A $3 cure.....

Tinker

A $3 cure..

After 18 hours of troubleshooting I hope the problem has been found. The mother board

is an Intel D850EMV2L.

Symptoms:

Random reboots

Boot failure

Loss of HDD on IDE

Flash screen freeze on boot

Change settings in BIOS but would not take effect

Other strange boogers

After total and multiple fresh installs of 2 different O.S. and long stairs at the monitor

screen (complete with hand gestures), resetting the BIOS, etc. I finally got a chance to see

the screen warning that the CMOS battery was low. Well now I have to check this out,

correct? At 11 o’clock at night I ran down to the local drug store (which is open 24\7)

after being up for 16 hours and bought a $3 watch battery. In this case it is a CR2032.

Note: By this time I am looking pretty ragged which drew the attention of the store

manager because he came up and stood by the female check out attendant while I

purchased the battery. I must have looked like I was going to rob the place.

Going home and taking the massive power in my hand (the battery is 3 V, it must be a

dollar a volt) and placing it into it’s new home I started to tremble as I placed my finger

on the “Power on” button. Well as I gazed in amazement the “CMOS batter low” alert

was still in place. However the computer was starting to act in a normal fashion. This

prompted me to do some more troubleshooting which lead me to updating the BIOS of

both the System board and the RAID controller as well as an updated driver for the

Promise TX2000. After doing so things started to take shape and after some tweaking of the

system now appears to be operating in a normal fashion..

What a day..

:)