What are your ergonomic tips?

tain

Most of us are geeks who spend entirely too much time sitting in a chair all day. We get bad posture, achy backs, RSI and sore hamstrings.

I've looked around a bit and most of the advice I've found can be summarized as:

Sit on an exercise ball

Sit on a knee chair

Sit on a different chair (for variety)

Sit on an ergonomic chair

Sit on an expensive ergonomic chair (Aeron, et al)

Use an ergonomic mouse

Take frequent breaks

Go running

Participate in a sport

Get a dog

Stretch more

Exercising in general

What are your ergonomic tips? What is your method of prevention?

More or less same as yours.

-Strech

-Good posture and ergonomics (right height, not looking at sides, etc)

-Use a trackball instead of a mouse (MUCH easier on the wrists - one that's thumb-driven, the others are totally unusable)

-exercise balls are good (I swap the chait for it every now and then)

I used a Logitech trackball for about year. My thumb started started cramping up and aching. Now, 8 years later, it still cracks like when you crack your knuckles; only it does it fairly often and without provocation.

Now I use an Evoluent vertical mouse and some other assorted mice. I try to change every so often to prevent the RSI from setting in.

The exercise ball sounds like a neat idea. How much pressure do you keep in it? AKA, how much do you sink when you sit on it? I can't really think which would be better: firm or bouncy. (the exercise ball, of course!)

The exercise ball sounds like a neat idea. How much pressure do you keep in it? AKA, how much do you sink when you sit on it? I can't really think which would be better: firm or bouncy. (the exercise ball, of course!)

Pressure wise... No idea. You just inflate it 'till it reaches the diameter it's supposed to have (that's what my instructions said at least).

I've never measured how much I sink, but it's not very much (you just pick the one based on how tall you are). It's neither really firm nor very bouncy really.

Helps the old back a lot...

11 miles? I only wish, but that's a plan to be in excruciating pain for a week (well, for me at least) The only execise I can do pretty much is walking :(

I run, but mostly because I have to do so for my job. I hate running!

Tennis is fun but my gf and I are really bad at it...which might actually make it more fun :)

Snowboarding is my favorite activity but I currently live in an area with NO slopes.

Has anyone seen one of these HumanScale chairs in real life? It looks really interesting in the ads. I am thinking it might make a good replacement for my aging Aeron.

• 3 weeks later...
Great link, thanks!

My gf and I have recently discovered "puppy tennis." Its not as bad as it sounds! :whistle:

We go to a nearby tennis court that has a chain link fence all around it. We have odd days off, so we can go when nobody else is around and just let our beagle puppy run around. She (the beagle) chases the ball around and hunts various critters that invade the area. And we get extra exercise by chasing her to get the ball back when she steals it as well as trying to keep the ball away from her. Good times! :D

Since my legs tend to bother me from sitting too much, this caught my eye: http://www.slimgeek.com/index.html but it looks very over-the-top, expensive and potentially bad for the back.

So I was thinking something like these might do the trick: http://www.footsmart.com/C-Deluxe-Exercise...dalers-111.aspx Has anyone tried something like this?

I was reading this page today and found some neat stuff.

http://www.comfortkeyboard.com/index.htm has tons of really neat, unique products.

One commentor posted this:

For mouse problems, simply mousing with your weak side did me some good. I felt like a n00b for the first two weeks until my left hand got used to it, but it took my elbow pain down a big notch.

And several people advocate the removal of arm rests. I personally use a chair with adjustable rests and sometimes move them to their lowest setting to temporarily nullify them.

I find it interesting the lengths we go through to adapt our bodies to the modern lifestyle.

The Geek-a-Cycle does seem over the top indeed. And likely not comfortable. Wouldn't work for me. I'd end up bagning my knees under the keyboard holder, *WAY* too far from the monitor for my old eyes (unless it comes with the Hubble telescope or a 60" screen?), and it seems VERY HARD for the back indeed - which is my primary ergonomic concern (my back screwed up totally). Never considered anything for legs like that before as I walk a lot most days.

That comfortkeyboard site sure has a lot of weird keyboards. Mind you I wouldn't swap my Model M for any of them :lol: The only thing I'd consider instead's a Maltron which are too expensive (820$ for the nice one). Kind of funny though, because I likely have spent more $ on LOTS of crappy keyboards (up to 150$ a pop) than a Maltron costs, and they're likely to never be used even once again... I've just ordered a spare yesterday - buckling spring switches is where it's at! :yes:

• 3 months later...