how f***ed up is this next generation?

ripken204

i was in NYC this weekend and while there i stopped in the Nintendo store. all i can say is that ive never seen so many fat little kids with their eyes bugging out while playing nintendo ds. it is just amazing and sad at the same time. i just dont understand how video games have taken over kids these days.

i was in NYC this weekend and while there i stopped in the Nintendo store. all i can say is that ive never seen so many fat little kids with their eyes bugging out while playing nintendo ds. it is just amazing and sad at the same time. i just dont understand how video games have taken over kids these days.

Dude, we did the same thing as kids... we're just older now! :P

lol what a crazy topic, the age of gamers has been around for ages ripken204, or havnt you noticed, hell now these days people can actually livew out a true gamers dream and get paid to play games, hell take madden football for example, if you can be with in the top 10 in the world in it for online gaming, your pretty much guaranteed a job as a beta tester for the company and i believe they make between 50 to 250k a year just for playing games and telling the programmers the bugs to fix

plus also, not to mention theres tons of others games ppl can do the same also,, its getting very easy these days to become a game tester and making a living off of it,, plus not to mention tons of gaming contests every year

face it when i grew up it was named generation nintendo even though i started out on atari, it amazes me to see how things have went from there. its nice to see some ppls dreams come true,

Edited by Lost Soul

well i just dont play games alot. sure i love games but i cant sit there and play for 8+ hours a day. sure ppl can get a job as a beta tester... but i guarantee you that if you saw a statistics chart, almost 0% of them will turn out to be a beta tester. to me i just think that games are a way of keeping kids busy and letting the parents relax. anyone else agree with that? one of my little cousins is addicted to some sort of gameboy or nintendo handheld, and she refused to stop playing it while at a large family dinner. i just cant stand things like this.

Yes, sadly I wouldn't be too surprised if this generation turns out to have a shorter lifespan than the last, due to the rising obesity and physical inactivity. I think the problem is that most people look in the mirror and either don't see what everyone else does, or they're so ashamed of what they do see that they turn to games where they can be a buff Level 59 swordsman or whatever...

Luckily, my parents nagged the hell outta me whenever I played games in my childhood. Half of my childhood was also before computers and consoles became as mainstream as they are today. If you take a look at this graph, you'll notice that there's almost a 10% increase in obesity per 11 years since 1980's.

well i just dont play games alot. sure i love games but i cant sit there and play for 8+ hours a day. sure ppl can get a job as a beta tester... but i guarantee you that if you saw a statistics chart, almost 0% of them will turn out to be a beta tester. to me i just think that games are a way of keeping kids busy and letting the parents relax. anyone else agree with that? one of my little cousins is addicted to some sort of gameboy or nintendo handheld, and she refused to stop playing it while at a large family dinner. i just cant stand things like this.

well its true the possibilities of being a game beta tester are not very high but the possibilities of making a living off of just playing games is a high reality today because gaming is getting huge , so large land party gaming competitions are numerous, ppl have been recorded on making an average of 100k a year just for competing

shockingly as that is in the us alone there are about 1000 main gaming competitions alone every year

but ripkin i will agree with you on one thing, games do give parents a nice bit of quiet time away from the kids lol.

Edited by Lost Soul

iv noticed the same thing, my bro is that way. i personally can't play games because i grow bored of them too fast. plus, i get really irritated with the fact of how much money it costs just to play a decent game.

i like the classic ones, like tetris, pacman, space invaders, and all those classic games.

other than that, i cant be bothered with it. as long as my tax dollars aren't going to keep those kids alive in a hospital, i dont care. i pay enough tax without having to support them.

but ripkin i will agree with you on one thing, games do give parents a nice bit of quiet time away from the kids lol.

ya and its not a good thing :no:

ripken why do you say its a bad thing to get a break from your kids every now and again,, how many do you have, ? i have 2 and trust me when all you hear is bitching, yelling and screaming 24/7 on who did what first or to first whom,, youll be begging for a way to get a time out, and i think this way is alot better then trying to retreat into a bottle of drink

but i do not condon, kids playing a game 24-7 they should get some play time out side a house to get the daily exercise recomended by drs,, 30 minutes a day atleast they say,,

im not saying that its not good to get a break from your kids, but lots of parents rely on games to keep their kids away from them. have you ever watched nanny 911? basically evry episode involves kids who play games 24/7 and have tantrums when the nanny says that they cant play anymore. and the games cause there to be no child/parent relationship which causes no respect for eachother.

ripken thats rubbish,, games dont cause the kids to have tantrums ,, bad parenting does,, and from what i see on that show,, the parents should be whipped for the way they let things get, most of there probs rely on spoiling the kids and thats whats bad my friend

Gaming can cause addictions for most kids. As with any other addiction, forcing the kid to stop playing can cause them to react with anger, usually leading to bad relationships between parents and their children. Another problem is that they are often deprived of a chance to interact with other kids, and may result in depression and antisocial behavior later on in life.