test linux to see if I like it?

leoliver

Hi Everyone,

I have never used Linux but I'm curious about it. Someone told me that there is a test drive version of Linux that can be ran from a disc in a cd/dvd drive, without installing Linux on my hard drive. Does anyone have any info about this?

Feed back will be appreciated.

If I were you, I'd go to http://ubuntu.com/ and download and burn that ISO. It is the most used distro right now by most estimates (although Fedora and OpenSuse are close and at times have beaten it recently). It is a normal distro that you install, but the install CD boots into a LiveCD and you can run it without installing.

If you don't like the look and feel of it, then try Kubuntu (http://kubuntu.com ) instead. It is the same base system with an entirely different desktop enviroment, KDE. KDE is a bit more Windows- (and, in terms of eye-candy, OS X-) like and perfect if you like eye candy (although you can't really use all that eye candy off of the CD; to get the full KDE experience, you need to install it).

DSL is a very versatile 50MB mini desktop oriented Linux distribution.

**** Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:

* Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)

* Boot from a USB pen drive

* Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)

* Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"

* Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install

* Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram

* Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)

* Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

If you just want to give it a quick spin. It will let you see the similarities or differences between MS and linux. Plus it's nice to have on hand.

Link

DL

Edited by DL