BIOS update

LarryAllen

This may not be a problem best addressed on this forum but have a question.

Let me begin by saying that I “built” this machine using an MSI 7125 K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard already installed in a case with power supply, “blank” hard drive, and power supply. I pretty much just added the CPU and a second HDD on which I installed XP Pro. Powered up and was successful almost immediately. Through the use of another forum I got some very good advice on Nvidia drivers that I needed to install for proper recognition of all of the hardware, etc. As things progressed, every indicator was that the original drive (SATA 1) was not performing any quicker than the main drive, an older IDE DMA 100. This puzzled me (I still am), but in the course of researching the issue I downloaded several pieces of hardware performance analyzing software and among them was Sandra Lite.

One of the first issues “warnings” I received from Sandra was that my CPU1 voltage was too high. So I visited the AMD site and found that my setting (per CMOS) of 1.45 exceeded their recommended range. So I went back into CMOS and reset the voltage to 1.35; a subsequent check of Sandra showed my CPU1 still outside of range (2.10v); it also picked up a CPU2 voltage of 3.30v, which I have no clue about.

At any rate on the MSI forum I noticed someone had referenced using CPU-Z to look at voltages as they were experiencing problems with voltage regulation. So I downloaded CPU-Z and ran it on my machine; the first thing (a good I think) I noticed was that my CPU voltage certainly was no where near the Sandra value; however, the second thing I noticed was that it varied regularly, almost by the second, with values ranging from 1.26 up to 1.39. Again I revisited the forum to review the solutions that had been suggested to eliminate the fluctuation issue; first was, disconnect any fans directly connected to the motherboard and reconnect them directly to the power supply. Did this, no joy! Second suggestion was that the power supply was insufficient, not in my case – my 12v rail puts out 34amps. The final suggestion was to update the BIOS; which finally brings me to my question.

One of “Sandra’s” suggestions was that my BIOS was not current. I checked this with CPU-Z and find that I am running Phoenix Technology Version 6.00PG dated 6/23/05. So my guess is that my BIOS/CMOS probably does need an update; however, almost everywhere I’ve looked has advised against updating a stable system, which aside from the voltage issue, mine is. So the first part of my question is, should I update? The second part of the question would be, how is this done, i.e., what site do I download from and how is this accomplished. I have read many “horror” stories associated with “flashing BIOS” and using “Live Update”, etc. All in all, updates seem pretty dicey and I really can’t afford the time of having my machine go down; on the other hand, I don’t want to damage my CPU or any of my other components. Suggestions anyone?

i would update to the latest stable version that they have available

just dload the new bios and it should guide you thru it. most likely it will have u put a floppy in and u will have to boot from the floppy to install the bios.

If Sandra does not give the right values try Lavalys EVEREST, it gives very complete information about your hardware (also HDD) including downloadlinks for drivers. There are 3 editions, the Home Edition is free and very good, the development stopped but the latest version does not give fault values.

I would also recommend updating the BIOS, it can solve many problems. Although your version is already recent (for a BIOS). Use a reliable Windows based flasher wich should be included in the package, otherwise it's with a bootable floppy. You can find your BIOS here: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/msi%207a9xxx.htm or maybe on the manufacturers website.

It's possible that Sandra isn't showing you the correct voltages. MSI probably has their own utility...try that one to see what it says.

I would take what CPU-Z says as the correct value. The variation you're seeing in CPU-Z is probably from your power supply. If it's a cheap or low-end power supply you'll get flucuations like that. What power supply do you have now (make/model/etc)?

Thanks to all; you can ref. my power supply in my sig.; don't believe that's the issue. At any rate used CPU-Z last evening off and on; I have core set at 1.35; fluctuations I'm seeing range from 1.33 to 1.37. As I understand the ATX PSU spec's, certification requires +/- .05% which I'm seeing, so can't fault the PSU. Biggest question is to whether or not I'm damaging the CPU A64 3000+ Venice. I believe that I referenced having seen a prior post relative to this issue and the recommendation that if all else failed to try BIOS update. As I said, this is perhaps the last thing I want to do, if I'm OK with the CPU @ these fluctuations, I'll leave well enough alone. Purely as an afterthought, the CPU Temp's range from 35.5 to 40 C, these is OK too, right? Again thanks everybody.

+/- 0.01 voltate fluctuation is pretty much normal. I've seen more fluctuation on perfectly stable systems.

Your temps should be fine as well. They will vary depending on how much work the CPU is doing (i.e. doing standard web browsing, email checking, etc it'll run at the coolest temps, but playing a 3D game, encoding movies/music it'll run higher).