school network

mad_dog369

Listen, the easiest way is to use a web-based proxy such as http://anonymizer.nntime.com/.

Chances are your school's blocking it... In that case, you're going to want to setup a CGI Proxy of your own: http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/

Do some research on how to setup a web server on your home computer before going about doing this.

If that doesn't work, try Portable Firefox again. Chances are your school forces IE to go through their proxy. If you use any portable browser, you should get unfiltered access to the Internet.

If all of that fails, do what I said above:

- Visit the admins/socialize with them every once and a while.

- Suggest stuff they can do to improve their network.

- Work for them during the summer.

I've done all three, and whenever I need something done, they'll do it for me; no questions asked. :) For example, I need a few ports opened so I can use Hamachi on the wireless network. They know I'll be using it to get around their proxy, but they really don't care. I have another valid reason to be using it! :lol: I've also asked them to remove a few restrictions from their proxy for me. No problem. :)

Listen, the easiest way is to use a web-based proxy such as http://anonymizer.nntime.com/.

Chances are your school's blocking it... In that case, you're going to want to setup a CGI Proxy of your own: http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/

Do some research on how to setup a web server on your home computer before going about doing this.

If that doesn't work, try Portable Firefox again. Chances are your school forces IE to go through their proxy. If you use any portable browser, you should get unfiltered access to the Internet.

If all of that fails, do what I said above:

- Visit the admins/socialize with them every once and a while.

- Suggest stuff they can do to improve their network.

- Work for them during the summer.

I've done all three, and whenever I need something done, they'll do it for me; no questions asked. :) For example, I need a few ports opened so I can use Hamachi on the wireless network. They know I'll be using it to get around their proxy, but they really don't care. I have another valid reason to be using it! :lol: I've also asked them to remove a few restrictions from their proxy for me. No problem. :)

90% of web based proxies are blocked now. This user has to do some googling to get a positive result.

Every one at school has there own name that is on the main server, when my friend is logged into his name firefox portable works but when i'm logged into my username firefox just can't connect, why?

ps. my friend is in yr 11 and i am in yr 9, would this have anything to do with it?

Every one at school has there own name that is on the main server, when my friend is logged into his name firefox portable works but when i'm logged into my username firefox just can't connect, why?

ps. my friend is in yr 11 and i am in yr 9, would this have anything to do with it?

so active directory is running (each username stored on a central server). They probably have multiple groups of users. Some user groups are allowed more freedom than others. My guess is you're in a pretty restrictive user group. You might be out of luck short of convincing your admins to move you to a better group. Those restrictions are in place for a reason, and the security is usually more work to bypass than it's probably worth, otherwise, it wouldn't be very secure, would it?

You could always hack the server and give yourself access. All you need to know is the integral system that is Active Directory, and Windows Server. Good luck! :D

And if found out have your accoutn locked, suspended from college, total access restictions...many different concequences of trying to be clever.

Possible the net admins know you're attempting to bypass their security. Therefore restricting your account.

You could always hack the server and give yourself access. All you need to know is the integral system that is Active Directory, and Windows Server. Good luck! :D

And if found out have your accoutn locked, suspended from college, total access restictions...many different concequences of trying to be clever.

not something i would recommend. i did that and am lucky not to have a criminal record

Well that's just cause you don't know how to cover your tracks. :D

But I was being sarcastic though. :lol:

Edited by CptMurphy

Well that's just cause you don't know how to cover your tracks. :D

If the school admins are clever enough and know how to setup the network (CORRECTLY); Regardless of what you do your attempts to access (bypass) the network are logged. Not too hard to setup SNMP on the routers and monitor traffic per segment, IP, User.

Don't be too sure of yourself. ;)

Edited by epic

The fastest way to an admin's heart is to do some of his or her repetitive or dirty work for them..

Actually, one other good way is to try and be clever, but ignorant at the same time. This one trick sinched it for me.

When I was in HS I was working at the library as a class. It was a light day, as it was everyday, so I decided to look up some pranking on PCs. I've already learned the basics, so when I came across the net send command, I was excited at what I could do with it in a LAN enviroment. Well, being typical, I got on a PC and entered net send * THE LIBRARY MAN IS WATCHING YOU. I put that because our librarian had a program to spy on the PC's at the library, and remotely control them. I sent it out, and to my surprise, it went out to EVERY SINGLE PC in the network, with the exception of the main office's PC's because they where on a different network. The router stopped the flood, just not within that LAN. It was awesome, I fessed up, and the admin just laughed. It was there that the relationship opened up, he lessened my restrictions.

Edited by CptMurphy

The fastest way to an admin's heart is to do some of his or her repetitive or dirty work for them..

Actually, one other good way is to try and be clever, but ignorant at the same time. This one trick sinched it for me.

When I was in HS I was working at the library as a class. It was a light day, as it was everyday, so I decided to look up some pranking on PCs. I've already learned the basics, so when I came across the net send command, I was excited at what I could do with it in a LAN enviroment. Well, being typical, I got on a PC and entered net send * THE LIBRARY MAN IS WATCHING YOU. I put that because out librarian had a program to spy on the PC's at the library, and remotely control them. I sent it out, and to my surprise, it went out to EVERY SINGLE PC in the network, with the exception of the main office's PC's because they where on a different network. The router stopped the flood, just not within that LAN. It was awesome, I fessed up, and the admin just laughed. It was there that the relationship opened up, he lessened my restrictions.

:lol: I did this too!!! Except the message was, "tell me if you get this message!!" I got spoken to the day after! :lol:

After that, they disabled net send...

Ah, the good old days...

yeah the good old days of net send, the admin still hasent dissabled it yet...

any way i found out that each grade have different groups...

yr 8: s*** all access the anything on the network. or internet

yr 9 : have little access to the network. or internet

yr 10: have an extra 50 mbs of storage plus less sites are blocked.

yr 11: have acees to almost all network files except admin and teacher files.

yr 12: they have the closest thing to a normal user account

so if there was anyway to change my account type through the main server, please tell me.

yeah the good old days of net send, the admin still hasent dissabled it yet...

any way i found out that each grade have different groups...

yr 8: s*** all access the anything on the network. or internet

yr 9 : have little access to the network. or internet

yr 10: have an extra 50 mbs of storage plus less sites are blocked.

yr 11: have acees to almost all network files except admin and teacher files.

yr 12: they have the closest thing to a normal user account

so if there was anyway to change my account type through the main server, please tell me.

Well, legally I'm not allowed to have any connection with that stuff anymore :angry: . Sorry.