using windows update

before we go any further wiht this there are some installers that this thing does not like for those cmd files will still need to be used but i have found a little command line program that allows you to execute cmd files without the window.  I also found another one that will tree the command so you can do multiple things with it. For instance you could aslo log what is going on in the batch file. to a txt file for later viewing. Only problem is that this loging is not available for for any normal installers run through the inf file.

As for running them through winnt.sif

this should do the trick. This is untested though. I am currently converting most my install stuff to this.

Run("C:\WINDOWS\rundll.exe","setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 path\to\inf\file\install.inf")

Let me test that though first to make sure but it should work.  I'll run up the scripts real quick and test it in virtualpc. I'll snapshot it in irfanview for you guys.

I will be anxiously awaiting the results, until then I will be converting over to this myself to see how things go. For anyone curious I found info regarding the .inf files here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/tech...0/en/INFDOC.HTM

I also came across a couple ways to run batch files silently... well hidden at least:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&....com%26rnum%3D2

well there you go the only way to d othat is to have the file associations already setup in the registry and unfortunatly since we are installing most of that kind of stuff for the first time there is no associations. Nice try though.

I've got a few more goodies up my sleave I hope we will see though I can pretty much promise you that those kind of things will not ba able to be done at that point in the install.

You can set file associations before you try to open the flash :) But I think there are better ways to go about it than covering it up....

Change file associations via command line:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0100/rh0108.htm

As far as opening up a command prompt without a window showing use this:

'** RunDOS.VBS **
Dim sCMD, i, WshShell
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
For i = 0 to WScript.Arguments.Count -1
 sCMD = sCMD & " " & WScript.Arguments(i)
Next
WshShell.Run Trim(sCMD), SW_HIDE, False
Set WshShell = Nothing

And call it like this:

wscript RunDOS.vbs "cmd /c yourbatch.bat"

You could also do this (should minimize the window)

cmd.exe /c start /min c:\yourbatch.bat

well there you go the only way to d othat is to have the file associations already setup in the registry and unfortunatly since we are installing most of that kind of stuff for the first time there is no associations. Nice try though.

I've got a few more goodies up my sleave I hope we will see though I can pretty much promise you that those kind of things will not ba able to be done at that point in the install.

err...html is already in the registry because it comes with windows as default.

:):rolleyes::D:D

Opening an htm or html file would require opening internet explorer & there isn't much point in doing that :D I mean it's nice that it looks cool & all... but the whole point is that I won't be there to see any of it :rolleyes:

Well I haven't tested this yet, so I'm not sure if it works, but this might cut down the work load for everyone else :)

HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"MS03-008%systemdrive%\\install\hotfix\\js56nen.exe /Q:A /R:N"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q323255",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q323255.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q328310",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q328310.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q329048",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q329048.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q329115",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q329115.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q329170",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q329170.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q329390",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q329390.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q329441",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q329441.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q329834",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q329834.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q330994",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\q330994.exe /Q:A /R:N"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q331953",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q331953.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q810565",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q810565.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q810577",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q810577.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q810833",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q810833.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q811493",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q811493.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q811630",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q811630.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q817287",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q817287.EXE /Q:A /R:N"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q817606",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q817606.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q822925",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\q822925.EXE /Q:A /R:N"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"KB819639",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\KB819639.exe /Q:A /R:N"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"KB821557",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\KB821557.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"KB823559",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\KB823559.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"KB823980",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\KB823980.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,""Q814033","%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q814033.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"Q815021",0,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q815021.exe /Q /M /Z"
HKLM,%RunOnce%setup,"%systemdrive%\\install\\hotfix\\Q823718.exe /C:'dahotfix.exe /q /n' /q"

Opening an htm or html file would require opening internet explorer & there isn't much point in doing that :rolleyes: I mean it's nice that it looks cool & all... but the whole point is that I won't be there to see any of it :rolleyes:

Right let me get this right you what to make a screen to cover the batch file progress but your not going to be there to see it.

huh :D

Right let me get this right you what to make a screen to cover the batch file progress but your not going to be there to see it.

huh  :)

No, I simply posted a way for someone to do it if they wanted to :rolleyes: I personally don't really care what it looks like :D The whole point of an unattended install is just that... it's unattended.

huh  :rolleyes:

No, I simply posted a way for someone to do it if they wanted to :D I personally don't really care what it looks like :D The whole point of an unattended install is just that... it's unattended.

i see

:)

Hi

Excuse me for one stupid cuestion; i´ve three cmd files main,apps & hotfix, with that BAT2EXEC i convert all them to *.com, right so i have to change GUI portion of my winsif to This

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\bacht.com

%systemdrive%\instalar\hotfix.com

%systemdrive%\instalar\apps.com

Sorry but my english is to bad.

Thanks in the advice

Winxp Doesnt ship with rundll only rundll32

just a quick note for those trying to get webmedics thing to work

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 path\to\install.inf

**update

so far trying to integrat this into winnt.sif i am getting an error when trying

%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemdrive%\install\install.inf

Run("%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemdrive%\install\install.inf")

Run(%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe","setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemdrive%\install\install.inf")

hrm..