To shutdown or to hibernate?

Ok i just tried it out, "shutdown -h -t" function works like a charm.

But there is still problem regarding calling it from default box, and possible issue with windows giving me a warning -errro about unverified file, since its not microsoft signed.

I don't won't to use just on my comp, and I want solution to fit into default windows way, i just want to keep fasade, and change interiour.

Edited by Angelico_Payne

im pretty much out of ideas here, i know what it is you want to do now but i just dont have any ideas in this department. im pretty much done, ill offer any other information i can if the situation arises.

regards, cygnus

Not sure if you are aware of this, but anyway:

Right click on the desktop and select 'Properties'.

Go to the 'Screensaver' tab.

Click on 'Power'.

Go to the 'Advanced' tab.

In the 'Power Buttons' section, you can choose to Hibernate your computer when you press the Power button or Sleep button.

[Hibernate feature needs to be enabled for this to work!]

-Taj

Edited by taj

Look for shutdown25.zip on the net. Within this you have 8 different utils to shutdown the system. You can simply copy this ultra small utility on the desktop & double click on it. I have also posted this elsewhere on the forum.

to do easy hiberation

Winkey+U+H

provided hiberation need to be enabled

also refer the kb article KB893056

Thank you for this, it will be most helpfull in the future for me personally,

however I'm looking for a solution that will reverse the shutdown-hibernate functions in the shutdown box..

If anyone knows where this box can be located (name of the exe or dll) that would be a good start...

cause then I can work on hacking it.

Standby

In standby, the computer slows down and uses less electrical power. Programs continue to run in the background although the computer may appears to be off. The computer "wakes up" when it detects user input. With some computers, you can press the power button to wake up the computer.

Note: If your computer experiences a power outage during standby, all work that you have not saved is lost because the computer is still running in the background.

Hibernation

Hibernation, which reduces the start time, saves the complete state of the computer and turns off the power. When you resume from hibernation the BIOS performs the typical Power On Self Test (POST), and then reads the hibernation file, Hiberfil.sys, to restore the state of the computer. Everything that was running when you put the computer in hibernation is restored.

First off, are the users part of a domain or is this a local computer, and if so are these users admins or other assigned user groups.

Edited by Shindo_Hikaru