Whats Missing from Win98SE

Hello forum i'm trying to get a list of unsupported features

that Win98/SE/ME don't have without a 3rd party app.

1.Ntfs

2.Long file Names/LFN

3.USB 2.0- drivers supported but only for specific motherboards therefore it doesn't have all around support

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

There are lots of functions that are missing thats not included

i only listed the ones i could think of

I thought windows 98 had a problem with LFNs i could be wrong though.

I don't want links to fixes i want a list of broken functions that not included in Win98/SE/ME

such as the one i listed above.like Ntfs for example is not supported in Win9X without a 3rd party tool

thats not what i'm looking for.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Pre-Emptive Multi-Tasking support

Security Access Managers (NT/2000/2003)

That's basically all we need to build into Win98SE... Lots and lots of work to do anything like that, but if accomplished, we'd be closer to a Dos-based NT than anything else. :thumbup

- Better GDI resources (e.g., 32- rather than 16-bit - I think; there's an interesting thread somewhere here on the forum that explains the issue).

- The ability to support the Cairo graphics library (a GDI replacement, used by Firefox 3 that, amongst other things, provides far better font-rendering in web pages).

- Cleartype, or some such advanced font-rendering technology.

- IE7 - it will never happen, I know this (I much prefer Firefox and Opera, but IE7 on Windows 9x would be handy to me).

- Better Unicode support (seconding noguru's suggestion above).

- Better security regarding file permissions (seconding jimmsta's suggestion above), although I can't see this happening at all.

Edited by bristols

I thought Win9x already supported this as long as it was a proper win32 application.
Better security regarding file permissions

No, please don't insert that s*** into Win9x! It only leads to headaches and more complexity.

One thing I can think of is (instead of administrtorship) having a "reboot in administrative mode" and "reboot in user mode" options.

"User Mode" Totaly forbidding adding or modifying files in (part of) system and program folders and writing in (part of) the registery until you restart in "administrative mode".

---

2.Long file Names/LFN ? I don't understand, I have no problem with LFN? Do you?

Maybe Unicode file name...

I thought Win9x already supported this as long as it was a proper win32 application.

No, please don't insert that s*** into Win9x! It only leads to headaches and more complexity.

I hear you, BenoitRen, and I kind of agree. Moreoever, I guess, it would be to make 9x something that it's just not.

Retreating back from that (sort of), some better password protection at boot time would be good (although again, I'm really not sure how this could be achieved, since such measures are always easily bypassed through DOS). Windows 9x remains totally insecure at the (physical) point of access. I don't think I'd ever run 9x on a laptop, for example.

Edited by bristols

I hear you, BenoitRen, and I kind of agree. Moreoever, I guess, it would be to make 9x something that it's just not.

Retreating back from that (sort of), some better password protection at boot time would be good (although again, I'm really not sure how this could be achieved, since such measures are always easily bypassed through DOS). Windows 9x remains totally insecure at the (physical) point of access. I don't think I'd ever run 9x on a laptop, for example.

Dos can also be your friend in securing Win9x, a multiitude of apps exist to encrypt your system files before your system can start (just type your password at system start,takes a couple of seconds),installing the os to a non standard folder prevents safe mode attacks. Using the freeware pgp disk prevents anybody accessing your program folders/important files. Putting untrusted user accounts into ram or onto a bootable cd prevents them infecting theirs or your own system.

Using the above with even a basic 128bit encryption would be far harder to break into, than to rename/bruteforce sids on xp, even on a laptop

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of programs and boot managers that offer good protection before windows starts. Some boot managers move partition table from it's normal location. Without the password you see no partitions on that disk. A smart person (one that knows what a partition table is) may be able to find the partitions and rewrite the partition table, but such knoledge is rare today.

BTW, did you know that ATA disks have a hardware security feature? Take a look at this: http://www.fitzenreiter.de/ata/ata_eng.htm You can insert a small program into your MB BIOS and it will ask for password *before* POST is complete! No password - no HDD access.