hello and help

dtoxic

we must follow M$
No, only if you're one of Gate's slaves.

You're using Windows, right? :P

"I must rebel against M$ by not using a Service Pack, I am to be dubbed Sir! Geez, if I had a dime for every one of those..."

I installed Windows SP1a on my mother-in-law's PC and the Blaster worm hit me before I had a chance to open IE. Just slipstream the service pack and be done with it.

Not only that, but most (if not all) updates for XP now require SP2, making non-SP2 machines more vulnerable as time goes on. Is there a reason you can't install SP2? An application that just will not run on SP2, perhaps, or perhaps you have a blacklisted key? Otherwise, I can't think of a reason not to install SP2 on an XP machine...

ok here is the deal why cant (won) i install SP2

first i had bad expiriance with it second i work with 3d graphic programs and cant aford to lose all my work (i'am in the midle of it) and most of the "plugins" from my graphic programs wont work under SP2 and to add more stess my company rules are "DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING WITHOUT ASKING THE ADMINISTRATOR FIRST" soo.....i asked for a SP2 upgrade they said NO.....so i'am looking for a way to install Photoshop CS Beta wiithout SP2

i know sp2 is better probably but not for me or the company i'am working at

thx all for the support :)

Well, that would be the first reason not to upgrade from my list :) - I figured it was something like that, but I have to check. If it just does a registry check, you can modify the following registry values and see what happens (I'd change it back after install though - wouldn't want to actually break anything):

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Value: CSDVersion

Type: REG_SZ

Value: Service Pack 2

Value: BuildLab

Value: 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

(you could pick any SP2 build number and put it here, I just picked a random one from one of my SP2 machines)

I believe it should work without a reboot, but as always, having a backup before monkeying with the registry is a very good idea (especially here!!!)

So, you want to follow the rules by not installing SP2 as they asked, but you are willing to mess with the registry and install a beta product?? Something doesn't add up here. Did you ask them if it was ok to install a beta and they said ...yes? I'd say leave your work machine alone and tell them the machine's at risk and they should update to SP2 because the OS is no longer supported at SP1. There's a reason for that.

Then I would put that beta, not on my work machine, but on a laptop which I could bring into work. there you'd have complete control fo the environment and wouldn't have to fudge with your IT department (who are going to find out about the beta installation eventually!). I know SP2 had some issues with some applications, but those have mostly been resolved. I'd check with the applications and see if they have updates to the plugins which didn't work before and see if those conflicts haven't been resolved.

It seems to me you are worried about your current data, but are willing to risk it installing a beta. I wouldn't do that. Use a different machine, either yours at home or a laptop.

Well, that would be the first reason not to upgrade from my list :) - I figured it was something like that, but I have to check. If it just does a registry check, you can modify the following registry values and see what happens (I'd change it back after install though - wouldn't want to actually break anything):

Value: CSDVersion

Value: Service Pack 2

Value: BuildLab

Value: 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

(you could pick any SP2 build number and put it here, I just picked a random one from one of my SP2 machines)

I believe it should work without a reboot, but as always, having a backup before monkeying with the registry is a very good idea (especially here!!!)

Thx ill try it firs on my virtual pc :)