NAV 2006 OR AVAST ?!

Hello guys, small question, after 3 years of using NAV now i'm installing AVAST but i'm not sure if its a right step I did! Still cant feel safe with AVAST after long time of using NAV.. What u think guys! which one better !!

Hello guys, small question, after 3 years of using NAV now i'm installing AVAST but i'm not sure if its a right step I did! Still cant feel safe with AVAST after long time of using NAV.. What u think guys! which one better !!

Your question is a very valid one and an Important one to all XP users.

(lets just leave it here,,,,please)

When you've used a program for a long time, it's hard to know what program to use when replacing it.

Norton is now recognized as one of the worse AV programs and one of the most invasive and system resource hogs on the planet. I personally remove it from several PC's every week in my Computer Repair Business.

Avast might be a possible choice, but I much prefer AVG 7.1 FREE.

It's the EU's #1 AV program and for us home users, its absolutely free.

If properly set up, it will update itself and run a full AV scan once every 24 hour.

Just set the scheduler to a time that you'll be on line for the update and just ON for the scan.

You can download it here:

AVG 7.1 FREE:

World famous AVG FREE will keep your computer free of viruses, trojans, dialers, etc.

By default, it updates and scans for viruses on a daily basis.

Can be downloaded from:

http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Save to your desktop and run the install from there.

Immediately get updates. More than one may be required.

Congratulations on getting rid of Norton.

Andromeda43 B)

PS: Many times Norton will not remove itself as it should. Symantec has provided a removal tool to accomplish this. (possibly under federal court order)

With some difficulty, I've found this tool and its three files and downloaded them, zipped them together and put them on a download site that I rent space on.

Select "Computer Tools" from the opening menu to get to the download page.

Download "Norton Killer.exe" and save it to your desktop. Put it in a new folder on the desktop and click the file for an automatic Un-Zip. Run the three files in numerical order to finalyze the removal of Norton.

Good Luck, Andromeda43 B)

Many tech shops recommend it as well.

Well, I hope the "tech shops" in your area are better than the ones around here.

(I AM the best shop in this area, with 40+ years of technical experience)

Most are on a par with "The Geek Squad" and are a bunch of idiots. :w00t:

I would run away from anything they recommended. They used to sell Norton, and some still do.

They don't get any money from AVG FREE, so they won't even mention it.

Techies, nerds and geeks may like the GUI of Avast, but the average home user will find AVG much more user friendly.

Remember: The worlds best Security Software is still absolutely FREE.

And yes, ANYTHING is better than NORTON.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

Andromeda43 B)

You may find this AVG vs. Avast an interesting read.

I'm contemplating switching to Avast from AVG, but the thread mentions conflict with ZA, which I have (the free ed.). :huh:

Since version 2, ZoneAlarm has had several issues. Those include memory leaks, stability issues and more. The software even slows the pageload time for websites. :\

ZoneAlarm is terrible. Used it, thought it sucked. All the problems you listed there were present when I used it. It was a nightmare, some pages wouldn't load properly, I signed in with Hotmail and when I tried checking my inbox with it sign me out automatically and returns me to the sign in screen again. POS software, I don't see whats so good about it.

Worser than Norton in my opinion.