Defragmenting your Hard Drive(s)

English isn't my native idiom, I'll try my best.

Folks all of you forgot a important thing: the relation cost/benefit

A hard disk is a mechanical equipment, if you defrag it every single day the cost of this must be very high!

It's so different the normal tasks you do when use it normally from defragment it. The headers are under a high load, moving data from different tracks,sectors, etc., and grouping them in a temporary area, after they are moved to another area, and so on.

I think once a week it's enough (it's the Vista default)

A hard disk is a mechanical equipment, if you defrag it every single day the cost of this must be very high!

It's so different the normal tasks you do when use it normally from defragment it. The headers are under a high load, moving data from different tracks,sectors, etc., and grouping them in a temporary area, after they are moved to another area, and so on.

Regardless of what strain you put a harddrive through, it is supposed to last several years. When it dies, get a new one and hope for the best.

you are exactly right. once a week would prolly be too much for me tho... once a month should be fine tho, but its not like my hdd needs it.