internal or external.

I've heard about replacing existing

phone line with a good quality one.

I tried that but didn't help.

Is there a way to increase the

connection speed to near 56k

somehow?

Thanks.

You may still be at a slower speed! For me, even when Windows reports 48.0 kbps, I usually at 40 kbps.

When I run download tests from various web sites and listen to streaming music, I'm at 40 kbps.

I can't choose a 48 kbps file, because it will cut out and go into a rebuffering loop! :realmad:

Is there anything else I should try to get it at a true 48 kbps?

It seems that I'm capable of going faster, even where I live, but it won't stay there!

Before I bother with moving again?

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

56K is the raw speed, and is a theoretical maximum. With transmission overhead included the best you can get on a very high-quality line is ~50K. Noise and other disturbance will lower the speed drastically.

From my (very limited) understanding of dial-up connections. If you've got above a 33.6k connection (raw, not actual throughput), you're taking advantage of the modern stuff in the modems.

In order to get above a 33.6k connection, there must be only one analog to digital transition in the connection between you and your ISP.

Your end is the analog, and the ISP is the digital connection. If it gets processed anymore than that in between you can never hope to have anything greater than 33.6k.

Edited by JoeMSFN

Yes, modems can use compression protocol to dramatically increase apparent speed.

Next time you're on dialup, try downloading a file of mostly zero bytes (eg. ISOs :lol::o:blink:). If you see the speed go beyond 7KB/s, the modem is using compression.