Pre built torrent

marjorieproops why do you post the question ?!

It's illegal to post any ISO of a shareware product.

But anyone can post all customized files, scripts, winnt.sif (without key sure),$OEM$ folder (without shareware sure)

After just merge with existing source and burn.

It's not hard and it's legal.

I posted the question because I like the idea but don't currently have the time to build it from scratch. I thought it would be illegal but thought I'd check.

I own a licensed and legitimate copy of WinXP.

You got a guilty conscience or what? Nobody ever mentioned you actually owning Windows. Regardless, it's illegal even if both parties involved own Windows XP and have hard evidence to prove it. So if you don't have the time to learn how to do it on your own, then this really isn't your forte. :unsure:

marjorieproops, One users ideal setup is another users nightmare setup, you`d probably spend more time testing each install to find the `ideal` setup for you than if you dived in and learned how to create your own, and really it`s not that difficult once you get your teeth into it.

If you realy need this then you`ll make the time.. otherwise you can probably do without. ;)

You got a guilty conscience or what? Nobody ever mentioned you actually owning Windows.

I imagine he said that before somone jumped in accusing him of not owning a copy of windows, which is usually what happens in these types of threads.

I have a good rule of thumb for situations like these (which is generally valid) - if you have to ask, you already know the answer to the question.

Yep and it`s also ok to want a second opinion from someone more in the know on the subject. More often than not it sparks of discussion where you can generaly learn something. Something you wouldn`t of learned if you had kept your gob shut ;)

It's illegal even if both parties involved own Windows XP and have hard evidence to prove it. :unsure:

I thought it was legal if you both already owned the license since thats what you paid for when you bought the software, I'm probably completely wrong but I thought it would come under fair use if you actually are a licensed owner of the software.

Isn't everyone being a bit harsh? In the beginning, I wished I could find the perfect installation CD, quickly and easiliy, without having to learn a ton of stuff. Now I know what has already been said: what is perfect to one is not perfect to another. Set aside the legal issues and the answer to the original question is: no, you won't find the perfect installation in torrent form. If you want the perfect installation CD, you must do it yourself.

So, marjorieproops, do alot of reading then take your legit copy of XP and make your "perfect" copy of XP. Then try again. And again. And again. You get the idea. Six months now and I'm close, but still haven't make the "perfect" installation of XP. Maybe one of these days... :whistle:

LOL You will find you never have the "perfect" unnatended CD. Alot of us have been at this for years and still are never done there is always new methods and more s*** to add.

My install is near perfect yet I still am updating it monthly and playing with tweaking it.

LOL You will find you never have the "perfect" unnatended CD. Alot of us have been at this for years and still are never done there is always new methods and more s*** to add.

My install is near perfect yet I still am updating it monthly and playing with tweaking it.

That is to true just when you think it done you find some thing else to try or add.

It's illegal even if both parties involved own Windows XP and have hard evidence to prove it. :unsure:

I thought it was legal if you both already owned the license since thats what you paid for when you bought the software, I'm probably completely wrong but I thought it would come under fair use if you actually are a licensed owner of the software.

DMCA (So I'm discussing American law) says you can modify software you own, but you cannot distribute your modified software. This was made clear when a Russian man hacked some abandonware to make it work with Windows XP and then put the software on his website. Russian law says that's okay to do as long as you're not circumventing any type of security measures. But US law said what he did was illegal. And since he was in the US, he was convicted and sentenced to one of our prisons. The US laws regarding digital media were very premature in their infancy, and they just haven't been able to keep up with the times. I figure eventually the DMCA will either be completely wiped and spawn a new set of digital copyright laws, or it will be completely revamped.

But in terms of Windows XP deployment ... that's between the consumer and Microsoft. It's legal for people to deploy Windows (whether network or discs) as long as it's all under the same ownership. It's not like this is something that anyone is going to crack down on anytime soon. Besides, if the government were crack down on someone, MS could easily say that person had permission to redistribute it. And from a PR standpoint, that would most likely be their reaction. They wouldn't want it to go public (look what happened to the RIAA when they went after people) and/or be compared to the Linux alternative of free distros.

I could be completely wrong. Perhaps MS's EULA says that you can build your own distribution and give it to your friend with the same original copy, but judging by how incredibly strict they are in their EULA (I read somewhere that they specifically say that you are NOT allowed to use the uxtheme or tcpip hacks), I highly doubt this is the case.