One drive with 2 partition?

Rudi1

In my work i have one old computer with one hard drive and 2 partition.I like to erase one partition and extend the first one,so it be only one,but I try to made this with partition magic and not go.

I can delete second partition,but I can't extend the first one.

Can you help me with this,how I can do it right?

Have you got an error message ?

I have do this method several time at work with PM8 without any problems.

To extend system partition, you will need to reboot system because Partition Magic will do the work during the same stage as chkdsk.

if partition magic won't do it, you could use Ghost but you will need a second hard drive temporarily or a cd burner that ghost will recognize.

So you would ghost you existing drive with only the one partition to the second hard drive as a disk to disk image but don't change the partition size yet. Then ghost it back to the first size and resize the partition to the size of the original drive.

If doing it to a CD then you capture the drive to an image, use full compression (switch -z9) then restore the image to the drive and expand the partition.

I got an message that no one partition can be extended,but second one is deleted and I know that I can extend the first one,maybae is something wrong with PM :blushing: I will reinstall it and try again.

if partition magic won't do it, you could use Ghost but you will need a second hard drive temporarily or a cd burner that ghost will recognize.

So you would ghost you existing drive with only the one partition to the second hard drive as a disk to disk image but don't change the partition size yet. Then ghost it back to the first size and resize the partition to the size of the original drive.

If doing it to a CD then you capture the drive to an image, use full compression (switch -z9) then restore the image to the drive and expand the partition.

Really,how I can forgot Ghost,Thank you Iceman for your suggestion!I will try tomorow PM again and if it fail I will use Ghost to do that.

thx,both of you for help!

If you are not trying to save any data off the first partition, then all you have to do is delete both partitions and then create a new one with all available space.

If you are trying to save data, then copy the data to some media and then do as above.

DL

if ghosting fails, hope this might help.

1. try a PM8 for dos and boot from a dvd-rom with pm8 for dos. the reason for this is that:

operating system is UNABLE to check HDD geometry if the OS is bootable and running. I mean, if the os could obtain its boot code from the mbr, then it goes without checking HDD geometry. even if it could not, it will noly show you simple, uninformative errors.

Run pm8 for dos to check whether the boundaries of your two partitions are overlapped or whether the boundaries of each partitions goes wrong.

If I remember correctly, the error code for partition boundary problems is 114.

Once this happens, you could not extend any of your partition.

If the boundary check returns no error, then go on.

2. Now, check your file system on your HDD, you can't use PQ8 to merge or extend any partition marked with a NON-WIN32 file system, eg, ext3/ext2, swap, as far as my experience could tell.

Check this out.

3. your scheme "Delete the second+ extend the first " should probably be carried out thus: delete the second, this will result in an unallocated disk space, better reboot.

then run PM8 in dos or xp again, create this unallocated one into a new partition whose file system is the same as the first one, then check whether you have a total unoccupied space enough for your data to hold, this total unoccupied space should be caculated on the whole disk, now merge the new one into the existing one.

reboot.

make sure you are DELETING (in partition size) A SAMLLER PARTITION AND EXTENDING A LARGER PARTITION TO OVERLAP THE SMALLER ONE, or, you are MERGING A SMALLER PARTITION INTO A BIGGER ONE. else, you operation may fall into error.

4. if all fails. you should remember each partition size in its CHS value, then set manually your partition geometry parameters. in such operations, DON'T CHANGE ANY BOOT RECORD ON ANY OF YOUR PARTITION, RISKING SUCH CHANGES WILL RESULT IN An UNBOOTABLE OS IF THE MAIN MBR IS CHANGED AND FILE ALLOCATION TABLE LOSS ON PARTITIONS. step 4 is the last resort and should be carried out with expertise.

if further assistance is need, please let us know. we'll try to help

Edited by chee

Thank you chee for this great explain!I try your suggestion and work without any errors!When I run PM8 in dos mode I can made the changes successfull,but without your help this not be so easy! :hello: ž

take care!