HD or ram

Use 2 hard drives

One hard drive for capture and editing. The other drive should be used for rendering after your editing is done.

This is the most efficient way for video editing. Using raid 0 is not better.

The rendering part takes forever with one drive.

On my box I am going to order a new pata 300 gb HD and use my 120 in an external enclosure I got.

Should be plenty of storage.

When my box wears out I will just build a newer faster box. When I build one I usuall dont get the latest technology, I get the one 1 or 2 teirs below. Cost effective and a very good boost in performance over what I got.

Don't get a recertified drive. Buy a new one.
Yeah, worst thing you could buy for in your computer. They sell them like new in Mexico, always I have to send them back to get me a new one... d*mn bastards...
Don’t look more, you got it ;).

If you're going to go with an inexpensive case, make sure you swap out any power supply that comes with it. Get yourself a reliable Antec power supply (or another reliable brand).

A case is just metal. So it really doesn't matter what you get, it's a question of taste as long as you make sure that if you don't get a case that comes standard with a reliable power supply, you change it for one of a reliable manufacturer.