using windows update

Ok, got it figured out

[guirunonce]
Command0="%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemdrive%\install\install.inf"

Dont seem to like MSI files at all......

thanks for the update on this yes I use a combination of this. I actaully use cmd files for a few things and then laod the inf files from the cmd files. and i had also durring experimanting found the same command lines you use above although I had not found the command trick for the winnt.sif.

One more thing I use cmd files to install anything that needs the iss file( ie anything that uses install shield), As for the rest I have found a little utility for minimzing the command propmt and it works pretty good. You simply give a command and it hides the window.

Ok, got it figured out

[guirunonce]
Command0="%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemdrive%\install\install.inf"

Dont seem to like MSI files at all......

Yes I finally got it loading from commands.txt and doing a few other things. You are correct in that it does not seem to like doing msi files. I wonder why that is but it skips them completely as far as I can tell. I can get around this though by doing it wiht a cmd file and just calling that.

Hi

Excuse me for one stupid cuestion; i´ve three cmd files main,apps & hotfix, with that  BAT2EXEC i convert all them to *.com, right so i have to change GUI  portion of my winsif to This

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\bacht.com

%systemdrive%\instalar\hotfix.com

%systemdrive%\instalar\apps.com

Sorry but my english is to bad.

Thanks in the advice

there is a big problem wiht using com files. When you compile your batch files there are things that dont convert over so some com files will wimply not work.

It would seem as though most of the theings we do in our cmd files are not compatable with the compile process. Well at least some of ti is not.

before i went to bed(was up real late experimenting) i setup my Msi files to run as RunonceEx instead of Runonce...

It seemed to load them..... i think, was just running the command in windows to do the inf..... but it screwed up on all the others, gonna test it on a fresh install in VirtualPC when i get home

well being me i prefer the inf way besides I have just about converting my whole install over to useing them. i have it al lowrking more or less now but I'm working out a few little things I still want to add.

As for the installshield you will still need to use a batch for it and then have the registry call the batch. A tiny bit more work biut it looks better when it's done.

Now me and webmedic could argue about this all day, he found the inf way and i found the reg way

it all depends on what you want for good looks and simplicity use the reg way

for advanced instalation ie: install programs before runonceEX use the inf way, allthough you can install programs using a batch with the cmdlines.txt the inf method is probably more stable, so the choice is yours simplicity or greater control????? they both look the same

i'm sorry, i may look like a dumbass but i understand nothing on this

where do i have to put setup.reg? and cmdlines.cmd? i thought it was cmdlines.txt under $OEM$\

what's copy.exe? and user.exe? i know they are compiled bats but...

what about MSFN unattended guide...? there are 3 .cmd in there:

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\main_batch.cmd

%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes.cmd

%systemdrive%\install\applications.cmd

so i wouldnt need them anymore?

a well-structured guide 2 do this would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance and sorry

• 2 weeks later...
ah the tick is the inf way you dont get it the other way. or at least I dont think you do. but here is a link about using inf for installing.

http://board.MSFN.org/index.php?showtopic=8632

this exact same method can be used for guirunonce also but in that example I do the cmdlines.txt part.

No i fully understand the Windows Update way and have make my setup do it that way and it works like a dream with no problems in fact in sovle some problems i had and now i wish to do it the inf way becuase i try everything around here.

:)