Multi-Terminals..if thats what its called

hellmet

Hello people,

I am planning to setup a cyber cafe in my area.

I'm not a thorough expert, so I need some Info.

This is my first question.

I'll be asking more in the coming weeks.

Please bear me!!

I'd like to know

If I cud make several users work on the same computer,

but with individual monitors and Kbs??

I mean same CPU..same HDD, same all..

but multiple connections to monitors and kbds...

each with his/her own interface!!

Yaa this mite be a wierd question...but I never got to ask it.

Please avoid making fun. Post only if u want to.

-hellmet

Though you can do it, performance will suffer and setup will be time consuming. Also, if one computer user crashes the computer or some other problem arises, you should expect to lose all of the terminals connected. It would be better to just get a bunch of low end pc's instead of paying major $$$ for a few really high end ones, unless you're planning on hosting games as well. (Then you would want a bunch of high end machines. Each user having their own.)

You could try making different virtual machines. That way, if one machine crashes, it won't affect the other machines. You will need a powerful computer with lots of RAM though. Another solution might be to use Terminal Services, which is built into Windows.

But why do you want a number of users on the same pc???

Cost is most likely the factor.

@general question: besides, how was this done back in the old days, with those green (or white) and black terminals used in banks, where all you see was two cords coming out of the wall, one for the monitor and one for the keyboard? Some sort of timesharing unix thing? :huh:

how was this done back in the old days, with those green (or white) and black terminals used in banks, where all you see was two cords coming out of the wall, one for the monitor and one for the keyboard?

Those are called dumb terminals or thin clients. :)

If all you're doing is hosting a place for them to check email, surf the web, and things like that then I would suggest looking into a decently powered server and using Terminal Services. You would then get a couple of "dumb terminals" (Wyse makes some of the best) to connect to the Terminal Server.

Another piece of software I recommend checking into is SiteKiosk. It's specifically geared towards running public kiosks and internet cafes. There are addons for it to control the amount of usage time based on payment.

http://www.sitekiosk.com/

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

There must be something critically wrong with this thread because I read the posts over and over and I want to punch the OP and yell "XP EMBEDDED!" for some unexplainable reason. That can't be right. :blink:

You have one computer and you want to setup several thin clients to connect to it?

I don't understand here...

If it was one person wanting to use several computers at once I would say get a KVM switch, but it's the other way around. This problem was originally solved by getting another computer but you seem to have a problem with the cost of materials. -_-

My solution would be to setup a very powerful server and have a bunch of low-end workstations networked to it.

There must be something critically wrong with this thread because I read the posts over and over and I want to punch the OP and yell "XP EMBEDDED!" for some unexplainable reason. That can't be right. :blink:
Follow the Wyse link in my post and look at their products. :D
My solution would be to setup a very powerful server and have a bunch of low-end workstations networked to it.
Terminal Server + Wyse thin clients = solution :)

Ive never tried it myself but the PXES thin client OS might be worth a look. The website says it will let you connect to a windows terminal server or citrix server, as well as others. Hardware requirements would be very minimal compared to running a full blown OS, and it would be a lot harder for the users to screw around with the client OS this way.

I'd like to know

If I cud make several users work on the same computer,

but with individual monitors and Kbs??

I mean same CPU..same HDD, same all..

but multiple connections to monitors and kbds...

each with his/her own interface!!

Something like this HOW-TO Build a 6-Headed Workstation, perhaps? It's a bit experimental, and the person doing this one took things to the absolute limit.

But with USB keyboards and rats, you can get 6 "heads" onto a single PC, without any vmware/virtualisation nonsense.

Yours in Red Lectroid Domination,

John Bigbooté

• 2 weeks later...

Cheapest way would be like John Bigboote says.

But first some questions:

A) What kind of services you are giving to the people?

B) What is your budget per user space?

C) How good is your Linux knowledge?

D) Any speacial wishes? ( no, hardware for free isn´t included :lol: )

If I was you I would do this:

Workstation:

Motherboard from ASRock link,

AMD Sempron64 2500+, 256MB RAM, DVD-ROM, cheap *ss keyboard from Genius and optical mouse, headphones with microphones, 17" Samsung CRT screens.

Server: Just a router and a switch.

Software: Knoppix Linux Live DVD.

EDIT: The Biostar M7VIG400(7.x) with integrated AMD Athlon 2200+ (32 bit) is low cost, NEVER touch PC-Chips ever in your life ;)

Edited by puntoMX