Increase free memory on win98

Kmuland

Hi guys..

Anyone can give me advice/tricks about ways for increase my free memory?

Currently I use 98lite with the win95 shell and for sure I have deleted all these TTF fonts that loads windows at startup and I never use (Its the typical trick I read on internet pages)

I wonder if I can disable more archives that load at windows startup for increase my free memory.

oh yes.. I heard about winimize.. but before try it.. I would want to try other tricsk for increase the free memory on my current system.

Anyone have tried Winimize? I need the audio/video support for install drivers and also PCMCIA support. Anyon e know if they will be avilable on the winimize installation?

oh yes.. I heard about winimize.. but before try it.. I would want to try other tricsk for increase the free memory on my current system.

Anyone have tried Winimize? I need the audio/video support for install drivers and also PCMCIA support. Anyon e know if they will be avilable on the winimize installation?

You can it takes a little fiddling around though.In your 98lite disable all unneeded apps on start up either via msconfig or in the registry. Turn off vcache and unload any finished dlls should give you some more free ram. Having a fixed decent sized swap file will also help speed things along as will replacing your shell with liteshell (enables you to remove systray from mem)

thanks for the tips oscardog Ill try to remove DLLs.. its the on thread I havent done yet..

Curently my system was running without any startup process.. no system tray no vcache.. and I got 13MB free after bootup... I wonder If Ill increase this amount abit more..

The liteshell is nice but its hard to replace the functionallity of having the desktop.

Ill continue searching ways for increase the freemem

thanks for the tips oscardog Ill try to remove DLLs.. its the on thread I haven't done yet..

Currently my system was running without any startup process.. no system tray no vcache.. and I got 13MB free after bootup... I wonder If Ill increase this amount a bit more..

The liteshell is nice but its hard to replace the functionallity of having the desktop.

And, you don't want to just add more ram.......WHY?

That should be your first effort.

B)

thanks for the tips oscardog Ill try to remove DLLs.. its the on thread I havent done yet..

Curently my system was running without any startup process.. no system tray no vcache.. and I got 13MB free after bootup... I wonder If Ill increase this amount abit more..

Deleting unneeded fonts will give you some more free ram, fonts are loaded at startup. Using analogx maxmem can also flush your ram use/adjust its max setting. I have ran a win9x mp3 player box on 32mb ram without to much trouble, but this was a minimal install very few vxd,drv, really just the sound card on the pci bus and very few system devices installed.

Good luck

And, you don't want to just add more ram.......WHY?

That should be your first effort.

Oh yes.. you are right.. I think like you .. I prefer upgrage hardware instead tweak it for get few little extra cycles/performance

...but this time this solution is totally imposible for me.

Im running a very ancient Tiny laptop (a toshiba libretto) and its very difficult and expensive get memories for that model cause it does not use standard memopry chips. Cause its a very portable computer Im trying to get all the best from it (I use it daily)

Really computer works nice with 98lite.. my uses are listend mp3, read books/comics and maybe play some low cpu games.. but sometimes I run out of memory and I hear the HD working for the virtual memory.

Removing the systray and disabling the soundcard when I dont use it improve the memory resources... but Im not sure what more things unnistall..

My basic needs are:

-sound (when playin Mp3s)

-video (for read books/PDF or colour comics)

Hey.. maybe an old question... what colour deep is better: 8/16/24bits? I can use any of these modes but not sure what will give best performance.

For example the comics I read are scanned usually at 24bits colours. What happend if use 8 or 16 bits modes on my videocard? there are more CPU cyles needed for decode the image? maybe more memory is involved into this process?

btw.. currently my win98 consume 20mb after bootup... anyone have got smaller ammount using win98 or 98lite?

(Im not sure if Ill try winimize since I heard there are problems for add video/audio support installing drivers)

Don't disable Vcache! Doing that would make the HDD crank even more, just like in the 386 and 486 days!

No it does not

"Curently my system was running without any startup process.. no system tray no vcache"

the system will perform quite adequately with such low memory, in fact a vcache is unneeded in such a lite system until it is being pushed beyond its intended means, it cannot afford to

Edited by oscardog

Don't disable Vcache! Doing that would make the HDD crank even more, just like in the 386 and 486 days!

No it does not

"Curently my system was running without any startup process.. no system tray no vcache"

the system will perform quite adequately with such low memory, in fact a vcache is unneeded in such a lite system until it is being pushed beyond its intended means, it cannot afford to

I doubt for long. Because disk activities will be slowed down. Your web browser probably will be slow.

Reminds me of and is just like Windows 3.1 without SMARTDRV! On one PC with Windows 3.1, without a disk cache, Netscape literally took at least around 5 minutes just for it to load! LOL!

You can quite easily run Win98 in 20 MB ram, if you are prepared to gut it.

I used 98Lite to remove explorer and a few other things. I used the Win95 shell, but there is at the LitePC site, a version of the 95 shell linked to shell32.w95. This allows you to use the shell32.dll from Win98. It's called sleekv2.exe. I took out OE and all sorts of stuff of little use.

You can install IE vers 6, but it runs faster than the integrated version.

You then turn off as much of the effects you are prepared to use, and limit the number of tasks running.

Don't use any wallpaper as it will consume the equivalent of a bitmap of the size and bit depth of your desktop.

A 16 color icon consumes 1 kb. A 256 color icon consumes 3.55kb and a 16 million color one 4.05kb.

And reduce the iconcache size to the minimum you can as the entire iconcache is held in memory.

thanks for the tips guys I saved extra memory using 256 colours desktop mode... and also using the reg setting "Max Cache Icon" (100)

Btw I dont use any pic on desktop... and I dont have any shortcut icon on it or into the Index menu.. just the non removable ones like My PC and trash Bin...

About the Vcache currently Im using:

MinFileCache = 2048

MaxFileCache = 8192

I tried disabling Vcache but didnt find so much difference..

I thinking seriously about install Liteshell and save some extra memory with it.. but I have a problem..

Cause I dont have systray or desktop on the liteshell panel I cannt see the icon for unplug USB devices (for example unplug safely my USB memory stick)...

Anyone know a command line for run/open that window?

Currently I have 15mb used by the OS after windows bootup :)

I wonder what other things I could do for squeeze the memory a little more..

thanks for the tips guys I saved extra memory using 256 colours desktop mode... and also using the reg setting "Max Cache Icon" (100)

Btw I dont use any pic on desktop... and I dont have any shortcut icon on it or into the Index menu.. just the non removable ones like My PC and trash Bin...

About the Vcache currently Im using:

MinFileCache = 2048

MaxFileCache = 8192

I tried disabling Vcache but didnt find so much difference..

I thinking seriously about install Liteshell and save some extra memory with it.. but I have a problem..

Cause I dont have systray or desktop on the liteshell panel I cannt see the icon for unplug USB devices (for example unplug safely my USB memory stick)...

Anyone know a command line for run/open that window?

Currently I have 15mb used by the OS after windows bootup :)

I wonder what other things I could do for squeeze the memory a little more..

Try traymodule with liteshell, hopefully it will enable you to unplug your usb, also offbyone is a very useful minimal web browser

"I doubt for long. Because disk activities will be slowed down. Your web browser probably will be slow.

Reminds me of and is just like Windows 3.1 without SMARTDRV! On one PC with Windows 3.1, without a disk cache, Netscape literally took at least around 5 minutes just for it to load! LOL!"

My system was with a 32mb, 133mhz cd rom only with no hd,it was an experiment in voice activation many moons ago and the mp3s would start to get jittery, breakup after being used for a long time with a vcache but would play fine with the extra free ram if off

Edited by oscardog