Win2000Pro as a personal PC?

radman53

it has more featers than the home edition

Huh? There is no Windows 2000 Home Edition. That's only for XP. :)

Windows 2000 wasn't very good for home use when it was first released, but after the last few service packs it is just as well supported as XP is. There are official drivers for all 3D cards and other hardware, and games work perfectly fine with it. Many new games even state they are win2k compatible right on the box. There is no need to tweak it for home use (the way you must do with server 2003). It does cost quite a bit more than XP Home Edition, and it's not quite as up to date and is certainly not as nice looking as XP, but there's no reason you can't use it as your home desktop OS.

I think that darph is trying to say is that 2000 Pro is better than XP Home. I'd have to agree too - since XP home doesn't have NTFS/domain support, and 2000 is more speeder on older boxes when compared to XP IMO.

Agreed!

I recommend updating to service pack 4, which is the latest. A lot of stuff needs at least sp3 installed, not to mention all the bug fixes. You only need to download sp4 though, it includes all the previous service packs. Good luck with it.

2 Versions of Windows 2000 (Win2k)

Windows 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Professional

Windows 2k-Pro is what you want for your desktop.

4 Versions of Windows 2000

Windows 2000 Professional

Windows 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

@skyfrog

no problem :) its allright

i think you should update your sp so that your windows is uptodate and all bugs are fixed

so you can use a stabile system with good performance

Win2k include 5 products

Win2k Home

Win2k Server Home

Win2k Pro Home

Win2k Advance Server Home

Win2k Datacenter Server Home

look

There are also a number of themes around the internet that make W2K look like XP if you want a more stylish appearance. Some of the better sites are located on our front page "Customize Windows".

Customize.org

Design Technika²

DeskMod

DeviantART

GetSkinned

Osiris Media

PCdesktops

Pixel Perfect

Pixtudio

Skinbase

Studio28

ThemeXP

VelocityArt

WinCustomize

Win2k include 5 products

Ok, after visiting that link I think I see where the confusion is coming from. The title is "Windows 2000 Home Page". This means it is the "home page" of Windows 2000, not a page for "Windows 2000 Home". That does not exist. Cal2002 listed the correct four versions. :)