Codec slipstreaming

tain

• 2 weeks later...

Hello gentlemen :hello:

First thanks for this great program, or script, or how should I call. I like it it so much I was even struggling to put myself on HFSLIP worldmap :lol: (failed though, I'll try again I promise )

As I was reading this topic, I thought I might ask one-or-two thing. (I don't know too much about this subject, so sorry if I ask some noob questions :blushing: )

First, I thought codecs are such things which get updated rather frequently. Isn't that a problem to integrate (or slipstream.. difference?) them, then reinstall every time you want to update... but then you loose the whole advantage of the nonbloated slipped version.

Second, there is a codec pack known as CCCP, I was surprised no one mentioned it. What's the reason of that? Maybe it's not general enough... I mean as I know its mostly made by anime fans, maybe it does not support enough wide range of other formats? Is that? :rolleyes:

Again, I adore your achivemnts and this community here. I'm following your work for quite a time and I rarely see as lively buch of people... and exeptional knowledge. You are GREAT! :thumbup

First, I thought codecs are such things which get updated rather frequently. Isn't that a problem to integrate (or slipstream.. difference?) them, then reinstall every time you want to update... but then you loose the whole advantage of the nonbloated slipped version.
Some codecs do get updated frequently. Does that mean you need to use the update? Rarely. The only time you need to update codecs are when a version comes out that fixes some sort of security problem or adds new features in such a way that the currently installed codec cannot play the latest version. These things rarely happen with codecs. If you want to update your codecs every time a new version comes out that has some sort of minor optimization or bugfix then codec slipstreaming is not for you.
Second, there is a codec pack known as CCCP, I was surprised no one mentioned it. What's the reason of that? Maybe it's not general enough... I mean as I know its mostly made by anime fans, maybe it does not support enough wide range of other formats? Is that? :rolleyes:
We don't talk about it here because this thread is about slipstreaming codecs and I have never read that CCCP supports slipstreaming. It is a good pack and you might want to use it if you prefer to update you codecs frequently.
Again, I adore your achivemnts and this community here. I'm following your work for quite a time and I rarely see as lively buch of people... and exeptional knowledge. You are GREAT! :thumbup
I agree...the HFSLIP community rules! :thumbup

Thanks for your reply TAiN.

I think I can agree with you, and I'm not the one who likes running after the newest version all the time too, so probably I'll try to find some of the more general and stable codecs to slippstream. :yes: Suppose if I read this and tommyp's topics, then I'll have a clue which ones are those, right?

Another thing I might ask you is about the codecs which come with windows... (I dont know if 2000 has them but XP does) Intel Indeo 2-3-4-5 I think, and those ACM stuff. Back from nLite I was always wondering what might those be... may you explain it to me?

EDIT:

Sorry for asking this much in one time, hope you won't get angry on me :lol: So one more thing I don't know: do I need wmfdist to be slipstreamed if I'm removing WMP COMPLETELY? Is it useful for other players too?

Edited by whitehorses

Another thing I might ask you is about the codecs which come with windows... (I dont know if 2000 has them but XP does) Intel Indeo 2-3-4-5 I think, and those ACM stuff. Back from nLite I was always wondering what might those be... may you explain it to me?
Each version of windows comes with different codecs installed by default. Some of these codecs may be redundant for your version but that doesn't hurt anything. If people want stuff to be removed from the pack, such as the redundant MP3 and Indeo codecs, please post your request and the reason why you want it removed. More details at these links:

http://www.jmcgowan.com/avicodecs.html

http://www.codecguide.com/install_default_..._Windows_XP.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992/

EDIT:

Sorry for asking this much in one time, hope you won't get angry on me :lol: So one more thing I don't know: do I need wmfdist to be slipstreamed if I'm removing WMP COMPLETELY? Is it useful for other players too?

Angry? I am quite the nice guy, if you ask my mom :)

Yes, wmfdist is useful for other players as well. Be careful if you are using nLite though. From the first post:

Are there any problems when using nLite?

Do NOT remove "SOUND DRIVERS" or "Windows Media Player 6.4" or you will have codec problems. Please refer to TommyP's instructions for nLite compatibility.

hi whitehorses! hi Tain! i'm sorry if i was bit out of the loop recently to answer some of whitehorse's queries ... i was out for a vacation & just got hit by flu ... anyways, whitehorse it's nice that you adore the forum ... specifically HFSLIP ... :) & definitely you got some good answers from the moderator himself - Tain! ;) ... as already mentioned, not all codecs get updated regularly, only a few do recently (specifically XVid & DivX) ... as for windows media player codecs, this is what you can use:

Windows Media 9/10 codecs from KB891122 (5.91MB) / from KB900325 (29.0MB)

Needed file: wmfdist95.exe

KB900325 holds the newest version, but it's a larger source.

, you may read further here ... you have to extract the needed file & put it in HF for slipstreaming ... to add you may use either Tain's pack or Yzowl's mod/MSFN Codec Pack ... all may be found in the 1st page of this topic :)

Welcome back, Kiki. Hopefully you enjoyed your vacation despite your illness!

There have been some updates to a few different codecs recently and I should have some time to update the packs next week if people are interested.

Please let me know if there is a specific update that you would like to see.

• 1 month later...

I just made some comparison runs to see how well this works compared to no pack and compared to the MSFN Codec Pack. This pack fared much better than I anticipated.

Using this pack to play the test videos, there were only two files that had unexpected trouble: I263.avi and Huffyuv.avi.

The MSFN Codec Pack also had trouble with huffyuv.avi, but it played I263.avi. It did not play the VP6 codec.

Please note that these results do not include the unsupported formats like FLV, QT, etc.

QT and Real are dreadfully hit-or-miss. They work for some people but not for others. I provide them as separate packs for those who wish to try them out. The MSFN Codec Pack team decided not to include them at all since they are so troublesome. Most people agree that the "Alternative" installers are the best option for QT and Real.
No change, and I don't anticipate it changing.
If someone manages to get the required files to support H.264 together I'll be glad to host them with the rest :)
No change here, either. Does anyone have the bare-minimum files required for H.264 support? If so, I can either host them or integrate them.