Computer Expenses

Aegis

Computer Expenses  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How much money did you spend on your current computer?

• $100+
    • $300+
    • $700+
    • $1000+
    • $1200+
    • $1500+
    • $2000+
    • $2500+
    • $3000+
    • $5000+

And instead of buying 1 expensive computer, I'd buy 3 less expensive and keep them updated.

A friend of mine used to buy components and resell them on eBay whenever he wanted to change without loosing more than a few bucks (would sometime even earns money). This way he managed to have an updated computer during at least 3 years without paying a lot.

This is what I do, sold my AGP systems and bough mobos with PCI-E, just a few bucks more and I can throw in video cards. The AGP motherboards with the AGP video cards were more expensive then a PCI-E motherboard and PCI-E video card :D.

All of you who spent 1000+ are crazy.

I love computers but, 1000+!!!

You guys are rich or something.

Edit:

Wait a minute, which components constitutes a computer is not specified, since nowadays who can buy components individually. I didn't include the monitor since I already had it. I only included the box and everything inside it. Some parts are from my previous system so I saved money there (e.g. my hard drive).

Edited by spacesurfer

well i bought my stuff all at once since i was upgrading from a laptop...

usually when ppl upgrade they will keep their peripherals and their hdd, sound card, maybe case. so i guess ur right if u already have that stuff and u want to keep it. a new mobo, cpu, ram, and vid card can still cost alot tho. those are the main components, so for pretty good stuff: mobo-150$ cpu-300$ ram-200$ vid-250$ = 800$

thats not top of the line, but that will get you a nice system, for 1000$ u can get a rly nice gfx card or a rly nice cpu.

At the time (3+ years ago), $1500 for the following:

- Asus P4PE Motherboard

- 2.53GHz P4 Processor

- 512MB DDR PC2700 RAM

- 80GB Maxtor Drive

- 52x24x52x CD-RW Burner

- 52x CD-ROM Drive

- ATI 128MB Radeon 9000 Pro

- Floppy Drive :P

- Neon Light inside a case w/ a window that has glowing lights on the front :P

- Can't remember what power supply...

Since then, I have added:

- LaCie Firewire 400 PCI Card ($40)

- SB Audigy 2ZS PCI Sound Card ($ Don't remember... It was over $150 for sure...)

- Pioneer DVR-109 DVD Burner ($80)

Also have a 1.33GHz iBook G4 with 768MB of RAM and a 60GB drive. ;)

$2600 :o

Well you're crazy if you went with Intel :). And even crazier to have a custom paint job. I'd be more than satisfied just to have this case:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556060376.html

I really like the idea of selling your current hardware for more upgrades though, since computer hardware changes so fast that a 10 grand machine five years ago might only cost $500 nowadays :D. And yes, this is one $@%^ing expensive hobby :D.

Edited by Aegis

unless they are using older computing componets, they once contained silver and gold.

now im going to have to go through my bin of old computer stuff to find this gold and siler :P

as for the pain job, i wouldnt even spend that kinda money on a car's paint job :blink::lol:

anywho, time for breakfast for me B)

All of you who spent 1000+ are crazy.

I love computers but, 1000+!!!

You guys are rich or something.

I think $1000 is a **** good price for an upgrade. $5000 is utterly insane, but when you consider that number and look back at $1000, it doesn't seem so crazy. :P

if your in the market for a brandnew computer, 1000 is a great budget to have, but if your just buying a first computer and don't know very much about computers, often buying a used computer for about 250 - 500 bucks would result in a decent computer for internet and email and IM.

if i were going to upgrade my computer, i would just be upgrading the parts i want to be better. like my mobo, man that thing is slow, but it runs fine for me :lol: