On Board Storage feel the joy of RAM. Can you run a OS or download dir

Just skip the introduction if you want to*

Alot of people here and eleswhere obviously download 24/7 and besides backing and making room for storage we want to get the best out of storage while not having to worry about HD damage and

I myself I have been thinking about converting a computer to entirely RAM storage using 98 or mabye even NT/2000 or Linux.

*What I want to do is not create a download server via CD-ROM but to be able to push those big 50Gigs download without worrying about storage space. My problem is that the computer I want to use is limited to 8GIGs of storage but instead of messing with the Bios I want install a RAM drive so if you can help me reach my goal if not yours please pont me to RAM storage device.

I believe there is built in RAM PCI or even ISA and AGP readers with the storage I require that will allow me to use the Drive without worring about Bios limitations. One such product is the I-RAM which is limited to 4Gigs as with the USB Drive.

I-RAM

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/gigab...m/index.x?pg=12

I also want to know about using Tape for storage. Somebody told me you can store alot more then with the Hard Drive just keep it safe. Also I was thinking of using a Tape drive that use regular recordering tape like with the VHS,CamCorder, or Beta.

Besides I-RAM or tape I want to look into on board storage. My goal is to get at least 60Gigs for now. In the future I will might be using 200GIGs if I still care for downloading.

Your post seems a bit messy to me...

Why don’t you simply use a SATA 320GB hard drive with a PCI SATA card (if your motherboard doesn’t have it already)?

Tape isn’t an option, that’s only for backups. Samsung will release soon 32GB Solid State discs; production has already started this week.

I want to aviod installing a HD period. I am tired of living in the Flinstone age with a wheel that becomes loud and then nothing. I just want to have a stable storage system to download without stopping the printing press to reload.

With the HD I have to give it a break even under the coolest conditions. By the time I am done using any HD I can boil a egg on the top of it or fry bacon. RAM gets hot also but is way smaller and easier to cool down. the power cable and the IDE cables literially slip out after a couple of days of downloading.

On the topic of Tape. It is cleaner and cheaper and all I want is to download not watch the entire ESPN line up. I have another PC for that. I could setup 98 or Linux and just start the program and empty out on a regualy basis.

I want to aviod installing a HD period. I am tired of living in the Flinstone age with a wheel that becomes loud and then nothing. I just want to have a stable storage system to download without stopping the printing press to reload.

With the HD I have to give it a break even under the coolest conditions. By the time I am done using any HD I can boil a egg on the top of it or fry bacon. RAM gets hot also but is way smaller and easier to cool down. the power cable and the IDE cables literially slip out after a couple of days of downloading.

On the topic of Tape. It is cleaner and cheaper and all I want is to download not watch the entire ESPN line up. I have another PC for that. I could setup 98 or Linux and just start the program and empty out on a regualy basis.

What kind of hard drive do you have? If your computer is running that hot, then you're not cooling it properly. Hard drives are the standard of storage for everyone nowadays, and there are many quiet and cool computers that use hard drives.

If you want something other than disk to store data on, have a look at CF cards. They're not the best, but they don't generate much heat (if any at all), and there are CF to IDE adaptors that you can use to connect them to your system.

Tape is a horrible idea for a system drive. It doesn't have any sort of random access, unlike disk or flash memory, and was designed for large scale backups.

- HD wear/tear isn't a problem nowadays. With large amounts of RAM that we have these days, windows dedicates a good amount for the disk cache to reduce the number of IO R/W cycles, meaning which the more RAM you got, the less wear and tear on your drive. Besides, almost evey internet program has an option where you can specify how much RAM cache to use. Just buy more main memory and allocate more cache in your programs. In Windows, you can explicitly increase the disk cache by heading over to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]. Create a dword called IoPageLockLimit and set it to any value (in powers of 2) of your choice. Sample values are 00001000 (4096 KB), 00002000 (8192 KB), etc. For systems above 512 MB, a value of 00020000 (131072 KB) or above is recommended.

- As for drives overheating, why don't you try some HDD Coolers? They're pretty cheap and they work well. I live in a hot area and all I did was hang an 80mm fan in front of my RAID array and it does the job too.

- If your problem is that the comp cannot boot on drives having 8+ Gigs, make a larger drive your primary slave, and do *not* set it in the BIOS. In the BIOS, set your primary slave to none or not installed (don't set it on auto either). The beauty of this is that XP will be able to automatically detect and use the drive, as XP doesn't depend on the BIOS settings to detect drives. However it'd be better if you got an seperate drive controller PCI card.

Ludwig,

if I may, as a general advice, you could take advantage of approaching problems with a more pragmatic view, rather than start from self-assumed apodictical axioms.

You must have a serious problem with your current HD or PC case cooling.

Tape storage has been, in my experience, the single worse method to archive data I have ever found, maybe I have just been unlucky, but having been around some 20 years it could interest you that only in rare occasions I was able to retrieve without effort or problems data stored on tape after two or three years.

Besides it is sequential and thus inherently VERY slow if you need to access some data instead of an entire set.

There are RAMDISK solutions, if cost is not a problem, but read this rather old article:

http://www.dansdata.com/gz020.htm

and the latest runner:

http://www.tfot.info/content/view/100/59/

Here is a basic start for SSD (Solid State Drive) related things:

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd.html

jaclaz