[Release] XPize 4.4.2

XPero

• 3 weeks later...

hi... i ran into a problem that i tought was solved... after installing the xpize 4.4.1 pack, i can't disable my network connection anymore... it says it is used by another protocoll... i know the problem was caused by the netcfgx.dll file, but what can i do ???

Version 4.4.2 released. Check first page for more info.

@surcix:

I can't reproduce the bug, so no way of trying to fix it. Try uninstalling all Dll files and see if the problem persits. If yes, uninstall Exe, Cpl, etc..If the problem is fixed try installing XPize again and unintall dll one by one (yeah I know it is tedious, but it is the only way to know which file is causing the problem).

Hello,

I just found out about XPize, because there was a news on the german newssite winfuture.de

I really like it, but I can't get version 4.4.2 to patch my 7-zip DLLs. I didn't try older versions of XPize.

Is it a bug in XPize? The setup outputs something like "XPizing zip.dll" and so on with the other DLLs, but the "date of change" of the files didn't change and there are still the old icons inside. I am using 7-zip v4.42.

Maybe XPize doesn't like the fact that I installed 7-zip onto a second partition, not into the standard program-folder. But this also works with eMule and XPize was able to install the emule-theme.

XPize is using the global variable $Programfiles, no matter in which partiton the program files folder is. It will not patch. however, if you just created a new folder and installed 7zip on it.

Why not just get the path-value out of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\7-Zip

?

In my case it is "d:\7-Zip"

As far as I understand Xpero Xpize looks for 7-Zip in the default system path for programs (%PROGRAMFILES%). As I install all my programs in a seperate path on another partition, Xpize does not recognize 7-Zip. You can bypass this by copying the 7-Zip dir to C:\Programme before the installation. After the installation you can copy the contents of the folder to the real dir.

If you update 7-Zip (which probably happens quite often) you obviously lose all the changes. You can only avoid this by installing 7-Zip to the default path ATM.

NEver used XPize...but I intend to correct that unfortunate mistake...so I am curious. If I install XPize I need to leave it running all the time? And also I am hesitatnt of getting the .NET framework and have it eat system resources just to run XPize...

NEver used XPize...but I intend to correct that unfortunate mistake...so I am curious. If I install XPize I need to leave it running all the time? And also I am hesitatnt of getting the .NET framework and have it eat system resources just to run XPize...

Xpize is an "install-and-forget" application. .NET Framework is needed for XPize Settings, a bundled app which lets you tweak some desktop settings. XPize itself does not need .NET, so you can install it without problems. If you want more info, go to XPize's website and download the guide located in the home page.

Thanks for the very fast reply XPero! I just am being very cautious right now since I am away from home and so I dont want to botch my XP installation because I cant afford to lose my work stuff....despite having backups.....just a headache i want to avoid. I will do as you suggested. Thanks!

Why not just get the path-value out of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\7-Zip

?

In my case it is "d:\7-Zip"

As far as I understand Xpero Xpize looks for 7-Zip in the default system path for programs (%PROGRAMFILES%). As I install all my programs in a seperate path on another partition, Xpize does not recognize 7-Zip. You can bypass this by copying the 7-Zip dir to C:\Programme before the installation. After the installation you can copy the contents of the folder to the real dir.

If you update 7-Zip (which probably happens quite often) you obviously lose all the changes. You can only avoid this by installing 7-Zip to the default path ATM.

That's right, I did it this way. But is it so unusual to install an application not to the standard-folder? I guess it's a better idea to get the path of the application out of the registry, like in my example. Then you can install 7-zip whereever you want and XPize could still recognize it. Most applications put their path into the registry, so why not get it there?

Edited by DerEineDa

@suryad - XPize isn't something that runs in the background - it patches the files that are already loaded with Windows. If you're worried about it affecting your system, install it on a VMware computer to see the differences.

I got it working. I like it. Its a great little tool/software. The icons definitely look a lot more professional and I like the startup and shutdown screens as well. Very nicely done! Excellent work!