[Info] Aero Vs Non Aero

3aces

A quick note about DX10

You will not see DX10 (or it's proper name, whatever that might be these days) on any previous version of Windows. That includes XP, MCE, Server 2003, 2000, you name it; you will get an upgrade to DX9.1 or something similar... Why?

Both "new" versions will have support for later hardware, but DX10 will bring performance improvements (in some cases, quite massive ones) because of the way it interacts at the kernel level. More specifically, the new Windows Display Driver Model makes a fundamental change to CPU context switching requirements, constant buffer support and data transfer batching -- among a ton of other items.

The net result is a "whole new way" for Vista to interact with the video card and vice versa, a way which fundamentally cannot be "emulated" by any previous Windows operating system.

Sorry. If and when we see DX10-only games, it will be Vista-only too.

I thought I would also note that DirectSound got a huge upgrade using the same thought process. A lot of time went into moving things far away from Kernel mode, which far-reduces context switches which automatically offers quite a bit of extra performance. Pushing nonsensical "not actually important" things out of kernel mode also provides for a far more stable operating system should anything go wrong. It also allows for much better batching and queuing of work, and making pieces of "stubborn" hardware actually play nicely with eachother.

Edited by Albuquerque

Albuquerque could you show me some links ?

Not that I don't trust you but I'm interested and would like to read more.

Also, I found :

arghhh.PNG

So you have to pay for stability ?

And does anyone know whether classic and XP styles will use graphic cards, or is there absolutely no need and nothing to be improved ?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW :o

alot of stuff i didnt even know about lol..

erm about wot camarade tux posted that stablility thing must be a mmiss print... why would microsoft make a stupid mistake like that... if your to bilud an OS stablilty is offered in all versions otherwise no point of upgrading... unless its a marketing technique they using to get people to buy the premium version

erm about wot camarade tux posted that stablility thing must be a mmiss print... why would microsoft make a stupid mistake like that... if your to bilud an OS stablilty is offered in all versions otherwise no point of upgrading... unless its a marketing technique they using to get people to buy the premium version

I hope so but I checked the screen and on the bottom-left corner it says WinHEC2006 ! *glups*

You don't make such big mistakes. *fear*

You're taking it out of context - the Standard features require a WDDM display adapter rather than the current classic style driver, and it is here the inherent increase in stability arises, as it's a different driver model.

The Starter version of Windows is aimed at much, much lower spec machines which are not capable of WDDM anyway.

Home Basic and Home Premium both will support WDDM display drivers, going from that chart.

You're taking it out of context - the Standard features require a WDDM display adapter rather than the current classic style driver, and it is here the inherent increase in stability arises, as it's a different driver model.

Ok, I did not think about that. However, I never had a single crash because of my graphic drivers. And I only know one computer which crashes because of its nvidia drivers (though the computer HAS to crash; it should be formatted and cleaned)

But what you said makes sense, but looking at the presentation I had no way to guess that. ;)

However, I never had a single crash because of my graphic drivers. And I only know one computer which crashes because of its nvidia drivers (though the computer HAS to crash; it should be formatted and cleaned)
You're lucky ;)

nv4_disp.dll is the root cause for a huge number of bugchecks, as are AV filter drivers.

However, I never had a single crash because of my graphic drivers. And I only know one computer which crashes because of its nvidia drivers (though the computer HAS to crash; it should be formatted and cleaned)
You're lucky ;)

nv4_disp.dll is the root cause for a huge number of bugchecks, as are AV filter drivers.

Using a Radeon here, but on three other computers it is nVidia. The one that crashes is a laptop with a GeForce4 440Go and crashes on nv4_disp.dll. Maybe that using the DELL original drivers will lead to stability but with newer drivers at least I can use "Clone" mode. :}

drivers are the root of 9/10 crashes.... but i promise you rite Vista is something else... mines beta 2 installation only crashed once it was due to iexplorer but other than that its taken a beating i played games and everything and my 6100 chipset is doing fine

Did you use th econfig you have in your sig ?

I see you have an nVidia card; were drivers from MS or did you install some newer from nVidia ?

I read their drivers were more crashing than ATI's ones. :?

Also, have you had any problem with your SATA2 drives ?

im currently not using my card but my onborad 6100 chipset fing.. drivers are from nvida havent crashed once and the nforce drivers are working fine but i, have an unknown device in device manager i think the sata controllor is playing up not sure on how to test!! :o

i have been running the latedt Nvidia driver off their website, been running very smooth, no crashes... only thing the BUGS the hell out of me is the screen flash when UAC kicks in, unlike my laptop that just jumps to the dimmed screen my LCDs at home flicker, and fresh back to the dimmed UAC screen. it is driving me nuts...

i have been running the latedt Nvidia driver off their website, been running very smooth, no crashes... only thing the BUGS the hell out of me is the screen flash when UAC kicks in, unlike my laptop that just jumps to the dimmed screen my LCDs at home flicker, and fresh back to the dimmed UAC screen. it is driving me nuts...

disable it, i have disabled alot of services in my installation as long as you which ones you disabled if you get problems you can just enable them

Areo style is good for home people. I just hope they will provide some stuff to disable it in corporate environment... Or at least to disable it by default, and then if people want it, they can re-enable it.

Areo style is good for home people. I just hope they will provide some stuff to disable it in corporate environment... Or at least to disable it by default, and then if people want it, they can re-enable it.

hmmmm yeah that could be a good idea