[Info] Aero Vs Non Aero

3aces

Albuquerque could you show me some links ?

Microsoft has been talking about this for quite a long time; D3D10 (the actual name, notice it's not DX10, there is no DX10 any longer) is available only for Vista because it is directly tied to the new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM).

Here is a Microsoft Powerpoint named "Intro to Direct3D10" that explicitly defines D3D10 being available only on the Vista platform (see pg 68) There are other sites out there too, just hit Google and type in D3D10 and you'll find an onslaught. If you do Google, make sure to read the search results carefully -- you can install the SDK for development of code, but you can't actually run a D3D10 renderer on anything other than a Vista OS.

Sorry to give everyone the downer, I figured most people knew this by now if they were following Microsoft's DirectX announcements with any frequency :(

Albuquerque could you show me some links ?

Microsoft has been talking about this for quite a long time; D3D10 (the actual name, notice it's not DX10, there is no DX10 any longer) is available only for Vista because it is directly tied to the new Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM).

Here is a Microsoft Powerpoint named "Intro to Direct3D10" that explicitly defines D3D10 being available only on the Vista platform (see pg 68) There are other sites out there too, just hit Google and type in D3D10 and you'll find an onslaught. If you do Google, make sure to read the search results carefully -- you can install the SDK for development of code, but you can't actually run a D3D10 renderer on anything other than a Vista OS.

Sorry to give everyone the downer, I figured most people knew this by now if they were following Microsoft's DirectX announcements with any frequency :(

:o

I have only used Vista for about two weeks, and when i switch back to my other pc which has XP, something is missing. I am really liking the "feel" of Vista. I don't know if its the rush of having "something new" or what. But i am really feeling Vista, especially Aero. Yes i agree that the OS is bloated as all heck. Plugging in my pocket pc phone, opens a sync page and brings everything to a crawl, which i hate! :realmad:

But still i really like the feel. So yes there is definitely more to an OS than its look, but deep down, why did anyone upgrade to XP from 2000 (the only real difference is the look)

Count me in mostly for looks :thumbup (i'm working on the other reasons to upgrade as we speak, such as security, stability, etc)

my two cents

-s

But still i really like the feel. So yes there is definitely more to an OS than its look, but deep down, why did anyone upgrade to XP from 2000 (the only real difference is the look)

I too love the vista look and feel!

however i would like to say there were a couple of reasons i don't go back to 2000 other than the looks

picture preview

cleartype

user switching

true support for HT processors (since i have a p4 and before i bougth the dual core that was a real annoyance with 2000, i know you can disable it, but i don't like the idea of disabling something that give a real noticable difference to the responsivness of a computer)

tray notification area, ( ilike how you can hide icons..not sure if that counts as a look but its something you miss)

wireless support

well to me there was a difference from using it, have you tried using lcd monitors without cleartype since getting used to?!

also i'd like to think theres more than vista than the look and feel, but i can' think of anything so far thats had things that xp really don't have from a users point of view, compatability seems better tho (running xp64, and some things that do'nt work in xp64 work in vista 64, also you have dx 10, ... but then i can't say anything about that yet as no games are out..or video cards as previously stated!)

i do feel tho 2000 to xp should of been a service pack for 2000, to add the xp features, but then i suppose they do need to make money! :w00t:

hrmm since i gave a list of features of xp i liked, i would also like to say i hate how they took out the preview pane (from 2000) on the folders in explorer, like you could listen to songs watch videos and see picture in the left pane of the right side of explorer (if you get what i mean, i miss being able to listen to an mp3 without having to open an audio player)

BTW how can i enable the Aero Glass environment with 3D desktop on my Intel GMA900 (aka 915 on board graphics card) ???

is it possible ???

yes it is

Give This A Try

but its gonna be v v v slow, u might have to disable a few services to allow more RAM

Edited by POW!!

BTW how can i enable the Aero Glass environment with 3D desktop on my Intel GMA900 (aka 915 on board graphics card) ???

is it possible ???

yes it is

Give This A Try

I don't think this has worked in the last 7 months, since the December CTP.

That same site has a forum and there is a post here with that very question, saying that only cards that support it will show it now.

RAM doesn't have that much to do with Aero Glass, it's more the graphics card (and driver) requirements, something like DX9, Pixel Shader 2.0, 64MB graphics RAM (possiby 128MB for resolutions >1024x768), AGP 4x or faster, WDDM/LDDM driver.

If you have PowerPoint there is a slideshow from Microsoft here.

I installed Vista and it ran fine, though it had a lot of bloated stuff which I didn't like. Aero runs fine on my computer, its performance was alright.

I'm using an Athlon AMD 64 CPU and I installed the 64 bit version of Vista. And it took up more RAM and disk space. When I compared the 32 bit version, it look up less space and RAM. So I'll stick with the 32 bit version.

[mode=shouting]

All 64-bit versions of all OSes will always take more memory. That's all. There's nothing that can be done. If you want to know if Vista 64-bit uses more RAM, you have to compare it with Vista 32-bit with PAE enabled.

64-bit lets you use more RAM because adresses in memory are encoded on 64-bit whereas they are encoded on only 32-bit on 32-bit processors. Makes sense no ?

No ? Let's do some maths : 2^32 = 4*(2^10)^3 = 4GB.

2^64 = 16*(2^10)^6 = 16 somethingB.

Now do you agree ?

When a program is running it doesn't access variables using their names but using their adress in memory. And all these adresses have to be stored somewhere. I know it seems weird to store in memory things needed to access memory but this is the reality.

[/mode]

is it possible ???

yes it is

Give This A Try

I don't think this has worked in the last 7 months, since the December CTP.

That same site has a forum and there is a post here with that very question, saying that only cards that support it will show it now.

RAM doesn't have that much to do with Aero Glass, it's more the graphics card (and driver) requirements, something like DX9, Pixel Shader 2.0, 64MB graphics RAM (possiby 128MB for resolutions >1024x768), AGP 4x or faster, WDDM/LDDM driver.

If you have PowerPoint there is a slideshow from Microsoft here.

this does work i used it to enable aero on my laptop after driver installation messed up!!

this does work i used it to enable aero on my laptop after driver installation messed up!!
Didn't work for my Dell Latitude D600 laptop ATI Radeon Mobility 9000) using Vista build 5384.

Didn't work for my Dell Latitude D600 laptop ATI Radeon Mobility 9000) using Vista build 5384.

hmmm im not sure but if someone can confirm.. i read somewere mobility cards arent compatible at this stage with glass!!

but im sure i've also seen drivers around

hmmm im not sure but if someone can confirm.. i read somewere mobility cards arent compatible at this stage with glass!!

but im sure i've also seen drivers around

most mobolilty card are not working because of the lack of memory or other missing requirements

Windows Aero requires:

DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:

Supports a WDDM Driver.

Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.

Supports 32 bits per pixel.

Adequate graphics memory.

64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels

128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels

256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels

Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP

ignore the last line as the upgrade advisor still doesn't work right :(

on my D600 with the mobility 9000, here are the stats

biggest thing is that it does not support DX 9 so that kills it right there, also it supports UP to 128 mb of ram for graphics, most are 64 or 32 mb though.

Don't be suprised if most onboard graphics card won't run aero, like Mr Snrub said, there is no more Reg keys to turn on Aero, it only will turn on when it finds the above requirements are met. expect that old chipsets (ie the 915) the 945 chipset might support aero but anything above the should be able to support it,

can't spell :)

Edited by fizban2