Nero and Pioneer DVR-111D

Messerschmitt

I use the above 2 mentioned to burn DVD's.

This night, I wanted to burn a couple but 3 out of 4 has faild.

This night I also had run the DivX Converter, converting me different files. I tried to burn a 8x DVD at the 12X speed (I made the speed simulation and it ended up to 15.8X, but 12X is the option I have available), but it allways stoped at 70% - something. What is happening is, the buffer (or catch) bar (the one above the complete percentage) is droping from 100% to 0% (86%, 73%, 56%, etc). Once it hits it, it reloads again at 100% but the "buffer level" percentage is stucked and the LED from the DVD drive is no longer on, but the sound of reading is still present. I waited once more than half an hour and nothing changes

After 3 faild attemps, I droped the speed to 8X.

The first DVD was made OK, so I thought that because the DVD is a 8X speed wrriten on it, and because I am encoding, this speed is safe, but a second DVD faild again at 96% because of the same reason.

My question is, am I doing something rong? Why is this happening? I check the "finalize disk" and that's pretty much it. I couldn't find a way to tick the "simulation" since it's grayed out.

I use Nero 6.3 + Pioneer 111D and haven't had any problems burning DVD data or video. But the PC doesn't do anything else while burning and only burns at the lowest speed x1.

Sometimes it's DMA or media problem when things go wrong.

Edited by Takeshi

This is a typical problem called a 'buffer underrun'. Basically the hard drive is not providing data at the required rate, and so the buffer empties and the partially-burnt disk is spoilt.

Ensure all unnecessary programs and services (unnecessary to the burning process) are not running during the burning process, and don't do anything with the machine during such.

I don't think it can be CPU, I have it only at 60% when burning. I don't know how the HDD is manifesting in such condition.

Thank you for informing me that this is a buffer underrun, I can start looking on google for more tips.

Can nero actualy help in such conditions? Are there any options?

Nero usually says what's happened and has a log.

If the HD is not sending enough data to keep up with the burn speed, surely it'd make sense to reduce the burn speed. That's my logic anyway.

Other thoughts: HD controller, fragmentation, memory...

I just stoped burning when the DivX encoding process is running, and I will not burn over the written speed on the disc, in this case, 8x.

Working fine until now. Yet I don't know how can I activate the under-running buffer protection for make data, that I keep seeing when i'm copying 2 CDs/DVD's.

The best advise you're going to get is right before you. Read it again....

Ensure all unnecessary programs and services (unnecessary to the burning process) are not running during the burning process, and don't do anything with the machine during such.

I've been preaching this for years, since I bought my first CD burner, a 2x external unit that weighed about ten pounds and ran off'n a special SCSI driver card in the PC.

The most demanding program you'll likely ever run on your PC is Nero, to burn a DVD.

It wants total access to your CPU, RAM and hard drive.

Shut down ALL running programs before you even click the icon to run Nero.

I use a great little utility called "End It All 2" to accomplish this task, with just a couple of mouse clicks.

A while back it came up missing on the internet so I put a copy of my own on my Download Site where folks can get it.

It's in the "Computer Tools" section. Set it to Allow Kill on all your AV and AS software that runs in the background.

Nero will love you for it and you'll make fewer Coasters in the process. :thumbup

Oh, one last thing.....NEVER burn any disk, CD or DVD at the max speed. The slower the burn, the better the burn. I never burn a CD at anything faster than 16x , or a DVD at more than 4x, even though my burner is a 8X burner and my DVD's are all 8x DVD's.

If you do what LLXX and I have told you here, you should never burn a Coaster ever again. :no:

Andromeda43 ;)