To shutdown or to hibernate?

I noticed that when hibernation is used it shuts down computer faster than regular shutdown, and it wakes up much faster, in fact you can resume almost exactly where you stopped. :thumbup

So I have 2 questions :

1. How can shutdown button in windows shutdown box be hacked so it does hibernation instead, whithout pressing shift key, and to make Windows OS use hibenation as default.

2. Are there any known longterm effects of hibernation, such as loss of data, disk corupption,etc? :blink:

I searched the internet across and wide, and found nothing of significance, so I'm hoping the u guys can helo me out or at least point me out in the right direction. B)

i dont think you can hack the button to do that. but if you computer is able to be shut down properly through the external power button, you can more than likely set it to hibernate the computer.

iv been hibernating my computer for a long time and i haven't had any problems. its probably a good idea to at least shut it down normally once and a while, because if you dont, its like running the thing solid for however long.

good luck.

i dont know if you know, but if you start the shutdown dialog and push Shift the standby button turns to hibernate. i dont know if thats what you want, but its better than nothing at this point. ill keep looking for ya. :)

Yes, I know for that option, thats how i first used it, now i use shutdown button which was configured to hibernation in the power propreties. But I have to configure it every time, and what i want is to change it in windows prior to installation, so when its installed, that its allready set up.

Thanks for continuing to look out, God knows I really need help with this little trick ;)

i thought of one other thing you can try and see if you like it.

if you turn off the welcome screen, you can have the classic windows 2000 shutdown dialog. when you set it to what you want, it always stays at that options, so you could just go start ---> shut down ---> Enter then it will hibernate. but youll lose the welcome screen and itll kinda look like windows 2000 when it starts up.

heres a screenshot of what i mean.

untitledoh5.th.jpg

to do this, go Start----> Control Panel ----> User Accounts ----> Change the way I log on or off ---> Use the welcome screen ----> Apply options

then close all that and save your settings then do a reboot.

the only draw back to this is you'll lose your Start Menu picture.

im still looking around, give me luck :P

i can probably make you a bat file that you just double click on the desktop or put it on your start menu in your programs that will work for this purpose too.

Edited by Cygnus

I was hoping of avoiding ugly (or as some say simple) look.

Do you know direct command for hibernation?

It would be very helpfull - i know that "shutdown -r -t 00" restats, and that shutdown is "shutdown -s -t 00".

Anyhow thax for trying hard for me, I am also browsing the net again in search of the missing link :)

heres the shutdown command for the hibernation via cmd prompt

RUNDLL32.EXE PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState

just paste that in a bat file, place a shortcut to the bat file on your start menu, then you can now just push "Start ---> Hibernate" then itll hibernate for ya :)

I have this info so far

-----------------------

To hibernate / suspend the workstation from the command line:

Enter: rundll32 powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Whether the workstation will hibernate or stand-by depends on the value of the "When I press the sleep button on my computer" setting found within the Power Options section of the Control Panel, and also on the power functionality available to your computer (ACPI).

This command can also be used from within a shortcut, or passed remotely using WMI.

--------------------

So I think I will have to modify settings in power options, and catch the change with regmonitor, and then have .reg file applied to every new comp.... and use batch, but thats not much better than pressing ALT+F4 + SHIFT+H...

I was hoping I could solve this problem entirly by .regging OS

I was wonfering if you know what file is called by OS when shutdown box is displayed? so maybe I ccan res-hack it, somehow, or rewrite it, mod it, or whatever...

unfortuneately i don't know too much about actually hacking the os.

the best information i give you, is to make the batch file with

RUNDLL32.EXE PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState

in it, then just put that on your start menu on the left hand side in the white space with all your custom applications.

i tested this on my laptop (which isnt ACPI compliant, just APM) and it works. maybe thats what you mean? :unsure: ill keep looking for information for ya though :)

im sorry, but thats all i can really do right now for you :no:

Edited by Cygnus

Thank you, although I havent found a satisfying answer, your insight have been much apriciated.

There are some things I found about hibernation effects.

It seems there can be problems, some are covered within SP2, but there are at least 2 pre SP3 hotfixes to coup with this :

Windows XP Patch: Hibernation Problem on Computers with 1 GB of RAM

Windows XP Patch: Hard Disk May Become Corrupted When Entering Standby or Hibernation

So I'm still in process of evaluating how smart this acctually is...

"How to avoid hibernation and standby issues

To avoid hibernation and standby issues, follow these practices:

• Do not make major changes to the computer's state after you put the computer in hibernation or on standby.

For example, if you put an undocked portable computer in hibernation or on standby, do not resume the computer when it is docked. Computers that are not ACPI-compliant may be more sensitive to this kind of state change.

• Do not force hibernation or standby when you are running certain applications.

Some applications do not respond well if you put the computer in hibernation or on standby when these applications are running. Applications such as CD and DVD burning software and system backup utilities may run incorrectly if hibernation or standby is forced. CD and DVD media may become unusable. Backup data may become corrupted. Always wait until these applications have completed their data gathering and recording tasks before you put the computer in hibernation or on standby."

This is from MSDN support page

well, for me i just use the regular shutdown/startup sequence all the time. i rarely hibernate, and when i do i don't have problems with it. now, it really depends on what your trying to do.

do you have multiple computers?

if so, its probably better to shutdown and startup, rather than hibernate to prevent you from having to fix your computers continuously.

anyway, i hope you can get more help on this issue, im sorry i could help any more.

ps: i do know that if you acidentally shut off your computer when its still shutting down, you can render the installation dead. i know this from having to goto the can very ugently :lol:

Edited by Cygnus