Hard Drive Woes

Just 4 days after my 300GB sata drive (Maxtor) burst into flames at 3am, my (now) main drive an 80gb Hitachi Deskstar seems to be going west. I tried to re-install windows after Flyakite osx rubbished it, and after the first re-boot it gave me the error "Operating System not Found". So I rebooted and tried again. But now it won't get past where it detects the hard drives. It seems to recognise it and gives it it's correct name but refuses to procede any further.

I put the drive in my mums system just to see if it would work there, and it does. flawlessly. So, I thought it might be the motherboard but I tried numerous other IDE drives in it and they work perfectly. I really can't solve this one.

Steps I've done so far:

Tried it in another machine - successful

Tried another hard drive in my machine - successful

Flashed my bios - successful, but made no difference

Formatted the drive using my mum's pc - successful, but still didn't work in my machine

Run chkdsk on the drive - No errors at all

Search for physical errors - No errors.

If anyone can give any tips on this. i would be most greatful. I'm not worried about saving any of the data that was on the drive, so i'll pretty much try anything lol. The drive makes no funny noises and runs nice and queitly. I really hope someone can help!

Disk : Hitachi Deskstar IDE 80GB (about 2 yrs old)

Mobo : Asus a8v Deluxe

THanks

HougTimo

Seagate makes decent drives but their support is hit-or-miss. I recently had a really tough time getting a replacement drive from them.

WD is consistently the best with product AND service, IMHO.

Maxtor is horrible.

Make sure you check the warranty before you buy a new drive. You can tell a lot about a company and their products by the warranty they offer.

Lucky your house didn't catch on fire!!! I assume you had to fetch a pail of water to put it out.

I find "my hard drive burst into flames" a little hard to believe. But then again, it could happen.

Anyway, I doubt it was another one of those "it was a bad Maxtor".

I agree with puntoMX - I would suspect a bad power supply.

I let you know if a year if my Maxtor SATA II is still working or not.

Maxtor is great with support and RMA, replies within 24 hours...

I agree. I sent a Maxtor 200 Gb PATA back to Maxtor and got a new one. I thought the HDD was messed up. But when I tried the new one, same problem. I replaced the cable and what do you know. It was the cable!!

Silly me. So I always suspect the data cable first. Maxtor was nice enough to replace it, however!