Problem with using WPI after original install

Ok, so my unattended DVD works great, and it calls WPI which works great as well.

So I decided that when I insert my unattended DVD (since I dont ever install XP from a Windows environment) I want it to start up WPI. So I took out the Autorun file that was there and rewrote it to run wpi instead:

[AutoRun]
open=wpistart.cmd
icon=speed.ico

It calls my Icon and Starts a short script I wrote that should start the WPI.hta

ECHO off

if exist d:\wpi set cdrom=d:
if exist e:\wpi set cdrom=e:
if exist f:\wpi set cdrom=f:
if exist g:\wpi set cdrom=g:
if exist h:\wpi set cdrom=h:
if exist i:\wpi set cdrom=i:
if exist j:\wpi set cdrom=j:
if exist k:\wpi set cdrom=k:
if exist l:\wpi set cdrom=l:
if exist m:\wpi set cdrom=m:
if exist n:\wpi set cdrom=n:
if exist o:\wpi set cdrom=o:

ECHO.
ECHO off
%CDROM%\wpi\WPI.hta

But when it runs, it comes up with a box that states "Windows- No Disk" "There is no disk in the drive" "please insert a disk in the drive". When you click cancel a few times, it will finally find the correct cdrom and start WPI. In samples where my cdrom is drive H:, it takes a few clicks. In samples where my cdrom is drive d: it goes right in. From there out we are all good.

Any ideas why my method of finding the correct cd drive is not working silently? I have seen it used many many times before, but it seems that it cant progress to the next line without giving me an error first.

well, after doing a full reinstall on my test pc, it now works 100% of the time. If I insert the dvd, it starts WPI, if I click on the drive icon, it starts WPI. But on any other pc that the disk has not been installed on it seems to not want to find the correct drive silently.

Any thoughts? Its obviously not a wpi problem, but I figure others out there have done this same thing so maybe they have ideas or another way of "finding" a cdrom.

Your cmd is on the disc so try this:

@echo off
.\wpi\wpi.hta

Havn't tried it out but it should work!

Either that or just changed your Autorun.inf to read:

[AutoRun]
ShellExecute=wpi\wpi.hta
icon=speed.ico

This is the easiest way to do it.

why dont you just make a stand alone disk for your wpi, and place all the contents of your wpi straight on the root of the disk then in your autorun,inf just have it say

[AutoRun]
ShellExecute=wpi.hta
icon=speed.ico

atleast that way alone will find the correct drive that your wanting..

i say do this because it seems to me that, thats what your wanting,, and even tho youve got it added it to your unattended disk,, thats what your aiming at,,

thats what id say the best thing to do is,, unless your just trying to conserve your disks and in that case,, why destroy the old auto run,, why not just add a button to the old one and have it point to wpi to run, as an option..

Edited by Lost Soul

I destroyed the old autorun because I want to both conserve disks and make it dual purpose as well. I never load windows from the desktop, so its nice to just plunk in the disk and have WPI pop up.

I am going to try changing the autorun to use the ShellExecute and see what happens.

why destroy the old auto run,, why not just add a button to the old one and have it point to wpi to run, as an option..

Oh, thats not a bad idea either....hmmm

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

UPDATE: ShellExecute worked perfectly...I just didnt know that command:) I was definately doing it the hard way but that seems to be how I learn

Edited by gospeed

why dont you just make a stand alone disk for your wpi, and place all the contents of your wpi straight on the root of the disk then in your autorun,inf just have it say

[AutoRun]
ShellExecute=wpi.hta
icon=speed.ico

atleast that way alone will find the correct drive that your wanting..

i say do this because it seems to me that, thats what your wanting,, and even tho youve got it added it to your unattended disk,, thats what your aiming at,,

thats what id say the best thing to do is,, unless your just trying to conserve your disks and in that case,, why destroy the old auto run,, why not just add a button to the old one and have it point to wpi to run, as an option..

Thanks LS excellent suggestion. :thumbup