seeking to buy a Motherboard by 2008

ideas

can someone source any motherboard ( but preferably ASUS or Gigabyte ) that will support intel Quad core CPU, SDRAM DDR3 memory type, DDR4 Video Card, new bridge technology, latest SATA etc

does anyone knows a link or can someone help me to find a link with these new motherboard technologies

can someone source any motherboard ( but preferably ASUS or Gigabyte ) that will support intel Quad core CPU, SDRAM DDR3 memory type, DDR4 Video Card, new bridge technology, latest SATA etc

does anyone knows a link or can someone help me to find a link with these new motherboard technologies

• Most Core 2 Duo motherboards support the Core 2 Quads
  • DDR3 support won't be available until it's officially out and been around for a 6 month cycle
  • Video Cards that use DDR4 only need to be supported via there interface, which is now PCI Express x16, which is also not going to change for years
  • Northbridges change every 6 months or so, SouthBridges change about every year
  • The latest SATA is unnecessary past SATA II considered current hard drives can't even touch the speed limit of SATA I

Nicely explained jcarle, I think it’s a strange question any way. Motherboard and chipset makers change there plans all the time, drop some models from there road-maps and so on and so on.

"Northbridges change every 6 months or so, SouthBridges change about every year" is a fast way to say it but there isn’t a pattern in it. You are right about the Southbridge, that one stays longer (if there are still 2 chips used ;) ).

if you're not planning on getting a new computer until 2008, then dont look until 2008. the "best" hardware will be completely different in 2 years. what was the best last year is only average this year.
QFT.

The rate at which computer hardware is changing is sufficiently fast that predicting even a few months ahead and attempting to "buy for the future" is just a waste of money. Of course, if you have the money...

Here's a good baseline to follow whenever you're buying hardware:

Buy as much hardware as you can afford.

There, I said it, simply and to the point.

Arguable, yes, but reasonable? Absolutely.

And it's what I do, too.

Buying in 2008? Wait til 2008 to make your decision.

But do keep abreast of tech trends in the meantime.

You never know when the opportunity will present itself.

If you're knowledgeable about your options, you'll make a better choice, guaranteed.

Best wishes to you from a very dark (nighttime!) Atlanta, Georgia.

The rate at which computer hardware is changing is sufficiently fast that predicting even a few months ahead and attempting to "buy for the future" is just a waste of money. Of course, if you have the money...

I disagree. For example, I bought my motherboard after a lot of research. It's lasted me almost a full year so far and I still have room to grow with it.

My CPU socket is an LGA 775, which at the time was still emerging. I started with a Pentium 630, moved to a Pentium D 930. Even if it doesn't support Core 2s, I can move my processor to a new Core 2 motherboard later.

My motherboards supports up to 800MHz DDR2, I started with 533MHz ram, moved to 667MHz, and when prices drop a bit more, I'll be able to move to 800MHz. Transferable to a new motherboard.

It has PCI-Express x16 video, also emerging technology at the time. Easily transferable to a new motherboard.

It features what was at the time, brand-new SATA II support. Allows me to install any 1st or 2nd generation SATA hard drives or optical devices, which also can be transfered to a new motherboard.

Last but not least, it has a full 24-pin power connector. So I can use any current generation power supply. "Some" of the early LGA 775 motherboards were still using 20-pin power connectors.

The point I'm trying to make is that doing research to try to "future proof" your computer as much as possible allows you to save when you upgrade and allows you to grow with your computer much further. People that buy LGA 775 motherboards with AGP 8x slots, for example, will have to spend not only to buy a new motherboard later, but a new video card too. When, if the extra few dollars had been spent to buy a PCI Express x16 capable motherboard right off the bat, then the video card could be transfered to a newer system down the road.

i saw once they're gonna hav a Bearlake-X chipset and some others for intel and some other chipsets for 2008 which will support more advanced hardware

however am looking for that link and cannot find it back, is there anyone who knows where to find that info?

well ya he should be "researching" technologies and how comps are put together and stuff. but the specific parts he wants will be completely different. half of my parts from exactly a year ago are now obsolete.

Tell me what parts of your system are "obsolete"? How do you define obsolete?

Your system is still considered a very high performance computer, even by today's standards. Tell me a computing task that it can't do. :P