Copy System Files Only Greyed Out

Tmod

Ok I have a strange thing going on here.

After I installed the Win98SE service pack I can no longer access the "Copy System Files Only" radio button from the format dialog box as it is greyed out.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks

Tmod

Nobody has any ideas as to what is causing this?

Tmod

Unfortunately, never had it happen before.. For now, I would just use the command promt instead of the gui functionality.

Hey, you happen to be Tmod.. Bios modding Tmod I have seen elsewhere on the net? Bootable cd for bios flashing I think..

Ok I have a strange thing going on here.

After I installed the Win98SE service pack I can no longer access the "Copy System Files Only" radio button from the format dialog box as it is greyed out.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks

Tmod

hmm, weird. I installed the Win98se SP 2.1a under my Win98 SE computer and I do NOT get this problem. are you trying to create at startup disk from the Format dialog box? Use the Create Startup Disk button from Add/Remove programs Startup Disk tab to make a Win98se Startup disk. Doing that from there creates a bootable Win98 system disk with CD-Rom drivers.

or from a DOS prompt inside or outside Win98se, type SYS A: to copy the Win98se startup files onto an existing floppy disk as long as the disk is not full.

Edited by erpdude8

Perhaps something happened to your C:\Windows\Command directory? I can't remember if it's 98SE or WinMe that has EBD.cab... check for that stuff first...

it's actually both. both Win98se & WinMe have edb.cab file in that folder. If it isnt there, re-install Win98se and create a Win98se startup disk during 98se setup.

bilemke,

Yep I am that Tmod.

erpdude8,

Yes I was trying to create a system disk from the format dialog box but as stated I don't have the access to the copy system files only button.

The command line way works and the create system disk way works fine.

jimmsta,

Yes the ebd.cab is in the Command folder.

Any ideas on what program or dll is called when you right click on the floppy drive and select format?

Any registry keys affecting this command?

Thanks for the replys so far!!

Tmod

Edited by Tmod

Petr,

I replaced the dskmaint.dll file I had with the original one from the Win98SE disk using system file checker and now it works like it is supposed to.

Many Thanks!!!

Tmod

I found this while looking at the 98SE2ME file install list.

Removed DSKMAINT.DLL WinME replacement from %windir%\SYSTEM [usually

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]due to reduced functionality = MUST use Win98 SE

DSKMAINT.DLL instead! [thank you Branden]

My file was the ME version so I guess that is the reduced functionality of the ME file.

Tmod

My file was the ME version so I guess that is the reduced functionality of the ME file.

Tmod

so it looks like the WinME version of DSKMAINT.DLL file should be removed from MDGx's 98SE2ME pack.

WinME's format dialog box no longer contains the "Copy System Files only" option. Microsoft took it out and the "Format /S" command-line option no longer works. Only way to create startup disks in WinME is to do it from the Add/Remove programs Startup Disk tab and clicking on the Create Disk button.

Tmod, you might want to create a Win98se startup disk from the Add/Remove Programs "Startup Disk" tab. Creating one there is a lot better than creating one from the Format dialog box or using Format /s and it will also put the CD-ROM drivers on there. Making a startup disk by using Format /S or from the Win98se Format dialog box will not add the CD-ROM drivers.

Now I remeber they removed this Feature in Windows ME so you can't start in DOS I think.

Picture

The window in the middle shows this.

But anyway you could have made a system disk over "Software" in "Control Panel".

Edited by winxpi

so it looks like the WinME version of DSKMAINT.DLL file should be removed from MDGx's 98SE2ME pack.

I believe it is removed but I never knew that the ME version was installed as I had originally used Gape's 98 service pack and it must of at one time contained the ME version of dskmaint.dll.

I am up and running with my "Copy System Files Only" available again so the problem is fixed.

Thanks to all for your help!

Tmod

Edited by Tmod

I have removed WinME DSKMAINT.DLL from 98SE2ME a long time ago: March 18 2005.

I have also added code into O2.BAT [installs options 1 + 2] a while back to restore DSKMAINT.DLL from Win98 SE setup CD, just in case some1 still has the WinME file by accident. ;)

HTH