$OEM$ Process

Hi All,

I have been trying to use the $OEM$ structure that has been commonly used with Windows XP etc with Windows Vista. I have checked the documentation and beleive that i have the correct configuration options enabled (see my autounattend.xml below) however when i complete the installation and check it the files i have put in the $OEM$ structure are not copied to the HDD installation. If you put this structure on a floppy or USB drive it seems to work, however the files are copied to %systemroot%\windows\configsetroot

I would appreciate it if anyone can offer suggestions on how i can get this to work from the DVD. (Yes i know i can mount the install.wim and inject the files directly, however i would like to use the $OEM$ structure. (I am using the RTM release and WAIK RTM)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>0C09:00000C09</InputLocale>
<UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
<SystemLocale>en-AU</SystemLocale>
<UserLocale>en-AU</UserLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<UseConfigurationSet>true</UseConfigurationSet>
<DiskConfiguration>
<Disk>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
<CreatePartitions>
<CreatePartition>
<Order>1</Order>
<Size>8000</Size>
<Type>Primary</Type>
</CreatePartition>
<CreatePartition>
<Extend>true</Extend>
<Order>2</Order>
<Type>Extended</Type>
</CreatePartition>
<CreatePartition>
<Extend>true</Extend>
<Order>3</Order>
<Type>Logical</Type>
</CreatePartition>
</CreatePartitions>
<ModifyPartitions>
<ModifyPartition>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>Operating System</Label>
<Letter>C</Letter>
<Order>1</Order>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
<Active>true</Active>
</ModifyPartition>
<ModifyPartition>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>User Data & Applications</Label>
<Letter>D</Letter>
<Order>2</Order>
<PartitionID>2</PartitionID>
</ModifyPartition>
</ModifyPartitions>
</Disk>
</DiskConfiguration>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
<UserData>
<ProductKey>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
<Key>you know</Key>
</ProductKey>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
<FullName>Your Name</FullName>
<Organization>Your company</Organization>
</UserData>
<EnableFirewall>true</EnableFirewall>
<EnableNetwork>true</EnableNetwork>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<FolderLocations>
<ProfilesDirectory>d:\User Profiles</ProfilesDirectory>
<ProgramData>d:\Program Files</ProgramData>
</FolderLocations>
<OOBE>
<HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
<SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
<NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
</OOBE>
<UserAccounts>
<AdministratorPassword>
<Value>password</Value>
<PlainText>true</PlainText>
</AdministratorPassword>
<LocalAccounts>
<LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
<Password>
<Value>password</Value>
</Password>
<Description>System Administrator</Description>
<DisplayName>Your Name</DisplayName>
<Group>Administrators;Power Users</Group>
<Name>Name</Name>
</LocalAccount>
</LocalAccounts>
</UserAccounts>
<RegisteredOrganization>Your Company</RegisteredOrganization>
<RegisteredOwner>Your Name</RegisteredOwner>
<StartPanelOff>true</StartPanelOff>
<ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>
<TimeZone>W. Australia Standard Time</TimeZone>
<VisualEffects>
<FontSmoothing>ClearType</FontSmoothing>
</VisualEffects>
<DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>true</DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet>
<Display>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<RefreshRate>72</RefreshRate>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
</Display>
<OEMInformation>
<HelpCustomized>false</HelpCustomized>
<Manufacturer>Your Company</Manufacturer>
<Model>Business</Model>
<SupportHours>0900-1700 Mon-Fri WST</SupportHours>
<SupportURL>http://www.yoursite.com</SupportURL>
<Logo>c:\windows\system32\OEMLogo.BMP</Logo>
</OEMInformation>
<DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
<AutoLogon>
<Password>
<Value>password</Value>
</Password>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<LogonCount>1</LogonCount>
<Username>Administrator</Username>
</AutoLogon>
<LogonCommands>
<AsynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
<CommandLine>%systemroot%\configsetroot\RunSynchronous.cmd</CommandLine>
<Description>Install Default Applications and Utilities</Description>
<Order>1</Order>
</AsynchronousCommand>
</LogonCommands>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Identification>
<JoinWorkgroup>MSHOME</JoinWorkgroup>
</Identification>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:F:\!vista RTM/sources/install.wim#Windows Vista BUSINESS" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

For me, I put unattend.xml and $oem$ in sources folders.

- sources \ $oem$ \ $1 \ FileWillBeAtRoot.txt

- sources \ autounattend.xml (with UseConfigurationSet tag)

That works well here.

Thanks sonic - that worked a treat, however you don't need to have the autounattend.xml in the source folder it can be in the root of the dvd or floppy or USB drive.

Cheers!

Sure, but one time I have an error when it's at root and now I keep it in sources ... I will re-organize my distribution folder at the end of unattend world of vista :P

lol fair enough. The problem i have found though is that the autounattend.xml/unattend.xml is not working from the source on my RTM release. Further, if you have options specified in the <DiskConfiguration></DiskConfiguration> area and boot from the DVD these settings appear to be ignored, however if you have the autounattend.xml on a floppy/USB drive they work correctly.

Some say the autounattend.xml works great from the root of the dvd, others say it doesn't. My own personal experiences are that i've not had any problem with having the autounattend.xml work from the root of the DVD, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way if something is changed too drastically in building the un-attend install DVD in the future.

We might need to explore this a little closer to see when it will work and not work from the root of the DVD.

I hate having to keep a diskette around just for an autounattend.xml file, i'd rather have it on the DVD. A nice neat 'pop in the DVD' and forget about it thing.

Sure, but one time I have an error when it's at root and now I keep it in sources ... I will re-organize my distribution folder at the end of unattend world of vista :P

lol fair enough. The problem i have found though is that the autounattend.xml/unattend.xml is not working from the source on my RTM release. Further, if you have options specified in the <DiskConfiguration></DiskConfiguration> area and boot from the DVD these settings appear to be ignored, however if you have the autounattend.xml on a floppy/USB drive they work correctly.

worked on root of dvd here everytime I done it BUT

I move it to a floppy/usb stick so I can edit on the fly, like testing something and you get them fully explaining dialog's(NOT) so i just pop in another PC, edit and retry. Don't have to reburn DVD cause I know all of that is working :thumbup and my xml has a lot in it.

I have crashed right where desktop loading begin's but just edited the xml and installed

Some other Notes on $oem$

1. Only name it AutoUnattend.xml, NOT Unattend.xml. I have NOT tried it in sources
  2. $oem$ will work off sources no problem here, read the unattend.chm cause everything is no longer supported as in XP
  3. Don't expect Driver's to work from $oem$ copy because here as I've noticed by looking at the drive i'm installing to, $oem$ don't get copied till right after it does the update thing and right before doing the Performance check
    Driver's are working here but you have to point to them.
    Note: Driver's are done early on, PE is looking for them or right after if you are pointing otherwise an error.

Edited by maxXPsoft

I hate having to keep a diskette around just for an autounattend.xml file, i'd rather have it on the DVD. A nice neat 'pop in the DVD' and forget about it thing.

Spooky,

I have an 8GB USB Flash stick with WinPE 2.0 and Vista RTM on it.

What I do is put my Autounattend.xml at the root of the USB stick and I edit the Startnet.cmd so that I can change directory to my DVD source and run setup.exe automatically after Winpe is finished booting.

The install from a USB stick is A LOT faster then installing from the DVD.

I realise that most people don't want to fork out the $250 for an 8GB stick but the prices will come down soon enough.

Edited by styxx_78

Spooky,

What I do is put my Autounattend.xml at the root of the USB stick and I edit the Startnet.cmd so that I can change directory to my DVD source and run setup.exe automatically after Winpe is finished booting.

Styxx, Can you provide complete instructions for this process please - i would be interested in testing this method.

Spooky,

Styxx, Can you provide complete instructions for this process please - i would be interested in testing this method.

Same here. I tried to setup the USB stick with WinPE 2.0 as explained in the WAIK docs, but at startup I only get a blinking cursor at a black screen. However when I create a WinPE 2.0 ISO and burn that to cd, WinPE 2.0 does startup.

I can go in the WinPE 2.0 dos box to my Vista source on my hardrive and run setup, but it would be nice to do that from the USB stick.

If I create a dos startup disk from my USB stick it does boot into dos mode. So my system supports USB stick booting.

$250 for an 8GB stick! Wow...I paid $95.00 for that little 60 GB flash drive thing from Iomega (I think it was from Iomega, the label is missing now and i can't remember) they had for a little while, I think they took it off the market now because it didn't go over so big and they advertised it wrong - they advertised it as a way to hold your MP3's but baiscally it was a 60 GB flash drive. But about a year ago i saw one in SAM's and bought it. Its been great.

I've tried the autounattend on it and it worked. The reason I like it on DVD is that anywhere i have the DVD it will install without having to plug anything in. I do a lot of customized deployments for my customers and sometimes its just eaisier, but your right it is faster from a USB flash drive device.

Spooky,

The install from a USB stick is A LOT faster then installing from the DVD.

I realise that most people don't want to fork out the $250 for an 8GB stick but the prices will come down soon enough.