Need help picking a CMS

tain

Which CMS for non-geeks?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Please consider news posting, adding downloads, and sending out newsletters

• WebGUI
    • Exponent
    • Joomla!
    • e107
    • xoops
    • Typo3
    • Website Baker
    • PHP Fusion
    • Drupal
    • Other

Oh man i was just about to post the same topic.

im currently using wordpress(well this was my first website so it was the easiest to use) but i have reached the point that wordpress cant satisfy me anymore,i mean the lack of add-ons and possibilities.

from comparisons from cmsmatrix and demo's in opensourcecms im gonna go with joomla.

@N1K could you integrate joomla users with IPB?

Edited by fatalwoomera

@N1K could you integrate joomla users with IPB?

Yes you can. You can use BBPixel script, available at (www.bbpixel.com). It is 20$ a year, with included updates and some extra plug-ins.

I haven't found any other way to integrate or merge users from two DB's (joomla<-->IPB)

@N1K,

Yeah BBPixel have an script for that price but i found a free way to do it from searching joomla forum and google:

http://azstreetscene.com/integration.htm

Note:pictures are not loading but it has detailes of the pictures so no need to worry ;)

Note:er i almost forgot,after you use this method IPB accounts that been made before the integration(even administrator account) wont be able to log-in.only accounts in joomla DB can.to enable IPB accounts TOO:

IPB admin pannel>tools&settings>login manager>ENABLE IPB INTERNAL

now both accounts can login :sneaky:

Edited by fatalwoomera

@N1K,

Yeah BBPixel have an script for that price but i found a free way to do it from searching joomla forum and google:

http://azstreetscene.com/integration.htm

Note:pictures are not loading but it has detailes of the pictures so no need to worry ;)

Note:er i almost forgot,after you use this method IPB accounts that been made before the integration(even administrator account) wont be able to log-in.only accounts in joomla DB can.to enable IPB accounts TOO:

IPB admin pannel>tools&settings>login manager>ENABLE IPB INTERNAL

now both accounts can login :sneaky:

I've seen this before, but had some issues with this, as far as I remember. I'll rather spend 20$ and get updates and bonus plug-ins for one year than mess with this. I really don't have time for this :unsure:

But I'm glad it's working nicley for you.

• 2 months later...
Joomla is indeed very good. I am running it right now as the potential replacement for the existing site. But it is also the CMS the prompted me to pose this question. I am able to use Joomla fine...but I showed it to two non-geeks (normal people? hehe) and they hadn't a clue.

as a Joomla Hebrew Core Team & a Joomla.org Q&T member - I should recommend it...

but I don't think that Joomla is a all-in-one solution, although almost everything can be add or built to it.

I think you should consider each site to its own story, & choose the most suitable CMS to satisfy its needs.

I haven't loaded Mambo but you are correct that Joomla is a derivative of it. They haven't been separate for very long yet (they are sill mostly compatible with plugins and database concerns) so I don't imagine it will have a much simpler interface.

Joomla is indeed the former Mambo, but they are seperated for almost 2 years.

Joomla does have backward support, because its the same base code & API.

I think you should leave Mambo out of the equation.

My recommendation is to stick with Joomla for the light sites (personal/company sites, etc)

Joomla has a User-Permission (ACL) vey limited which extending is just too painfull, but you can still have you-own editorial site.

Use Drupal as your developing capable CMS - if you catch Drupal's idea you'll find it very intuitive to extend, although requires a lot of job (therefore not recommended for small sites)

last but not least - have fun

if you find ourself struggling to built/convert each site - than you are on the wrong way...

Hey MTK, could you whisper me the release date for Joomla 1.5? :sneaky:

nope, because it is not known yet.

A 2nd beta was released not long ago, & there are still RCs on the way...