WPI 5.4 wishlist

Wish List...

1. For the multiboot fans and to save screen real estate, allow conditional installs based on OS, but only have one selection on screen. On Screen = Diskeeper, if OS==XP run setupPro.exe, if OS==2003 run setupSrv.exe (hope that makes sense)

Well you could use a .bat file for that (there's the %OS% var for that)

2. Once install starts, dont have the progress bar in its own window, but run it as part of the main screen with the app being installed overlayed on the progress bar.

You mean an on-screen overlay that shows the WPI install bar? I think that's hardly doable unless WPI is rewritten in another language.

I think however that a full-screen splash screen showing the progress bar and covering all the rest would be better.

Edited by Francesco

Wishes concerning "gcond"

I use it to determine if a program is already installed as in:

gcond[pn]=['FileExists("%programfiles%\\7-Zip\\7z.exe")']

However, if there is a newer version, I would like to override the grayed out condition: to be able to put a checkmark in the grayed out check box, so that the new version gets installed anyway (or is there a better way to achieve this)

Second, I would like to test a registry value by means of "gcond", so that is visible which registry tweaks are already installed.

Third, but this is rather the "cond" statement, I would like to test for the pc's name, so that something gets only installed on that pc, or on any pc except that one ...

(I'm currently migrating from WPI 4.3.8, I'll add other wishes when I think of them...)

I'm fond of WPI ! :thumbup

@soporific: mritter is working on a detailed manual for 5.4 that will explain everything in the options wizard.
What, it's a secret? i just guessed what it was, and have only just discovered i was wrong, or may be its something else ie i've got an unexplained bug, but it would be good to know for sure. I'm sorry to ask for this little piece of info now and not when the manual comes out, and I know I could just do trial and error until I get it, but i'm soo busy right now for reasons you really don't want to know so, can I just have the answer spoon fed to me just this once? Sorry to be a pain ...

@soporific: mritter is working on a detailed manual for 5.4 that will explain everything in the options wizard.

What, it's a secret? i just guessed what it was, and have only just discovered i was wrong, or may be its something else ie i've got an unexplained bug, but it would be good to know for sure. I'm sorry to ask for this little piece of info now and not when the manual comes out, and I know I could just do trial and error until I get it, but i'm soo busy right now for reasons you really don't want to know so, can I just have the answer spoon fed to me just this once? Sorry to be a pain ...

@sporific: I'm sorry if you were offended. As this is the wishlist thread, I thought you were making an enhancement request and not asking a specific question.

Edited by zorphnog

Hi all,

I wrote a script that checks the registry for a value and returns true if the registry value was found, and false if it was not.

Simply add the following to core.js for it to work.

function RegExists(enteredkey, regvalue)

{

position="core.js";

whatfunc="RegExists()";

var regshell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");

try{

regkey=regshell.RegRead(enteredkey);

}catch(ex){;}

if(regkey == regvalue){

return true;

}else{

return false;

}

}

I use this function on my uninstalls to grey out the lastest version of the software so that they are not removed when running the WPI. This example shows how to uninstall Spybot S & D but it will only uninstall it if the version 1.4 is not installed.

prog[pn]=['Uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy'];

ordr[pn]=[1];

uid[pn]=['UNINSTALLSPYBOTSEARCHDEST'];

dflt[pn]=['no'];

cat[pn]=['Uninstall'];

forc[pn]=['no'];

cond[pn]=['FileExists("%programfiles%\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\unins000.exe")'];

gcond[pn]=['RegExists("HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\uninstall\\Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1\\DisplayVersion", "1.4")'];

cmd1[pn]=['"%programfiles%\\Spybot - Search & Destroy\\unins000.exe" /SILENT'];

pn++;

Please consider adding a feature like this, or even this code to future version of WPI.

Regards

Ghost Shield

The most anoying thing about wpi = ShowExtraButtons=false

Each time i forget to open useroptions.js and edit.

Would be nice if there is some sort of button for this , so i can set them on and of ( true / false )

And that there are more lines then just 6 for a program to install.

Edited by muiz

more lines then just 6 for a program to install.
that is true, and I'd like to edit your wish to be a flexable field that accept add more commands, for example the default command fileds are 6, and if you wish to add more you can click a button on the config screen for the spacified application, because not all applications or .SFX require more then 6 fileds Edited by mgadallah

@muiz, in 5.4 (as far as I know), this problem will be solved. Those controls will be hidden when WPI is run from a removable drive.

I have a better idea: hide them when WPI files are read only! CDs/DVDs have all the files set to read only!

Edited by Francesco