Windows XP Unattended Essentials.

Hello,

I am creating a Windows XP Professional unattended installation CD.

To begin with i have integrated SP2 and hotfixes dated August and earlier (ryanvm v2.1.1).

I aim to create an unattended installation that is as generic as possible and caters for the majority.

I wanted to know what the essentials are for an unattended installation of Windows XP, by essential i mean updates to the operating system and it's components.

For example, i would consider the following essential in order of importance:

• SP2
    Critical updates
    Direct X 9.0c runtimes
    Windows Installer v3.1
    .NET framework v2.0
    Windows Media Player 10
    Windows Live Messenger

Can i ask for the advice of forum members on what they consider essential updates? What i want once my installation of Windows XP has completed is an operating system that is 100% up-to-date with all the functionality of the original operating system and any additional functionality released (by microsoft) since.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

My definition

-----------------

Updates to system security, ensuring the user is protected. (sp2, critical updates...)

Update and add additional functionality released by Microsoft. (.net, installer, dx9c...)

Avoid the need for post-install of commonly required components (flash, acrobat reader...)

Replacing existing programs to benefit the user in terms of functionality. (wmp10, paint.net, notepad++...)

Avoid installing custom programs to your taste (av, firewall, maintenance utilities...)

Microsoft Windows XP 'Essentials' (updated 06.11.06)

Stability & Functionality

--------------------------------

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Critical Updates

Windows Update 6

Windows Installer v3.1

.NET v1.1

.NET v2.0

Ascentive Library Files (replaces Visual Basic 6 runtimes)

StartupCPL

3rd party

------------

Sun Java runtimes

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Macromedia Flash & Shockwave plugins

Codec pack of some sort

Replace operating system components

--------------------------------------------------

Internet Explorer v6, with v7.

Paint with Paint.NET

Windows Messenger with Live Messenger

Calc with PowerCalc

Windows Media Player v9, with v11

Notepad with Notepad++

Security

-----------

Custom Hosts file or alternative.

Is there anything missing guys, that you'd consider an essential and doesn't break the definition?

laze.

Edited by just_laze

Since you've installed .NET 2.0, add Paint .NET, too. You might also consider a few Sysinternals(.com) addons like Process Explorer or Powertoys XP programs like PowerCalc and Tweak UI (available from download.microsoft.com). Personally, I consider a professional defragmentation software like PerfectDisk as well as a Registry cleaner like jv16 PowerTools essential for a working Windows installation as well. You might want to add a few security programs like SpywareBlaster(.org), ZoneAlarm and Bitdefender. Probably you won't regret including a custom HOSTS file plus it's manager software like the one from Bluetack(.co.uk) either to get rid of internet ads. Last but not least, don't forget the Registry Tweaks available from this forum.

Edit: CCleaner as well as CleanUp! (by Steven Gould) are essential as well. Their names state their purpose ;)

Edited by legionaire

Hi manu144x, I'm aware of the unnattended.msfn.org site but other than the Application List there isn't anything advising what would be considered essential. The only obvious essentials that a user unfamiliar with the Windows XP Professional operating system would know about is Service Pack 2 and Critical Updates, while .NET, DirectX9.0c and Windows Installer v3.1 are also important essentials that everyone should include in the BASE build of their unattended installation. I'm just trying to move toward v0.01, no fancy bits, just a secure (in microsoft's eyes), fully functional unattended installation. :-)

Thank you for your reply legionaire, i'd definitely consider a custom hosts file and have recently read this thread which appears to be a better solution than replacing the host file itself considering the associated slow-downs - Paint.NET and PowerCalc would be great replacements for Paint and Calc.

The rest of your suggestions i see as post-installations, although sensible recommendations i don't want to consider including applications until i'm happy that i've slipstreamed all updates to the operating system itself and the commercially shipped applications.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

Let me just point out that the domain blocklist adds sites to IE's restricted zone. It does not block ads like the ones from Google from showing. Spywareblaster (the one from JavaCool Software) actually works along the same lines, it's not a program that runs in the background but rather automates the one-time task of adding domains to the restricted zone. Additionally, Spywareblaster's blocklist receives frequent updates.

Regarding the slow-down associated with a bloated HOSTS file, that can be cured by disabling the DNS service. There exist claims that disabling the DNS service will cause delays as well, however I have not seen this happen on my systems.

Good topic, Just Laze. My base CD install includes most of your items, the ultra-essentials:

SP2

Critical updates

Direct X 9.0c runtimes

Windows Installer v3.1

Other essential items are installed over the network:

Windows Update 6

Visual Basic 6 runtime

Media Player 11

Internet Explorer 7

Windows Defender

.NET 1.1 (RyanVM's switchless)

And a few other MS items, not essential but groovy and therefore installed by default:

Photostory

Power Calculator

TweakUI

Those are the Microsoft items, but no install is complete, me thinks, without a few other "essentials" like:

JAVA runtime

Acrobat Reader (RyanVM's switchless)

Flash & Shockwave plugins

decompression tool (Winzip for the masses)

disk defragmenter (I use Diskeeper, I believe MS does as well)

Edit: antivirus (I use AVG free)

Other optional items are installed via WPI, such as Nero if the machine has a burner, Office, yadda yadda. Hope that helps.

Edited by blinkdt

I, myself, have common programs I use.

Antivirus - Kaspersky

Downloads - uTorrent

Browser - Firefox

Instant Messaging - Gaim

Video Stuff - Vegas Video 6.0d

Virtual Dub

Fraps

Gaming - Steam

ESEA Client

DirectX 9.0c

mIRC

Notepad ++

Ventrilo

foobar2000

Uniextract

Codec Pack Found on forums (FCPack)

Hello,

Thanks for your reply blinkdt, judging from your response you've understood perfectly where i'm coming from. Windows Update v6.0 would be useful, rather than having to install it the first time you visit; Visual Basic 6 runtimes, another good suggestion as well as Java runtimes, Acrobat Reader and Flash / Shockwave plugins. I'd probably skip the rest of your suggestions, the reason being because they're either in beta or geared toward your personal tastes in software (winzip, diskeeper, avg etc...).

DRauch i almost forgot codecs, definitely something i'd consider an essential, notepad++ would be a worthy replacement for notepad too.

laze.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I think this thread is exhausted, as there's been no replies for sometime now. However, i did think of something else that may be considered essential, some form of cd-image reader, perhaps Daemon Tools or a preferred rival.

just_laze.

@Ctrl-X It's been so long since I have had to mess with DirectX, you're doubtless correct.

As long as you are adding .NET 2.0, laze, how about .NET 1.1? It's my understanding that 2.0 does not superceed 1.1, that you need both for different apps. Check me on that. I generally install 1.1 (HP Printer software relies on it these days) and skip 2.0.