[Release] eXPander

XPero

eXPander is a front-end for expand.exe, makecab.exe and modifyPE.exe made in C# 2.0, similar to the great Compression Bin by jcarle. I know it isn't innovative, but I just wanted to put in practice my coding skills making a simple app like this, while at the same time improving in some fields Compression Bin.

expander7bu.png

TODO:

- Shell integration

- Progressbar

TOFIX:

- Cross thread operations

- Hang in dragleave event when "Show window content while dragging" is off

Notes:

- eXPander requires MS .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run

- Remember that it is still in development. Use at your own risk

Download Removed

I'll try it now, need to expand, modify, modifype, and makecab my winlogon.exe and uxtheme.dll. i'll let ya know if it doesn't work :)

great job btw... and what visual style is that btw?

Luna Element 4 :)

well i just finished my CD and ran it through VMWare with no problems at all. used your program for the expand of the original files, modified them to how i needed, then modifype and makecab'd with your program.. worked flawlessly :)

very nice program for lazy people like me haha :P

*and thanks for replying to the visual style question, i'll be running that one for the month of July if not longer =P*

Edited by Bi0haZarD

- eXPander requires MS .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run

What a wonderful piece of junk ! :blink:

It's an eye-candy GUI for something that a 4kb batch can do... and it need this #!$£%§ .net 2 : hundreds, yes hundreads of megabytes of disk space ; and so many RAM used...

For "space-savings-god" shake, rewrite it in another langage ! :lol:

Anyway, i have a little suggestion : split the window in two parts, one for expand, one for cab+modpe ; it will avoid clicks on the "switchbar" and make it even more intuitive ! ;)

++

What means "tbh" ?

i don't have .net 2. i do no longer use nlite since it requires .net 2 (previous versions were faster !).

i do no longer update other apps that are running on 1.1 if the new ver needs 2...

Even if eXPander could run with 1.1, i won't try it...

Here is the one-line batch to expand :

@for %%i in (%*) do @%systemroot%\system32\expand.exe -r %%i

Here is the one-line batch to modifype & cab :

@for %%i in (%*) do @(%systemroot%\system32\modifype.exe %%i -c & %systemroot%\system32\makecab.exe /D CompressionMemory=21 /D CompressionType=LZX /L %%~spdi %%i)

Name these two batches like you want, and place them in your SendTo folder (or place shortcut to them in SendTo, it allows you to change the icon and the console window apparence). Both batches opens only one console window to process all selected files, and place the output (expanded or cabbed files) in the source folder.

You can use spaces in the pathes, they are correctly quoted by explorer and by the FOR command (and "shortened" in 8.3 for /L makecab switch).

The second batch requires command extensions enabled (if unsure, add @setlocal enableextension as the first line).

/me stops polluating this great topic with ugly batches

++

Edited by Delprat

Even though delprat is being an a** he did have a good idea with the splitscreen suggestion.

Yeah, a** have feelings, a** have ideas too :P

I were (and is) thinking of something even more eye-candy. In the screenshot, the "switchbar" looks not so bad because of the titlebar (a sort of balanced effect). A sweeter solution is to get rid of both bars, it will be less boring : thus the "splitscreen" idea, maybe with two different icons and no text. Then, making its window rounded with some transparency plus an always on top setting and maybe fancy bouncing animations like UberIcon's will make it the wonderful-est toy for the windows unattended cd maker. :wub:

But this .NET 2 dependancy is crap. :crazy:

i think 'tbh' = 'to be honest'

Thanks ! But he (bledd) is wrong. There's so few apps requiring it...

++

Edited by Delprat

Why people is still afraid of .NET when it will be integrated with Vista and subsequent MS OSes? Will you switch to Linux or what?

@Delprat:

Stating that an app is a piece of junk just because it uses th .NET Framework is stupid. I think there is more interesting points to look at before defining an app as "junk". For example: Does the app do the job it says it does? Is it useful?. Oh, and if you are not going to use it no matter if it uses .NET 1.1 or .NET 2.0, why the hell are you posting at all? Finally, your idea of splitting windows isnt bad, I will try that (at least we got something positive from your comment).

Oh, and I remind you something from my 1st post: "I know it isn't innovative, but I just wanted to put in practice my coding skills making a simple app like this..."

Eh...the old .net dependency discussion.

It is big but it doesn't run in memory, except that .net 2.0 optimization service which is using almost no resources when needed and it's easily removable which i do.

But the whole .net is just a bunch of files sitting there if needed. I don't see any downside...if it is needed for at least one of your favorite programs.

Btw there is the Framework Lite on my site, it works for many.

They started it with MFC runtimes in c++, it's all the same principle, just smaller and less functions, or in developer terms more redundant work.