Pentium 4 CPU Temp too high?

Aaron

Speaking of Underclocking how do you over clock??

You rasise the Front side bus (FSB). This can in 99% of all cases be done in BIOS. When overclocking you should keep in mind:

- If you are not able to lock the PCI/AGP bus it will be rasied with the FSB

- The RAM frequency will we raised with the FSB if you can't lock it

- Raising the FSB will potentially make the CPU unstable, rasing the voltage on the CPU will stabalize it

- Raising the voltage will generate more heat, thus extra cooling might be needed. Overheating the CPU might destroy the CPU.

:rolleyes:

ok sounds like it mite not be a good i idea ithink 2.53Ghz is fast enough.

:)

my Abit mobo has a softmenu in the bios, I think it does CPU/PCI/AGP and I just raise it or lower it. It can go up to 6Ghz (no way I'm ever gonna try that!)

With high quality hardware and proper air cooling I have seen people OC the p4 3.0 to 3.8. But thats the highest on air I have seen.

Watercooling (which is the next item on my list within a 2 week period) I have seen 4.5

my Abit mobo has a softmenu in the bios, I think it does CPU/PCI/AGP and I just raise it or lower it. It can go up to 6Ghz (no way I'm ever gonna try that!)

BTW Aaron, If you try to overclock and your PC doesn't boot, don't worry. Just shut it down, unplug the pc power supply cord and clear the cmos on your motherboard by moving the jumper from 2 sets of pins over. It's in your manual. Then start it up. The BIOS will be set back to default.

Then just try to overclock the next lowest setting you were at before it wouldn't boot.

... If you try to overclock and your PC doesn't boot, don't worry. Just shut it down, unplug the pc power supply cord and clear the cmos on your motherboard by moving the jumper from 2 sets of pins over. It's in your manual. Then start it up. The BIOS will be set back to default...

Actually, many modern mobos reset themselves if they're unable to boot. So that might not be problem at all :)

Actually, many modern mobos reset themselves if they're unable to boot. So that might not be problem at all

Yea thats a nice feature that i have noticed native of the abits. Although i havent seen tinkered with the P4 models yet. All the P3 and AMD versions had this niffty feature.

|Drew|

Did you get the new gear yet?

I've been running a P4 3.06 with the Intel retail fan and Artic Silver for some time now. It runs right at 136f at idle. I think it ran a couple of degrees cooler with the Intel grease that came with the CPU.

If I were you, I would try the Artic Silver first. Then run the stuff that came with the CPU if it is the factory Intel grease to see if it runs cooler with it.

I installed the vantec aeroflow fan using artic silver 3 this afternoon, very happy with it :D

Stock speed is 3.0GHz (not 3.06, as this is the 800MHz FSB version) I overclocked to 3.21GHz, temp stable at 35C, then I went up to 3.53GHz, resulting in a BSOD when the PC was idle when I went out for a cigarette! :rolleyes:

I upped it to 3.7GHz, but the PC wouldn't boot, even when the temp wasn't that bad at around 40C. Moments later after resetting the CMOS, I overclocked to 3.3GHz with CPU:DRAM at 5:4 and its been fine since. I may have to fiddle with the other options such as the memory if I want to keep a stable 3.5 or 3.7GHz.

I'm all new to this overclocking though! :)

And of course to help with heat wire managment is the best. Just by doing this I brough my temps down 4 degrees.

And it looks nicer!

Before:

013_11A%20(Custom).JPG

After:

017_15A%20(Custom).JPG 021_19A%20(Custom).JPG

XPerties, I heard on TechTV that those IDE cables aren't that good...Sometimes they could corrupt you data or a wire could disconnect...Then again, the might be wrong...

A friend of mine asked them to get a price for a top, and I mean top of the line machine, at 3.2 GHz (not overclocked, and with good parts as well :) )...How much RAM do you think this guy should get? More than 1 GB?

Actually gamehead techtv did a review on the rounded cables and they found no lose in performance. They actually said it better to have them as they do not restrict air flow.

And 512 is good enough for anything now a days, but I would always suggest 1 gig. I'm upgrading to 1 gig later down the line.