDIR!\LNGEXT\vs_setup.msi" NOVSUI=1 /qb TARGETDIR="!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG"
RD /S /Q "!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG\NETFX20LP"
RD /S /Q "!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG\NETFX30LP"
DEL /F /Q "!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG\NETFX2.0*.msu"
DEL /F /Q "!DNF35DIR!DNF35\LNG\NETFX3.0*.msu"
ECHO>>INSTALL35.CMD START/WAIT DNF35\LNG\vs_setup.msi ADDEPLOY=1 /passive /norestart
)

:thumbup

Feedback appreciated.

Edited by strel

EDIT: This solution has been superseded by Silent .NET Maker synthesized.

I made a SILENT .NET MAKER SYNTHESIZED script that FULLY WORKS WITH ALL LATEST .NET FRAMEWORKS, LANGUAGE PACKS AND UPDATES FOR WINDOWS 2000/XP/2003 X86 up to date, EXCEPT NDP20SP1-KB947748-x86.exe FOR WIN2K, adding the changes proposed in posts #222, #229, #234, #265 and #278 of this thread, to Tomcat' script in post #1. This is, the synthesized version, in addition to what is declared in post #1 supports:

• .NET framework 3.5 SP1 which includes .NET frameworks 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2.

and adds:

• Full .NET framework 3.5 SP1 language pack including .NET frameworks 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 langpacks support.
  • NDP1.1sp1-KB947742-X86.exe for win2K support.
  • Building of real silent installers, no unzzipping nor installing progress boxes, or optionally, verbose installers, with the loud flavour.
  • Packet incompatibility error generation.
  • SP# version info to building process messages.
  • SP# version and language pack info to installers file names, including merged installers.

Edited by strel

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get this.

I used the updated SNM_mod5 to make the installers I wanted.

They are made from "dotnetfx35.exe" (SP1 version (231Mb)) and "dotnetfx35langpack_x86da.exe"

I just installed the resulting 2.0 & 3.0 versions at first.

See the result here

post-107387-1227512495_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it installs .Net istself without any problems...

But what happened to my language files???

They are only for SP1???

I DID use the language pack noted in post #279.

Any ideas?

Edited by SnowmanDK

... But what happened to my language files???

They are only for SP1???

I DID use the language pack noted in post #279.

Any ideas?

I've tried to recreate your results with danish langpacks but I got .NET 2.0 SP2 and .NET 3.0 SP2 danish langpacks installed correctly (on an installed XP). You are doing something different than I do. I think you could have used .NET 3.5 SP0 langpack instead of .NET 3.5 SP1 langpack, both have the same filename. Edited by strel